Supermicro UIO cards in a standard chassis/mobo?

PeterB

There seem to be a number of people using Supermicro HBA cards which have a UIO format.  I'm sure that not everyone is using a Supermicro chassis.

I like the UIO format because, in a standard tower configuration, it puts the heat-generating components on the upper side of the pcb.  However, I wonder how people have coped with installing such a card in a standard chassis.

I can see three options:

1) Discard the backplate and ignore the fact that there is no support or positive location for the card.  That might be okay until the card vibrates its way loose.

2) Replace the backplate with a standard backplate ... but there are two problems here - where can the backplate be obtained and will the screw holes be in the right place.

3) Take the original backplate off, move it to the other side of the pcb and use spacers over the screws, to reattach it.  The problems here are that longer screws will be required, and the pcb will need protection from the protruding tapped mounting holes on the bracket.

So, what have you all done in order to accommodate the Supermicro cards?

UIO = Universal I/O, which appears to be peculiar to Supermicro and defines the physical layout of expansion cards.  As far as I understand, it uses the standard PCIe interface but places the components and the backplate on the 'wrong' side of the card - effectively a mirror image of a normal PCIe card..  This means that when the card is mounted in a standard mobo socket, the backplate does not line up with the aperture in a standard case.

I recently got a 8 port SuperMicro card that came with a low profile adapter attached. It also came with a standard height one. Sure enough, replaced the backplate keeping it on the same side, and it doesn't line up with the PCI-E slot when it try and put it in.

I did option #3 as well, except, just moved the backplate to the other side of the PCB, and screwed it in with the same screws. No spacers, or longer/shorter screws needed. I did think it was weird they shipped it with the backplate mounted on the wrong side.  ::)  Fit perfectly then...

Shawn

I recently got a 8 port SuperMicro card that came with a low profile adapter attached. It also came with a standard height one. Sure enough, replaced the backplate keeping it on the same side, and it doesn't line up with the PCI-E slot when it try and put it in.

I did option #3 as well, except, just moved the backplate to the other side of the PCB, and screwed it in with the same screws. No spacers, or longer/shorter screws needed. I did think it was weird they shipped it with the backplate mounted on the wrong side.  ::)

Hehe!

As I said in my original post, I like this arrangement.  I was concerned that, in a standard tower configuration, normal PCIe (indeed, all variants of PCI and AGP) cards put the (heat generating) components and heatsinks on the lower side of the card - a significant disadvantage for any convection cooling.  The Supermicro arrangement will place the components and heatsink on the upper surface.

Fit perfectly then...

That's good to know - I have recently found documentation which convinces me that the PCIe x16 'Graphics card' slot on my mobo does support any type of card, so I can go ahead and purchase with confidence ... if I can obtain the card here.

That's good to know - I have recently found documentation which convinces me that the PCIe x16 'Graphics card' slot on my mobo does support any type of card, so I can go ahead and purchase with confidence ... if I can obtain the card here.

I recommend checking Superbiiz for the cheapest prices on SASLP cards.  Also always google 'superbiiz promo' to see if there are any active promo codes before you buy (currently you can get 10% off with BLOSSOM10).  They are out of stock right now (I bought 3 yesterday, guess I cleaned them out ;)), but they should have more soon.

I recommend checking Superbiiz for the cheapest prices on SASLP cards.

Thanks for pointing me there.  However, a couple of problems - I can't find the AOC-USAS2 cards listed and, while they do appear to ship internationally, I can't find a suitable payment option (they don't accept international card payments).

I recommend checking Superbiiz for the cheapest prices on SASLP cards.

Thanks for pointing me there.  However, a couple of problems - I can't find the AOC-USAS2 cards listed and, while they do appear to ship internationally, I can't find a suitable payment option (they don't accept international card payments).

Sorry, I forgot you aren't in the US.  Why do you want the AOC-USA2 instead of the more standard SASLP card?  Are you sure that card even works with unRAID?

Sorry, I forgot you aren't in the US.

Okay, no problem ... I'm not sure that there are (m)any other unRAID users in Philippines!

Why do you want the AOC-USA2 instead of the more standard SASLP card?

The USAS2 uses the new LSI2008 controller chip - supporting SATA3 6Mb/s and PCIe2.0, providing double the bandwidth of the earlier cards.  And, in case you hadn't already gathered, I like the idea of having the components/heatsink on the upper surface of the card!  (Sorry, that's not meant to be an aggressive comment, but I'm not sure which smiley to add!)

Are you sure that card even works with unRAID?

As I understand it, support for the LSI2008 chip has been added to recent betas, with the inclusion of the Fusion-MPT mpt2sas driver.  If necessary, I'm willing to work with Tom to iron out any wrinkles.

I'm hoping to visit the local Supermicro distributor later today, so I'll find out more about price/availability here.

Ah, that card is not UIO, but a 'standard' PCIe so, yes, the components will still be on the underside in a tower configuration.  I'm surprised that you should have had to move the backplate.

Well that explains why I was wondering about your components on the PCB. :)  But as I mentioned, the backplate on mine did come mounted on the wrong side, for some reason, and I had to move it. Just one of those little things I guess...

Thanks for that info.  I'll have to decide whether to purchase from abroad, or locally.

I've just received my quotation for the L8i from the local reseller: PHP9,550 (at current exchange rate, that's USD225), with an ETA of 2-3 days (that means the item is in stock in Manila).

Still, that's better than the quote for an Adaptec 1220SA: PHP5,950 (= USD140 ... price is ~$53 at US websites) and a lead time of 30-45 days (which means there is no stock in Philippines).

So, the Supermicro would cost me less than double the price in the States, but the 2 port Adaptec would cost me more than the 8 port Supermicro over there.

And we will love to know the results of your testing. After all if this card works it will support the 3TB drives while the 1068E may not (it just make sense from a business point to force your existing customers to buy another controller  ;) )

Just so ... I don't like to limit my options by buying superseded/obsolescent products.

I'm guessing that to order the L8i from the States will cost me around $20-25 delivery, plus an unknown import duty (some items attract a 100% import duty here - that could end up as $320!) and it would take 2-3 weeks.  I think that it would be a lot less hassle to buy locally.

I just want to add that I've been in correspondence with Supermicro tech support.

There are two similar cards - the AOC-USAS2-L8i and AOC-USAS2-L8e.  Now, the L8i is described as a RAID controller and the L8e as a simple JBOD controller.  However, the User's Manual indicates that either card can be flashed with either firmware RAID - IR, and non-RAID - IT.  Tech support tells me that this is not so - that the L8e is a much less expensive controller and does not support the RAID firmware.  When I asked why the L8e retails at a higher price than the L8i, the response was that the L8e is newer, and ships in lower volumes.  Well, I will be ordering the L8i, and ensuring that it is flashed for JBOD mode!

The tech support rep also enquired what mobo I would be using because this card is UIO, not PCIe.  My response was that this might be the official company stance, but that there are a sufficient number of reports on the net that (re)moving the backplate is all that is required to use the card in a standard PCIe slot.

I've also read that there are problems with retrieving SMART data with the LSI 2008 controller chip/driver, caused by byte (mis)alignment.  Apparently this issue is resolved with the 2.6.37 Linux kernel