Ideas for budget (~$300 or less) PreClear server solicited

hklt

I'm at the stage where I'm near-out of usable slots on my current server and am mapping out longer-term support for replacing drives as they fail. Since I won't have any on-board bays in which to preclear drives, this leaves an external option - a dedicated preclearing server.

I've already discarded the temporary re-purpose of existing Windoze box/lappie option due to:

a. takes the box out of use for too long

b. bays require tools

c. using external USB docks revert to item a.

d. limited to one drive preclear at a time (only 1 bay, don't want to use USB)

I'm considering the "5 Drive miniBox" configuration in the Recommended Builds section as a starting point (and likely a default go-to unless this thread gleans more interesting options):

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#Recommended_Builds

I figure loading something like that up with the Free/Basic version of unRAID will give me the drive support I need, as well as providing for relatively tool-less hot-swap bays.

Any of you mad modders have alternates (either as pie-in-the-sky ideas or actually in use)?

I need a preclear server with multiple bays as I often need to preclear multiple drives simultaneously for my client's builds.  However, I don't really see the need for a multi-bay preclear server for a regular unRAID user.  Most users expand by one drive at a time, so one bay should be enough.  Why do you need multiple bays?

I use my 6 drive miniTower as both my beta testing server and as a dedicated preclear box (pics in my prototype thread).  You can run a maximum of 6 simultaneous preclears at once from the system console, so it seems to fit pretty well.  Check out my prototype builds threads for other ideas.  There are smaller designs too, such as 3 and 4 drive servers.

I agree that an HP microserver would be nice too, and cheaper than any of my designs.

Does your main server have an eSATA port?  If so, you could just get a cheap eSATA docking station like this and voila, a cheap external preclear port.  You could even hide it away when not needed.  Only gives you one preclear bay, though.  I think something like this would work too.  That's just one example, there's probably cheaper options as you don't need one that supports hardware RAID, just JBOD.

You don't need an unRAID license to use preclear to its full potential, so no need to buy another unRAID license just for a preclear box.  unRAID Basic is fine.

I also like the Thermaltake V6's top mounted slot as a dedicated preclear slot.  You have to sacrifice some space in the upper-most 5.25" bay to use it (meaning you can't pack the case with three 5-in-3s), unfortunately.  Probably much larger than you need for a dedicated preclear server, but it's an option.  My primary suggestion for a preclear server would be to definitely opt for something with a trayless design, as you don't want to have to mess around with screws and cables for a drive that you may have to pull out and RMA.

I need a preclear server with multiple bays as I often need to preclear multiple drives simultaneously for my client's builds.  However, I don't really see the need for a multi-bay preclear server for a regular unRAID user.  Most users expand by one drive at a time, so one bay should be enough.  Why do you need multiple bays?

Shotgun theory  :D

I figure the minimum buy-in would be around $300 regardless, so the multiple bays would be a gimme. Sure I suppose I could forego the hotswap multi-dock, but that still results in a case with >1 drive bay/slot AND doing tool-based mount/unmount of drives. In other words, I don't think a single-drive solution would be that much cheaper anyway.

I agree that an HP microserver would be nice too, and cheaper than any of my designs.

This is an intriguing option which I wasn't aware of (see, the thread's paying off already!  ;D). It's especially inviting for the fact that I wouldn't need to build anything at all. Worth thinking about, for sure.

Does your main server have an eSATA port?  If so, you could just get a cheap eSATA docking station like this and voila, a cheap external preclear port.  You could even hide it away when not needed.  Only gives you one preclear bay, though.  I think something like this would work too.  That's just one example, there's probably cheaper options as you don't need one that supports hardware RAID, just JBOD.

The X8SIL mobo doesn't have native eSATA on board (this is actually a build you did for me Raj  :)) but I suppose I could throw a eSATA card on one of the PCI ports. This actually prompts me to ask: is unRAID capable of addressing (for preclear purposes only) attached drives >than the supported maximum? In other words, if I'm already maxed with 21 data drives and I attach a 21st (or more) drive, would unRAID show these in the Devices page (since I need to get the ID for preclear) and then allow running the preclear script against them?

Thanks for the input!

I use an external hard drive dock that currently is connected by esata.  I attached a fan to mine because I use it all the time.  But for just preclearing any type of air flow would work, even having exhaust fans from a case blowing on it is enough.

Something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

That's definitely an inexpensive way to go, even taking into account my need to purchase an eSATA card. Thanks!

if you can get your hands on one of the HP Microservers I think that would work pretty well for this purpose and would not be to expensive.

This is looking VERY inviting, looks like delivered prices run from as low as $300. Thanks!

I'm confused. Unless you are building servers the need to preclear disks is relatively uncommon. I usually keep at least one port open in my 5 in 3 so I can preclear a disk from time to time. Why would you want a dedicated preclear server? 

I'm confused. Unless you are building servers the need to preclear disks is relatively uncommon. I usually keep at least one port open in my 5 in 3 so I can preclear a disk from time to time. Why would you want a dedicated preclear server? 

I tend to overkill. Sure I can go on the "preclear a drive at a time as I need it route," but again, given the relative $ involved (assuming going for something more elaborate than just an external one-drive dock plugged into an existing unRAID server), there really isn't a big bump to get into another full server of sorts.

