Samsung F3 HD203WI and SMART temp reading?

I saw an all WD20EARS drive v4.7 build where the parity drive was a Samsung F3 HD203WI, all 2TB drives. This box revealed a spin-up disk noise from time to time although all drives were shown as spun down. The log shows at that time some messages like: kernel: mdcmd (345): spindown 0

Is it possible that the HD203WI do not support smart temp reading when spun down and thus it gets spun up to read smart and is then immediately spun down again?

To answer my question, it seems that the Samsung F3 HD203WI doesn't support smart temp reading without spinning up. I am reading the temp each two minutes and each two minutes I hear a spinup noise from a single HD203WI and get at the same time the syslogd message from mdcmd about spinning it down, as the disk should be in spun down state.

Not a problem with WD20EARS though. They all return smart temp reading without spinning up.

So, it seems that the HD203WI is not a wise choice for people desiring software fan speed control based on actual HDD temp readings.