Dell Dimension L500C

jeff.lebowski

I was given one of these a while ago. Zip Drive, floppy, 4.3gb HDD, the whole thing worked when it was pulled from the office.

I finally plugged it in today, thinking I could have a test server for those fancy beta builds. Looks like it's gonna be a no.

500mhz proc

64MB RAM

:o :o :o

Worst of all, there's no option in the boot sequence to choose a USB drive. It does have these options:

* Disabled

* 1st IDE HDD through 4th IDE HDD

* Floppy

* ARMD FDD

* ARMD HDD

* ATAPI CD-ROM

* SCSI

* Network

Oh well. Maybe I'll try some kind of router/firewall application. I could host a site or two with my new business line from Charter.

"Now with 100% legality!" ;D

I was given one of these a while ago. Zip Drive, floppy, 4.3gb HDD, the whole thing worked when it was pulled from the office.

I finally plugged it in today, thinking I could have a test server for those fancy beta builds. Looks like it's gonna be a no.

500mhz proc

64MB RAM

:o :o :o

Worst of all, there's no option in the boot sequence to choose a USB drive. It does have these options:

* Disabled

* 1st IDE HDD through 4th IDE HDD

* Floppy

* ARMD FDD

* ARMD HDD

* ATAPI CD-ROM

* SCSI

* Network

Oh well. Maybe I'll try some kind of router/firewall application. I could host a site or two with my new business line from Charter.

"Now with 100% legality!" ;D

Some BIOS have a setting where the USB flash drive will emulate a hard disk, and it will then show up in the list of hard disks.

Other than that, some have used a boot floppy (search for kicker disk) and others (myself included) use a compact flash drive in a Cf to IDE disk adapter board to boot from.

Joe L.

^^ +1.

For the longest time I thought my board didn't support booting from USB drive after fiddling with it for hours. So, I burned CD's every time I wanted boot media. Then I read about it emulating a HD, so I looked in the HD section with the USB drive plugged in. Sure enough, it was sitting there.

Archived