VirtualBox in unRAID

It got lost in the huge post

::) Oops. That'll teach me to speed read. It sure would be nice to have a wiki link with kernel versions for all the unraid releases. :)

My 4.7 is 2.6.32.9-unRAID

Release notes give the information, however it is spread out with other changes. This link should show all the kernels, just not quickly & easily. http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Server_Version_5.0-beta_Release_Notes

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suspect that anyone running an unraid version with the same uname -r results should be able to use this package without issue. I don't know which versions of unraid use which kernel, so if we have the kernel version for your build it would be simple for someone to check their version to see if it matches.

Some of the recent UnRAID versions, and their kernel versions:

2.6.27.7-unRAID     4.4.2
2.6.31.6-unRAID     4.5
2.6.32.9-unRAID #1  4.5.3
2.6.32.9-unRAID #2  4.5.4
2.6.32.9-unRAID #5  4.5.6
2.6.32.9-unRAID #8  4.6
2.6.32.9-unRAID #8  4.7
2.6.37.6-unRAID #3  5.0-beta8d
2.6.37.6-unRAID #4  5.0-beta11
3.1.0-unRAID        5.0-beta13
3.1.1-unRAID        5.0-beta14
3.3.2-unRAID        5.0-rc1
3.0.30-unRAID #3    5.0-rc2-test
3.0.30-unRAID #4    5.0-rc2
3.0.31-unRAID       5.0-rc3
3.0.33-unRAID       5.0-rc4
3.0.35-unRAID       5.0-rc5

Silly question,

As I have been researching installing vb (my last hurdle for my unraid box to be done) and I could not help but notice that it seems that the preferred location for the vb install is on cache drive? I've only have a total of 5 drives with no cache at the moment and at this point do not know if I will go the cache drive route for my server... So my question is there any harm in installing to my flash drive? If space is an issue my thumb drive is 32gb with ton's of space so I don't see that as being an issue.

A not so silly question,

Before I attempt to install vb, is there anything that should be backed up in case things go sour? I think that is my biggest fear would be to loose my unraid install and be forced to start all over (its been a long painful road to this point)

Lastly,

One of the things that really sold me on unraid in the first place was the general friendliness of the forum regulars. Not only is this a mighty fine product (first os I have ever purchased much less felt was worth the money) but in all the posts I have read here, I have not seen one example of jerkstore n00b bashing responses to obvious questions. Keep on rocking folks.

Thanks.

-b

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine you probably want to wait until 5.0 final but any chance of a version for the kernel in the latest RC?

Right now I am making several modifications to my case, similar to what Litlgi74 did in http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative. Once I get finished (or at least to a good stopping point), I may do more versions (depends also on how easily I can setup the different versions inside VirtualBox).

I've been pondering updating from 4.7 to 5.  I tried to test with rc6 and I can run the scripts to install virtualbox, but I can't start VMs.  I get this error:

WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
         available for the current kernel (3.4.4-unRAID) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Waiting for VM "Beka.test3" to power on...
VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'Beka.test3' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component Machine, interface IMachine, callee

The only change I made to the script is to change the location of the linux sources from 2.6 to 3.x

[ ! -e "linux-$KVERSION.tar.gz" ] && wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-$KVERSION.tar.gz

Should I be using a different unraid version?  Any help would be nice.

... any chance of a version for the kernel in the latest RC?

I just updated my post at http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10978.msg189422#msg189422 to link to my public folder instead of just a single file.

I created a package for Virtual Box 4.1.18 running the current latest unRAID version 5 RC 5 (kernel 3.0.35) in a virtual machine. I have uploaded it to my SkyDrive.

Anyone care to test it for me? If there are problems, I may have to start over again, but it looked good as it compiled (no errors).

Enjoy!

Going to try to do one for unRAID 4.7 next. Will post once I have it available.

Any other version requests? May do more if requested, but think it would take too long to try to hit every version of unRAID (especially if no one using a particular version is interested).

Version for unRAID 4.7 available now also. PM sent to jonathanm for 4.7 & mrow for 5RC5.

I can only say with certainty that the version I use for unRAID 5b11 is working, but the other 2 compiled & packaged without errors.

Please let me know if you use them & how they work for you. If there are any issues, I will try to help.

Link to my post with instructions & my skydrive link in my signature.

Hi,

So I tryed your tgz file on rc5 and it installes and works fine. (after I install the extension pack).  So I'm now running rc5 with no problems.

