Antec NEO ECO 400C - Newegg $34.99 + free shipping

queeg

queeg - I have no practical experience mind you, but 15 seems a little low.  On a 400W PSU, that would be 27W per drive at spin-up.

Finding spin-up wattage is pretty difficult, but the unRAID calculator uses 30W for a regular drive, and the WD Greens have power saving technology to lower spin-up power drain.  I did find this site that lists power consumption at spin-up to be 14W (see the chart about 3/4 of the way down the page).

This would imply this PSU could handle 28 drives... am I missing something?

queeg - I have no practical experience mind you, but 15 seems a little low.  On a 400W PSU, that would be 27W per drive at spin-up.

Finding spin-up wattage is pretty difficult, but the unRAID calculator uses 30W for a regular drive, and the WD Greens have power saving technology to lower spin-up power drain.  I did find this site that lists power consumption at spin-up to be 14W (see the chart about 3/4 of the way down the page).

This would imply this PSU could handle 28 drives... am I missing something?

It's the amps that are important for spin up.

I just speced a build for a customer using the 520W version.  The only thing I don't like about antec PSU's is that they do not come with a power cable.  I have quite a few of those sitting around, but I wil eventually run out.

I'm sure I read in some press release that one of the points of it being "ECO" was that they didn't include a power cable. As they deemed that most people already had spare power cables and hence forth by not including one they were eliminating waste and saving the environment.  ;D

Archived