Comment on parts list

cool_runner

I plan on redoing my unRAID server before upgrading to the Pro version. Below is my parts list

CPU: Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P5B-VM DO

Memory:  CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800  (this was from a desktop I upgraded)

Controller cards:  PROMISE SATA300 TX4

PSU:  CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W

Case: CM Stacker

Any comments, particularly on the CPU are appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bill.

I have narrowed my choices down between two processors

Intel Dual-Core E2140

Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L

Between the two I noticed that the Celeron 420 has a TDP of 35W, whereas the E2140 has a TDP of 65W. However the E2140 has Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology which should help with power consumption.

Price difference is around $15, but what is more important to me is power consumption. Any suggestions as to which will use lower power?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks I am interested - is that reading with the Celeron 35-watter or the Dual-Core 65w?

My parts list is almost identical to yours (although I'm just buying the innards and getting a case here in India - so no CoolerMaster for me) and I'm wondering why you needed the Promise Card - need more than the 7 (+1 E)SATA drives - or am I missing something?

Also how'd you get the power reading? Kill-a-watt? Wish I had something like that in 220 here, since power consumption is a huge factor for me with 6 hours of daily power outages (run on batteries).

Archived