Is it possible to wake on WAN?

i haven't used tomato in years but I use ddwrt

what i did was setup a no-ip.org account and then set that up in ddwrt and enabled myself to be able to access my router from anywhere on the internet using my no-ip.org address.  I setup links on my phone that point to no-ip.org/wol.asp and have my password info setup and saved and i just wake my system up that way

i'm sure these options are in tomato especially if you were already able to setup your wolan

WOL uses MAC address, which does not pass through a router.

You can use Tomato, but you have to log into the management interface from the WAN, and then tell it to send a WOL to the machine on your local LAN.

Great! But how would I do that?

You have to enable access to Tomato's admin interface to the Internet (WAN).

How do I do that with Tomato? Any way to do it without VPN? As it doesn't seem like Tomato supports VPN and I don't want to install another firmware and lose all my settings.

Set "Remote Access" on the Administration page in Tomato to HTTP or HTTPS.... then you can get to it from the outside.

It's a huge security risk, however.  Better have a good password, or you'll be hacked in 24 hours or less.

That doesn't sound good at all. Is there a safer way? All I'm looking to do is wake up the server, don't necessarily need access to the router.

Instead of opening up my router to the world, I remote into one of my desktops on my LAN, then run a script that wakes stuff up.

That would only work if you have a computer that's online, though. I want to be able to wake my server when no computer on the network is on, if possible. That leaves the router as that's the only device on the network that's always on.

I have my server setup to wake on WAN.  I also have DD-WRT.  I tried initially to have port 9 forwarded to my server's IP, but for some reason that wasn't working.  I now have port 9 forwarded to the broadcast IP and it works beautifully.

Can you talk about how you did it and perhaps some instructions? Did you use VPN? How difficult was it? Thanks.

I will on Monday, out of town at the moment and I can't access my router for security reasons.

Really, I think I just told it to forward all incoming traffic on port 9 to 192.168.1.254 (I think, whatever your broadcast IP is) and then just use my WOL client like normal with my DynDNS address as the IP.  It works both from my iPhone WOL app and also from web page based WOL apps.

I will on Monday, out of town at the moment and I can't access my router for security reasons.

Really, I think I just told it to forward all incoming traffic on port 9 to 192.168.1.254 (I think, whatever your broadcast IP is) and then just use my WOL client like normal with my DynDNS address as the IP.  It works both from my iPhone WOL app and also from web page based WOL apps.

Thanks!

Port 9 is only used for WOL right? So it shouldn't create any additional security problems for the rest of the network?

Thanks!

Port 9 is only used for WOL right? So it shouldn't create any additional security problems for the rest of the network?

It's actually a "discard" port (according to the internet), and used for test purposes.  Follow this chart, from SpeedGuide.net (someone chime in if inaccurate)

Well Known Ports: 0 through 1023.

Registered Ports: 1024 through 49151.

Dynamic/Private : 49152 through 65535.

If you are in Calif, and you use a WOL client that sends the broadcast payload, it won't get to port 9 on your router in Florida in the first place .... w/o some VPN or VLAN setup.

You send a unicast UDP packet with the correct content to port 9 of your public address and have the router map it to the correct destination address or LAN broadcast.

EDIT: Here is a web form that sends a unicast WOL: http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx

That site has smartphone apps and regular applications that do this as well.

How difficult/expensive is it to set up a VPN at home?

Google "DDWRT" It's free. I'd recommend this method because it gives you secure access to your content as well.

Archived