Connecting to a VPN on Unraid Server

stradle

I am using Giganews for newsgroup access and they offer a safe VPN to connect to and use for download traffic to secure it.

I was wondering how I would go about connecting via my server to this VPN?

Thanks

...not clear to me what you're about to achieve.

Let's suppose that you'll get to manage the VPN connection from unRAID to that external service...

...where is the client application (that'll be a newsreader?) going to run?...unRAID is not your router...thus a scenario

where unRAID is going to provide that VPN connection/route as a service for other workstations in

your home network is not going to work.

I will look in to the VPN clients as that is what I thought.

Anyone able to recommend one?

@Ford -

The newsreader is Sabnzbd+ and is a web application which runs on the unraid box.

By connecting to the VPN service, any internet related traffic will then run through the VPN.

Not sure what impact this will have on other things on the Unraid box.

@Brit -

Virgin Media have started capping the download speed for Newsgroups and apparently running it through a VPN using SSL means they cannot actually track the traffic. This was try and remove the cap that they put on the speed.

@Ford -

The newsreader is Sabnzbd+ and is a web application which runs on the unraid box.

By connecting to the VPN service, any internet related traffic will then run through the VPN.

Not sure what impact this will have on other things on the Unraid box.

Ah...understood...thanks for the clarification.

According to giganews advertising on their website

they offer a variety of VPN protocols....OpenVPN and IPSEC are both suported.

Don't now if there is an easy setup for finding/using the client running on the unRAID box.

If the connection is planned, configured and set-up correctly, most definitely not any

internet related traffic will/should run through the VPN.

That said I'd find it more flexible and appropriate to leave the VPN management to your broadband router.

This way, you can have more than one connection at a time and things like auto-(re)connect are

normally a setup like 1-2-3-finish.

Needless to say that exposing unRAID directly to the internet (being it via VPN or not) is NOT a good idea.

There are some other threads in the forum you could continue to read regarding that topic.

BTW:

My router supports IPSEC out of the box with the manufacturers firmware.

If your router does not come with a VPN suitable client, check if you run a common router

model, where an alternative firmware like dd-wrt will work.

It can offer versions that include at least openvpn.

Archived