Also, as indicated, I likely won't have any bays open left soon. I'd rather plan on that being the case than try to figure out a way around it when it's too late.

Plus this gives the added bonus of having a secondary unRAID server to futz around with (beta versions of unRAID, trying out the available custom apps, etc) without compromising my main server.

Do I NEED it? No. But the plan is in place and budgeted  :)

I didn't even notice your user name when I first responded.  Hope the server is still treating you well :)

Remember that unRAID currently only supports 22 drives, so your server already has 2 spare drive bays that could be used to preclear drives.  If I remember correctly your server doesn't have those bays hooked up internally at the moment, so you'll also need to install a 2 port PCIe x1 card and hook them up.  Or maybe I already did that for you...I can't remember.

Preclear can definitely address drives above unRAID's 22 drive limit.  I don't think there's any limit to how many drives preclear can address, though the limit of simultaneous preclears is 6 when using the system console or telnet.  If you use screen, then I don't think there's any limit.  Of course eventually you'll run out of RAM and crash your system, but I seem to remember people running upwards of 20 preclears at once...

A PCI based eSATA card would work.  But it sounds like you really like that HP server...so I say go for it :)

I tend to overkill. Sure I can go on the "preclear a drive at a time as I need it route," but again, given the relative $ involved (assuming going for something more elaborate than just an external one-drive dock plugged into an existing unRAID server), there really isn't a big bump to get into another full server of sorts.

Also, as indicated, I likely won't have any bays open left soon. I'd rather plan on that being the case than try to figure out a way around it when it's too late.

Plus this gives the added bonus of having a secondary unRAID server to futz around with (beta versions of unRAID, trying out the available custom apps, etc) without compromising my main server.

Do I NEED it? No. But the plan is in place and budgeted  :)

I understand backup array and test array.  It was the "dedicated preclear" part that threw me.

I took a 5x3 and hooked it, along with a SATA controller, to one of my HTPCs. I ran sata cables from the HTPC to the rear of the 5in3, along with a molex, into a power splitter and into the 5in3.  The HTPC was a good choice becuase it has so little in it - just a boot disk.  Not even a video card (built into motherboard).  So they sat side by side, the HTPC and the 5in3, and I didn't feel it was dangerous, as eveything we covered.  I was not doing preclears, but experimenting with a BR10i controller and some 3T drives.  But I could easily have run 5 preclears using the 5in3.  If I had a bulk of disks to preclear, I could see doing something like that and then planning to use the 5in3.

But if you're looking to set up a second server, and want to be able to use it for preclears, go for it!

One word of caution.  Don't use up every slot in your unRAID server for array disks.  Leave one blank (or if you have a cache disk, you can always remove it and have a spare slot).  Sometimes when things go wrong with unRAID you will need the extra slot to do certain types of recovery.  Without the slot, your options will be limited.

One word of caution.  Don't use up every slot in your unRAID server for array disks.  Leave one blank (or if you have a cache disk, you can always remove it and have a spare slot).  Sometimes when things go wrong with unRAID you will need the extra slot to do certain types of recovery.  Without the slot, your options will be limited.

Good to know, thanks!

I didn't even notice your user name when I first responded.  Hope the server is still treating you well :)

Remember that unRAID currently only supports 22 drives, so your server already has 2 spare drive bays that could be used to preclear drives.  If I remember correctly your server doesn't have those bays hooked up internally at the moment, so you'll also need to install a 2 port PCIe x1 card and hook them up.  Or maybe I already did that for you...I can't remember.

Preclear can definitely address drives above unRAID's 22 drive limit.  I don't think there's any limit to how many drives preclear can address, though the limit of simultaneous preclears is 6 when using the system console or telnet.  If you use screen, then I don't think there's any limit.  Of course eventually you'll run out of RAM and crash your system, but I seem to remember people running upwards of 20 preclears at once...

A PCI based eSATA card would work.  But it sounds like you really like that HP server...so I say go for it :)

Server's working great Raj, thanks!

No additional controller was installed for the "hanging" bays, but I did get that reverse-breakout cable so that I can at least use the remaining 2 SATA ports on the mobo.

I think I'll go ahead and get one of these HP Microservers, looks pretty cool and seems like it'll address several "needs."

Thanks to all who contributed!

HI Jeff

it works great

i also use a dock on top of my case to preclear disks that i have hanging on the esata port

it works great

no issues at all

Your post brought up a question: does the disk need to be ejected when done with a preclear?

As far as I know, you can't add a new precleared disk to an array without first rebooting the server.  So the answer is basically no, but you still have to reboot to get unRAID to recognize the drive.

As far as I know, you can't add a new precleared disk to an array without first rebooting the server.  So the answer is basically no, but you still have to reboot to get unRAID to recognize the drive.

The beta version since 5.0b5 forward allow for a "fake" hot swap like ability.  The drive can be inserted, the array stopped, the disk assigned, and the array started.

5.0 final should allow for this "fake" hot swap like ability.

The beta version since 5.0b5 forward allow for a "fake" hot swap like ability.  The drive can be inserted, the array stopped, the disk assigned, and the array started.

5.0 final should allow for this "fake" hot swap like ability.

Warm swap seems like an appropriate term for this.  It isn't true hot swap since you still have to stop the array (so there's downtime), but it isn't cold either since you don't have to shut down the server.

Archived