Case question

Blade

I currently have 2 unraid towers. Both are using a Coolermaster 590 case (which are superb)

I also use the COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage in both cases. I have 3 of them in each case which holds 12 HDDs per case.

I cannot seem to find the 590 case so I am wondering what the best case would be to use with the cages and still get 12 drives per case.

Thx

The enclosure thread at the top of this forum will give you a lot of ideas.

I think the closest replacement for the CM590 is the AZZA Helios 910 (Rajahal uses that case as a replacement in his recommended builds).

NOTE: I do not think Rajahal has actually used one of the AZZA Helios cases in person.  The replacement suggestion was based on looking at the case closely and from posts here in the forums about users that have used it.

I just built a server for a friend of mine using the Azza Helios and 3 cooler master 4in3 cages.  The only modification required is the removal of a couple of plastic pieces (I used a razor blade to do this, really easy).  All three cages slid right in to the case. 

He didn't like the look of the plastic bezel so we removed those from the cages and seated them far enough back so that the 5.25 panels on the Helios could be placed back on the case after the cages were installed.  It's a pretty clean look in my opinion.  He also liked the vibrant blue from the fans, so I didn't bother with cutting the LED wire for the 4in3 cage fans. 

As others have already stated, it's a really solid case. 

I just built a server for a friend of mine using the Azza Helios and 3 cooler master 4in3 cages.  The only modification required is the removal of a couple of plastic pieces (I used a razor blade to do this, really easy).  All three cages slid right in to the case. 

He didn't like the look of the plastic bezel so we removed those from the cages and seated them far enough back so that the 5.25 panels on the Helios could be placed back on the case after the cages were installed.  It's a pretty clean look in my opinion.  He also liked the vibrant blue from the fans, so I didn't bother with cutting the LED wire for the 4in3 cage fans. 

Can you explain a bit more of what you did? I looked at it yesterday and from what I can tell in order to get the Cooler Master 4n3's you would have to cut the sheetmetal lower lip and flatten the hard drive rails. I'll post up some pics hopefully tonight. I spent some time routing cables and things last night so and I didn't spend a a lot of lot of time shooting pics inside the case.

Now that I think of it I can't remember if sides of the stock cages are different than the ones you order from Cooler Master. I know I have both and they are different.

I just did some measuring with my AZZA case. The stock cage measures 5.75" in height opposed to my CoolerMaster Cages that measure 5" in height.

The overall opening of my CoolerMaster 590 and the AZZA both measure 15". So as long as you can make whatever you want fit within 15" you are good to go. Well I'd say its a hair or so over 15", but if it fit in the CoolerMaster 590 it should fit the AZZA case.

• 1 month later...

Yes. The cages for the Helios appear to be a bit larger and I'm pretty sure you Can Not get 3 of them installed to max out the drives. I'm guessing the Cooler Master cages would work out fine.

I have a CoolerMaster 590 and the AZZA sitting in my office if you need any comparisons.

Don't forget about the Thermaltake V5 (or V6 with some minor modification). It is a 9 bay case.  I have a V6 with a 5n3 IcyDock, two 3n2 ID, and a single bay ID, plus a cache drive in the last partially obstructed 5.25" (in the V6, the top bay is partial obstructed by a top mounted external SATA bay, the V5 does not have external SATA).

I'm pretty sure you could fit your three cages in a V5.

Yes. The cages for the Helios appear to be a bit larger and I'm pretty sure you Can Not get 3 of them installed to max out the drives. I'm guessing the Cooler Master cages would work out fine.

I have a CoolerMaster 590 and the AZZA sitting in my office if you need any comparisons.

I plan to use the 4X3 cooler master cages in the Helios 910. If you have both the 590 and Helios I would really appreciate if you could verify that 3 cooler master cages will fit in the helios with no issues.

I know they fit in the 590. I have 4 590 cases here and they work great but I cannot seem to find them anymore so I am hoping the Helios 910 will do the job.

Thx

I'll try and take a look. I know the factory cages that come with the CoolerMaster would have to have the rails flattened, but if my memory serves me correctly the cages you buy seperately don't have the rails and I just removed the Silver/Black face to fit behind my 590 screen.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2814

I'll see what I can do. My Cooler Master 590 is full of cages, but only one of them is available for removal since the other cages have drives in them. I'll try and mock it up to make sure it would potentially fit. I'm thinking I did when I bought the AZZA case for a buddy who hasn't picked it up as of yet, but I don't want to say for 100% sure.

Depending on whats going on tonight I might be able to make that happen tonight.

Feel free to PM to remind me if I fail to. ;)

I am interested in this case and type of cage combo. Doesn't it already come with a 4-in-3 cage w/ a fan, so wouldn't you only need 2 more, or not? And what about the Xigmatek 4-in-3 cage w/ fan, no front bezel to remove. Would they fit behind the stock bezels of the Azza Helios 910 mod-free? And what about the top bezel, in the pic it shows it with the external 3.5", just curious as to how a HDD cage looked tucked in behind it? Just curious, thanks!

Archived