New Plus Key And WD 2Tb Green Not Recognised(SOLVED)

I have just added my 4th drive(WD Green 2Tb with jumper) after purchasing the plus key, however my system will not boot if the new drive is plugged in (power,sata), if I unplug the new drive, so back to 3 drives, no problems. I have triple checked the GUID and it is correct, and in the config folder as directed.

In the unmenu page, if I plug the drive in after booting the system it appears in 'Drive Partions - Not In Protected Array' and I was able to start a preclear cycle on it, however stupid me forgot to take the powerdown script out of my 'go' file so the server shutdown in the middle of the night, 12 hrs into the preclear, which seemed to be prgressing no probs.

So before I do anything else, I need advice please

Have attached sys log

thanks

syslog-2011-03-08.txt

I'm going to go on a guess and say its probably your Bios seeing the new drive and assigning it as the boot device. You need to put in your new drive and select your USB in your Bios Settings as the boot device.

Thanks Kizer will give that a go and report back, and thanks for moving the post, wasn't sure where to put it

Does the top right corner of the unRAID GUI say 'unRAID Plus' or 'unRAID Basic'?  If it says 'Plus,' then the Plus license key is being properly recognized.  If not, then something is wrong.  The license key must have a .key file extension and it must be placed in the 'config' folder on the flash drive, not in the root folder.  If it still isn't working then there might be something wrong with your flash drive.

Does the top right corner of the unRAID GUI say 'unRAID Plus' or 'unRAID Basic'?  If it says 'Plus,' then the Plus license key is being properly recognized.  If not, then something is wrong.  The license key must have a .key file extension and it must be placed in the 'config' folder on the flash drive, not in the root folder.  If it still isn't working then there might be something wrong with your flash drive.

Hi Rajahal,

The GUI says 'UnRaid Server Plus', the file has the .key extension and is in the config folder. File name = Plus.key

I disabled all 4 drives in the BIOS, had the flash drive as the only boot device, no joy.

Disconnected the new drive again, fires up no problems.

I have 2 other WD Green drives and they were no problem installing(with jumpers etc)

mmmmmmmmm....... what next?

Is the 4th problematic drive recognized by any other computers?

Edit: Wait, sorry, you mentioned that it is recognized in unMenu.  That indicates that it is OK.  I was thinking for a minute that the 4th drive may just be dead.

What PSU and motherboard do you have?

Is the 4th problematic drive recognized by any other computers?

Edit: Wait, sorry, you mentioned that it is recognized in unMenu.  That indicates that it is OK.  I was thinking for a minute that the 4th drive may just be dead.

What PSU and motherboard do you have?

MB = Asus M4A88TD-M

PSU= Corsair 400W Model:CMPSU-400CX

The drive becomes visible in unmenu GUI if I plug it in after the system is running, it is not visible in the unraid GUI

OK, I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and success, unraid starts and the new drive is visable under both GUI's(unraid and unmenu)

However, the device sequence has changed

originally it was: Parity - dev/sda

Disc 1 - dev/sdb

Disk 2 - dev/sdc

new disk dev/sdd (when visible)

now the new disk and disk 2 have swapped eg: disk 2 is now dev/sdd

and the new disk is dev/sdc

is this some thing to worry about?

OK, I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and success, unraid starts and the new drive is visable under both GUI's(unraid and unmenu)

Disc 1 - dev/sdb

Disk 2 - dev/sdc

Thanks Brit,

I worked out what I'd done, I had left Sata 3 port open because I thought this 4th new disk would be inserted earlier, so the sata 4 port was calling it dev/sdc, cool, now to preclear.

Cheers

Disc 1 - dev/sdb

Disk 2 - dev/sdc

Thanks Brit,

I worked out what I'd done, I had left Sata 3 port open because I thought this 4th new disk would be inserted earlier, so the sata 4 port was calling it dev/sdc, cool, now to preclear.

Cheers

The actual device names are assigned by the OS as the disks spin up and are initialized.  The device names can change from one boot to another.  unRAID does not care.

I figured it had to be a Bios thing, but honesty with so many Motherboards, chipsets and drives its often hard to really nail it down.

Glad your up and running.  ;)

Ditto.  I was getting that creeping feeling that this issue was going to stump me.  A BIOS update didn't even occur to me.  Glad you figured it out.

I figured it had to be a Bios thing, but honesty with so many Motherboards, chipsets and drives its often hard to really nail it down.

Glad your up and running.  ;)

Ditto.  I was getting that creeping feeling that this issue was going to stump me.  A BIOS update didn't even occur to me.  Glad you figured it out.

Seems like a few people are having the same issue,re other posts in this section, but thats one reason to use Unraid, support, eventually things get figured out.

21 hrs into the preclear and so far so good.

thanks again for your time

Archived