Some drives never spin down

unRAID Server Pro

version: 5.0-beta6a

I have a feeling this may have been addressed, but I can't find it via searching - possibly using wrong terms.

I have 8 physical disks, 7 data and 1 parity. The first five (parity and disks 1-4) spin down after every hour of inactivity

Apr  8 11:18:36 Tower kernel: mdcmd (134): spindown 0 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:36 Tower kernel: mdcmd (135): spindown 1 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:37 Tower kernel: mdcmd (136): spindown 2 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:37 Tower kernel: mdcmd (137): spindown 3 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:38 Tower kernel: mdcmd (138): spindown 4 (Routine)

The last three data drives never spin down. There's no mention in the log like an error is happening. In fact, the lines above are the exact last five lines of my log right now.

I don't know if it's specific to v5b, BUT - all that drives that spin down were present in a 4.6 build. I momentarily upgraded to 4.7 as outlined in the wiki before trying 5.0b6. I added the last three drives under 5.0b6, and as far as I know they've never spun down.

Hardware-wise, I'm running a board with two controllers on the board with 8 ports in a 6-2 split. I'm not sure without looking which drives are on which controller, but since it's more than two drives, I think I rule out hardware.

Am I overlooking something (entirely possible)?

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

unRAID Server Pro

version: 5.0-beta6a

I have a feeling this may have been addressed, but I can't find it via searching - possibly using wrong terms.

I have 8 physical disks, 7 data and 1 parity. The first five (parity and disks 1-4) spin down after every hour of inactivity

Apr  8 11:18:36 Tower kernel: mdcmd (134): spindown 0 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:36 Tower kernel: mdcmd (135): spindown 1 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:37 Tower kernel: mdcmd (136): spindown 2 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:37 Tower kernel: mdcmd (137): spindown 3 (Routine)

Apr  8 11:18:38 Tower kernel: mdcmd (138): spindown 4 (Routine)

The last three data drives never spin down. There's no mention in the log like an error is happening. In fact, the lines above are the exact last five lines of my log right now.

I don't know if it's specific to v5b, BUT - all that drives that spin down were present in a 4.6 build. I momentarily upgraded to 4.7 as outlined in the wiki before trying 5.0b6. I added the last three drives under 5.0b6, and as far as I know they've never spun down.

Hardware-wise, I'm running a board with two controllers on the board with 8 ports in a 6-2 split. I'm not sure without looking which drives are on which controller, but since it's more than two drives, I think I rule out hardware.

Am I overlooking something (entirely possible)?

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

We've heard from others of a bug in the beta version in that function.  You might be experiencing the same.

You'll have to do a search to find the others as I think they've just used a work-around to have the disk spin itself down.

Joe L.

After upgrade from 4.7 I had one 80GB drive that would not spin down. Other ones all did. I went into Disk Settings, change the default from 1 hour to 30 minutes, click Apply and it worked. Changed it back to and hour, clicked Apply and it worked. Not sure if this will help, but something to try. Looks like some of the default settings did not get applied or just were note taking affect on that 80GB until I went in and changed it.

Shawn

After upgrade from 4.7 I had one 80GB drive that would not spin down. Other ones all did. I went into Disk Settings, change the default from 1 hour to 30 minutes, click Apply and it worked. Changed it back to and hour, clicked Apply and it worked. Not sure if this will help, but something to try. Looks like some of the default settings did not get applied or just were note taking affect on that 80GB until I went in and changed it.

Shawn

Thanks for the tip - that's a great idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I tried 30 and 15 - even with clean restarts.

Joe L. mentioned some workarounds, but I'm not finding them - even just entering "spin" into search and drilling down manually.

• 1 month later...

I am also having a similar issue. 7 drives in my array and only drive 2 spins down.

If i manually spin them down, they all go to sleep and stay asleep until i use a network share. then to correct drives wake up. i have not looked at my syslog yet. but i did see the  sleep line go past in unmenu to spindown drive 2.

I tried the  "work around" also, no luck yet.

I should mention i am on 5.0 b A

I only have shares and data on drive1

EDIT:

Ok, after trying a few things, I got it working, i think. let me know if this helps.

My fix was go to http:\\tower\main

open the settings for each individual drive,

change the drive from default, to whatever i wanted.

I tried some at 15 and 30 min for testing and left some at default (15min).

the ones i overrode spun down when expected. the "use default" ones never spun down.

i woke them up remotely by copying files, they then went back to sleep again when expected.