[SOLVED]First step.. already a problem...

jakebake

Built my unraid server and just installed 4.7 onto my flash drive. Stupid question but do you move the whole zip folder over or open it and move everything in it over? Anyways I tried both ways and it just says "verifying DMI pool data............Updae Sucess

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I also tried booting with out the flash drive in to go into the bios and it says the same thing

sounds like your PC is not booting from the flashdrive, or it checks the flash drive and does not see at as a bootable device. You have to properly set up the flash drive to be a bootable device.  Search the forum for things like "make flash drive bootable".  Also check the wiki, it describes how to set up a bootable flash drive

Quote from: copied from release notes

To make a bootable USB Flash device using Windows (XP/Vista/Win7), follow these steps:

1. Plug your USB Flash device into your Windows PC.

2. Open 'My Computer' (XP) or 'Computer' (Vista/Win7) and right-click your Flash device. Click 'Format...', set the volume label to UNRAID and then click 'Start'. Important: the volume label must be set to UNRAID (all caps).

3. Click on your Flash device (to open it) and drag then entire contents of the unRAID Server zip file to the Flash.

4. For Windows XP, click on the file 'make_bootable'.  A DOS window will open and run the 'syslinux' utility on the Flash.  For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file 'make_bootable' and select 'Run as administrator'.

5. Once again, right-click your Flash device in 'My Computer' or 'Computer' and then click 'Eject'.  Your Flash device is now ready to boot into unRAID Server OS.

sounds like your PC is not booting from the flashdrive, or it checks the flash drive and does not see at as a bootable device. You have to properly set up the flash drive to be a bootable device.  Search the forum for things like "make flash drive bootable".  Also check the wiki, it describes how to set up a bootable flash drive

Quote from: copied from release notes

To make a bootable USB Flash device using Windows (XP/Vista/Win7), follow these steps:

1. Plug your USB Flash device into your Windows PC.

2. Open 'My Computer' (XP) or 'Computer' (Vista/Win7) and right-click your Flash device. Click 'Format...', set the volume label to UNRAID and then click 'Start'. Important: the volume label must be set to UNRAID (all caps).

3. Click on your Flash device (to open it) and drag then entire contents of the unRAID Server zip file to the Flash.

4. For Windows XP, click on the file 'make_bootable'.  A DOS window will open and run the 'syslinux' utility on the Flash.  For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file 'make_bootable' and select 'Run as administrator'.

5. Once again, right-click your Flash device in 'My Computer' or 'Computer' and then click 'Eject'.  Your Flash device is now ready to boot into unRAID Server OS.

yeah I totally missed this step when i first read it, but I just did and it is still giving me the same error. When I ran it as administrator it brings up a command with the flash drive key and says to press any key so I do ad it closes. I then tried booting again and still nothing.  :-\

ok here we go... when i press any key it says something and then closes to fast to read so I hit print screen and it caught it...

here is what it says

Make bootable

Volume in drive F is UNRAID

Volume Serial Number is 4***-****

F:\syslinux -ma F:

Press any key to continue....

'F:\syslinux' is not  recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Built my unraid server and just installed 4.7 onto my flash drive. Stupid question but do you move the whole zip folder over or open it and move everything in it over? Anyways I tried both ways and it just says "verifying DMI pool data............Updae Sucess

I also tried booting with out the flash drive in to go into the bios and it says the same thing

You want the contents of the zip file.

You want the contents of the zip file.

yeah I figured that .... i ran the make bootable as administrator and that is what i got in the post above

Archived