Author Topic: The Power Supply Thread  (Read 99283 times)

Offline AxelFusco

Re: The Power Supply Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2016, 07:46:55 AM »
Hi...as per my knowledge Modular PSUs allow you to use only the cables you need, and remove the rest.  This reduces cable clutter and can benefit airflow through the case.  Some companies that sell modular PSUs will also sell or give you extra cables of certain types.  This can be especially beneficial in the case of unRAID servers, as servers generally need a lot of one type of power connection.  These extra cables can reduce or negate your need for power splitters.

pcb assembly manufacturer
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:33:52 PM by AxelFusco »

Offline jonathanm

« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2016, 08:41:16 AM »
These extra cables can reduce or negate your need for power splitters.
But modular cables introduce another slip fit mechanical connection at the point they plug in to the PSU, effectively negating the advantage of not using splitters. Permanent solder joints are a much better idea reliability wise.

Offline Squid

• Community Developer
  • Don Juan Prawn
« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »
But modular cables introduce another slip fit mechanical connection at the point they plug in to the PSU, effectively negating the advantage of not using splitters. Permanent solder joints are a much better idea reliability wise.
Agree on the permanent solder joints, but I have yet to see a modular cable connector that didn't make a better connection than a molex splitter.

Offline jonathanm

« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
Agree on the permanent solder joints, but I have yet to see a modular cable connector that didn't make a better connection than a molex splitter.
Stop using poorly made molex splitters?  ;D

Seriously, there sometimes is a huge quality difference between branded and generic stuff when it comes to connectors. Different alloys, tighter tolerances, better coatings, all the qualities that matter when you have a slip fit spring connection. Visually it may not be much different, but it sure makes a difference after they've been in service a few years.

Offline sonofdbn

« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »
I'm finally close to upgrading my unRAID setup to a Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F with 32GB ECC RAM. The board is limited to 6 SATA slots, so I'm planning on getting a Perc H310 controller, and in total using 7 hard disks and 1 or 2 SSDs. No GPU (no spare slot anyway, after the Perc).

I'm guessing a 450W PSU would be enough? Unfortunately I'm not in the USA and I can't get many 450W PSUs that are Gold rated. I'm looking at a Seasonic G-450 (5 year warranty) or Corsair RM650i (10 year warranty). Although 650W is probably much more than I need, unfortunately the only bad PSU I've had to replace was the most expensive one I've bought so far, a Seasonic X-Series, so I'm tempted to look at another brand. Yes, I'm probably just unfortunate, but still...

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Offline sonofdbn

« Reply #320 on: November 26, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
In the end I went with a Corsair RM650X. One thing that I hadn't thought about was the number of SATA connectors that provided on the cables. There are 3 cables x 3 connectors, so I'm just OK for 5 data disks, 2 parity and in future 2 SSDs for cache/VM.

But because of cable routing, it would have been nice to have another cable for more flexibility. I could do something with splitters or molex-to-SATA connectors, but the tidier solution would have been another SATA power cable. I was tempted to grab one of many (unlabelled) old cables from old PSUs that all seem pretty similar, but fortunately I read the thread here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=53341.0.

Looking back, I realise now that smaller PSUs may well be more efficient (in terms of power provided to power needed), but they often come with fewer SATA connectors. How do other users connect their drives to the PSUs once they exceed the connectors provided with the PSU cables? I've read reports of poor quality splitters - are there any recommended brands?

Offline Fireball3

• >> Engage <<
« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2016, 12:18:23 AM »
the tidier solution
...is definitely the use of this kind of cables.
CABLE-COLDPLUG-SAS-34036285-T26139-Y4023-V501

Unfortunately it's hard to find them, especially for a reasonable price.

There is also a similar build from DELL.
sas-sata-cable-assembly-233td-0233td

No issue with splitters.
Nice and tight fit of both, the SATA and the power cable, on the drive.
Only the price is an issue. Got some of the DELL cables from the china guy through ebay but you have to
take care, by default he charges for express shipping (per cable)!

Next thing you can do to avoid splitters is adding some SATA connectors on that cables.
I did this because I found the gap between two connectors was too big and there was too much
cabling mess. So I removed the connectors from some spare cables I had (looked pretty much like those on
above site) and crimped them between two existing connectors.

Athlon X2 240e @ ASUS M4A87TD EVO & 2x DELL Perc H310 LSI IT(P19)
C2D E8500 @ X7SBA & 1x DELL Perc H310 LSI IT(P19)
|First run | Preclear | S3 | Powerdown | Hardware | Troubleshooting | Useful sig | BASH | Console | My Posts |

Offline Yaka

« Reply #322 on: January 12, 2017, 01:51:42 AM »
I know this is a long shot Anyone have any suggestions on a quietish 1u psu?
My case currently has Emacs 460w psu which came with, and on it own sounds like a jet taking off
And a ton of cables i have no need for.

I need it to power the folowing

Asrock avoton itx board
Perc 310 card
12x 3.5 hdds
2x ssds
And about 10 fans for cooling

Offline garycase

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2017, 04:31:08 AM »
I know this is a long shot Anyone have any suggestions on a quietish 1u psu?
My case currently has Emacs 460w psu which came with, and on it own sounds like a jet taking off
And a ton of cables i have no need for.

I need it to power the folowing

Asrock avoton itx board
Perc 310 card
12x 3.5 hdds
2x ssds
And about 10 fans for cooling

Any 1U supply is going to have relatively noisy fans due to their small size (and thus high RPM needed to move a good volume of air).    The following unit has a thermally controlled set of dual fans, so will most likely be fairly quiet most of the time, since your system will typically use a very low % of the power supply's capacity.    Unfortunately the manufacturer doesn't provide any noise level specifications, so it's impossible to know the actual level without simply trying it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA00Y42U9499