When do you think unraid will support 3TB drives?

Blu

I've been wondering when unraid will start supporting the 3tb drives. I've got about ten 2TB drives ready for my build but sorta wanted to wait till the 3TB's sorta dropped a little more in price and were usable with unraid :) And so I could get the most out of my space. I see a new beta just released as well but I never read anything about 3TB support, allbeit I just skimmed through it as well. Thanks!

I have heard of nothing about > 2TB support from limetech other than what is in the roadmap.  I'd not expect it within 6 to 12 months, but you never know.

You can artificially make the 3TB or larger drives appear to unRAID as 2.2 TB drives (by creating a host-protected-area on them to make them appear smaller to the OS) and use them if the disk controller can recognize their full size, but the remaining 800Gig will not be usable until after unRAID supports it.  At least one unRAID user is doing that and is happy to incrementally upgrade and use the remaining space at a point in time in the future.

This simply must be one of the next things worked on. However, who knows how long that will take. Limetech will be getting enough requests for 3T drive support and they will have to prioritize it, similar to how 4.7 had to be released for advanced format drives. Right now, the requests and messages are just starting to pick-up around here and I would expect the pricing to keep dropping and the requests to really pick-up within the next few months. So, it's something that will need to be done very soon to avoid losing quite a few potential customers.

Peter

I felt the same way. But now I see 3TB drive coming fast. I'd like a stable version with 3TB support. A stable 5.0 seems a long way off. We need a stable system with 3TB support much sooner than roadmap for 5.x indicates. I'm not going to deploy beta software on a clients machine.

I'd like a stable version with 3TB support. A stable 5.0 seems a long way off. We need a stable system with 3TB support much sooner than roadmap for 5.x indicates. I'm not going to deploy beta software on a clients machine.

After running it for a month and a half, 5.0beta6 seems pretty stable for me.

With all the changes needed to support >2.2TB drives (many of which have already been included in the latest 5.0 betas), how long do you think it would be before a 4.8 with >2.2TB support could be considered to be stable?

Archived