There must be a dependancy problem with rc6 and version 3.4.4.  I don't think we need to spend much time on this until unraid 5 goes final.

Will you update the wiki with 3.x link to the kernel?

Thank you for letting me know the version for rc5 is working, unmaniac.

Sorry about missing rc6 previously. I used the main unRaid download page instead of the forum page for the latest version.

I now have a version of VirtualBox for rc6 with kernel 3.4.4 on my SkyDrive. As with the version for 4.7, it is currently unverified as working, but I saw no errors while making it.

*** Version info so far ***

vbox-4.1.8-unRAID-2.6.32.9.tgz compiled on unRAID 4.7 w/ kernel 2.6.32.9

vbox-4.1.8-unRAID-2.6.37.6.tgz compiled on unRAID 5 b11 w/ kernel 2.6.37.6  ~ tested & working

vbox-4.1.8-unRAID-3.0.35.tgz compiled on unRAID 5 RC5 w/ kernel 3.0.35  ~ tested & working

vbox-4.1.8-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz compiled on unRAID 5 RC6 w/ kernel 3.4.4  ~ tested & working

* Edit August 07, 2012 to fix a typo in a kernel version.

* Edit August 13, 2012 to add that RC6 has been tested & works.

* Edit August 18, 2012 RC6 has a test1 & test2, both use kernel 3.4.4 & should work with the version I compiled for kernel 3.4.4 on test1.

Hi Everyone,

I was able to get this installed and running today on Unraid RC5.  I am encountering an authentication issue which I believe has to do with the service running (and trying to remote authenticate) as root.

I was able to disable this issue by running the following command against the webservice:

VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

vboxwebsrv -H 127.0.0.1 -v

This turned off websrv authentication and I was able to connect without any problems.

My phpVirtualbox passwords were correct in the config.php script and I have enabled the php Authentication for the time being.  Does anyone know how to permit (root) to authenticate properly to vboxwebsrv or, and the better solution of course, how to run the service and Virtualbox as another user?

I am encountering an authentication issue which I believe has to do with the service running (and trying to remote authenticate) as root.

Does anyone know how to permit (root) to authenticate properly to vboxwebsrv or, and the better solution of course, how to run the service and Virtualbox as another user?

Did you use the plugin for SimpleFeatures to install your web server & PHP? I did not have to do anything with config.php in my setup. When I open a web browser to the port where phpvirtualbox is installed, I am only prompted with on login box (the default login is admin / admin)... I am not prompted to login with my unRAID user/pass.

I have not changed much from default, but my guess would be to chown & chgrp the directories to the user you want the services to run the services. Then run the commands to start the services as that user.

Something like:

root@tower:/opt# chown username /opt/VirtualBox
root@tower:/opt# chgrp username /opt/VirtualBox
root@tower:/opt# su username
username@tower:/opt# vboxwebsrv -H 127.0.0.1 -v

I am not sure how you installed your web server & php, so that may have something to do with why you were presented with different logins... I also have not tried changing the user from root, but the above listed changes are typical for changing how something is run in Linux.

... are you using the same scripts that are in the wiki?  I've been trying to use them to build my own version of the tgz file, but it's not working for me.

I am using the instructions found on that wiki page... not the scripts at the bottom.  I think I tried the scripts at some point, but as it says it "doesn't have any control for errors or missing links"... something was off, but I am not sure where. I'm familiar enough with Linux to like to see the step by step (but not sure how easily I could have done it without the instructions / guide).

I download VirtualBox, gcc, glibc, binutils, make, cxxlibs, perl, patch, ncurses, mpfr, gcc-g++ from the links at the top of the wiki page using wget. Depending on which version of unRAID, wget the appropriate kernel from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/. Run the command "installpkg *.tgz", etc...

Actually been building them inside a VirtualBox running on my Windows 7 system... so I have a few steps to prepare it to boot into unRAID before all that.

I moved to unRAID 5.0 latest beta - clean installation (previously used v4.7).

I have difficulty setting up VirtualBox.

I downloaded the vbox package v3.4.4 from "lainie" skydrive and placed it in the "extra" directory on the flash drive.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10978.msg189422#msg189422

I installed simplefeatures web server and set the directory to "/mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/VirtualBox_Server/phpvirtualbox"

my go script:

VBoxManage extpack install /boot/extra_my/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.18-78361.vbox-extpack
vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null

I have the following errors:

Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: VBoxManage: error: Runtime error opening '/root/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml-tmp' for reading: -102 (File not found.).
Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: VBoxManage: error: /home/vbox/tinderbox/4.1-lnx32-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[3398] (nsresult VirtualBox::saveSettings())
Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component VirtualBox, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: Context: "COMSETTER(WebServiceAuthLibrary)(Bstr(a->argv[1]).raw())" at line 827 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

How can I fix it and continue?

I moved to unRAID 5.0 latest beta - clean installation (previously used v4.7).

I have difficulty setting up VirtualBox.

I downloaded the vbox package v3.4.4 from "lainie" skydrive and placed it in the "extra" directory on the flash drive.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10978.msg189422#msg189422

I installed simplefeatures web server and set the directory to "/mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/VirtualBox_Server/phpvirtualbox"

my go script:

VBoxManage extpack install /boot/extra_my/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.18-78361.vbox-extpack

I have the following errors:

Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: VBoxManage: error: Runtime error opening '/root/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml-tmp' for reading: -102 (File not found.).
Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: VBoxManage: error: /home/vbox/tinderbox/4.1-lnx32-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[3398] (nsresult VirtualBox::saveSettings())
Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component VirtualBox, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
Aug 18 10:42:10 Tower unraid_addon_control.sh: Context: "COMSETTER(WebServiceAuthLibrary)(Bstr(a->argv[1]).raw())" at line 827 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

How can I fix it and continue?

First I want to start to make sure you have the right version for your unRAID. Telnet to your unRAID server & type uname -r

Make sure it says 3.4.4-unRAID. The latest version 5 on the download page is version 5 RC5 (kernel 3.0.35). The latest versions on the forums are version 5 RC6 test1 & test2 (kernel 3.4.4). *Edit - Your signature still lists 4.7 for your unRAID version.*

Once you have verified all is good with the versions, there are a few other things to verify. You used SimpleFeatures for the web plugin & set it to "/mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/VirtualBox_Server/phpvirtualbox"... ok that looks good.

Did you download phpvirtualbox-4.1-7.zip from http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/downloads/list, extract the files & place them in "/mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/VirtualBox_Server/phpvirtualbox"?

Did you download the extension pack? I see where you list you downloaded my compiled version of VirtualBox, but you do not mention downloading the extension pack. The extension pack has to be kept a separate download due to licensing. It can be downloaded from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.18/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.18-78361.vbox-extpack. While the extension pack is not required, it does add some useful features & the first line of your go script is trying to install it.

Next your go file. You say you downloaded the VirtualBox package to your "extra" directory on your flash drive... but in your go file you are using a directory called "extra_my". Check that you have the file in the correct directory (typos can cause things to not work).

I do not see where you are telling it to install the VirtualBox package. Assuming that the directory is "extra_my", your go file should look more like this:

installpkg /boot/extra_my/VirtualBox-4.1.8-unRAID.tgz

Also a difference in your go file is the line "VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null". TBoomer2 used this command & was having an authentication issue. I have not had to use this command. I would recommend trying to start VirtualBox with just the 3 commands above. If you run into issues with authenticating, then can try changing this later. I am not sure it is necessary.

The first line of errors you listed is saying a file cannot be found. I suspect that is due to not running installpkg. Let me know what you find with the above information & if you get it working for you. Good luck.

I managed to get it to work.

because the vbox 3.4.4 package is under the extra folder it is run automatically before the go script is run so it is installed.

And yes I did download the extension pack (just forgot to mention it) and it is the one being installed under the go script.

Where I had the error "Runtime error opening '/root/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml-tmp' for reading: -102 (File not found.)." I created the folder custom/vbox (which is where the .VirtualBox links to) on my flash drive and set the authentication to off "var $noAuth = true;" in the config.php file (under phpvirtualbox folder).

I managed to get it to work.

because the vbox 3.4.4 package is under the extra folder it is run automatically before the go script is run so it is installed.

And yes I did download the extension pack (just forgot to mention it) and it is the one being installed under the go script.

Where I had the error "Runtime error opening '/root/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml-tmp' for reading: -102 (File not found.)." I created the folder custom/vbox (which is where the .VirtualBox links to) on my flash drive and set the authentication to off "var $noAuth = true;" in the config.php file (under phpvirtualbox folder).

I am glad you got it working. Thank you for letting me know & posting what worked for you.