Re: defected's n00bie unRAID build (Termaltake V6 Budget Box - 5 Drives To Start)

I'll keep my n00bie questions in this thread so not to clutter the forums with potentially redundant questions.

Worked on the server a bit more today, and it's a little bit daunting, as I haven't much experience with Linux servers.  Even trying to simply mount some ext2/3 drives has proven to be a PITA as one of my drives is a) loading under dev/ as hda? It's a WD10EADS, SATA drive...why is unRAID labeling it as a IDE device? and b) Seems to have difficulty mounting as I'm provided with messages described in this blog post: http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/fixing-partition-error-couldnt-mount.html

Also, I created a password for root via the 'passwd' command.  Do I need to copy my passwd file to my thumb drive and add a line to the go script to copy it back to /etc for each boot? Same with anything I add to my ~ drive? I'm assuming the answer is yes as these files/directories change :D but wondering what the best method was. 

Also, it doesn't appear my server goes to sleep.  I've done some digging on here, and have Enabled WOL and USB S3 in BIOS--do I need to add a script to cron, or the go script to check when drives have spun down, and put the server to sleep after a certain amount of time?

I installed 'vim' but when I try to run it, it tells me

vim: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by vim)

Any suggestions?

Phew, I think that's enough for now.  I'll get back around to RTFM and other documentation/configuration later this week and weekend.

Thanks again!

I'll keep my n00bie questions in this thread so not to clutter the forums with potentially redundant questions.

Worked on the server a bit more today, and it's a little bit daunting, as I haven't much experience with Linux servers.  Even trying to simply mount some ext2/3 drives has proven to be a PITA as one of my drives is a) loading under dev/ as hda? It's a WD10EADS, SATA drive...why is unRAID labeling it as a IDE device? and b) Seems to have difficulty mounting as I'm provided with messages described in this blog post: http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/fixing-partition-error-couldnt-mount.html

If it is an ext3 drive it would have had to be cleanly unmounted from the other Linux machine before unRAID can mount it.  A assume you are using 4.7 which only has the ext2 driver.  The ext3 drive can be mounted with the ext2 driver but only in a read-only mode and only if the previous unmount of the drive was done cleanly.

Also, I created a password for root via the 'passwd' command.  Do I need to copy my passwd file to my thumb drive and add a line to the go script to copy it back to /etc for each boot? Same with anything I add to my ~ drive? I'm assuming the answer is yes as these files/directories change :D but wondering what the best method was. 

Do not do it that way, use the web interface to create the passwords and the like.  It will do all the copying around for you.

Also, it doesn't appear my server goes to sleep.  I've done some digging on here, and have Enabled WOL and USB S3 in BIOS--do I need to add a script to cron, or the go script to check when drives have spun down, and put the server to sleep after a certain amount of time?

S3 is not supported out of the box, and getting it working can be a pain in the arse (I did not even bother trying on my server).  There is a thread in the Customization forum, and there is probably something in the unRAID Wiki, perhaps the How-To's section...

I installed 'vim' but when I try to run it, it tells me

vim: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by vim)

Any suggestions?

The package (assuming you used unMenu to install vim) must not include the library with it.  You would have to find a new package and changing the url in the package manager .conf file you probably are not going to fix that.

If it is an ext3 drive it would have had to be cleanly unmounted from the other Linux machine before unRAID can mount it.  A assume you are using 4.7 which only has the ext2 driver.  The ext3 drive can be mounted with the ext2 driver but only in a read-only mode and only if the previous unmount of the drive was done cleanly.

I believe it was in my Popcorn Hours, so I believe I just shut down--so maybe it's not unmounting the internal drive cleanly prior to shut down? I guess I can put it back in and either transfer off that (rather not, very slow interface) or have to unmount it prior to shutdown.

The package (assuming you used unMenu to install vim) must not include the library with it.  You would have to find a new package and changing the url in the package manager .conf file you probably are not going to fix that.

Yes, I did install it through unMenu.  So should I post this in another forum that the vim package isn't working?

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Chris

I believe it was in my Popcorn Hours, so I believe I just shut down--so maybe it's not unmounting the internal drive cleanly prior to shut down? I guess I can put it back in and either transfer off that (rather not, very slow interface) or have to unmount it prior to shutdown.

I transferred all material from my PopcornHour to my newly-built unRAID server over the network.  First of all, I felt that this was the safest way - least risk to the data I had in the PCH drive.  Secondly, it provided a substantial test of unRAID, copying 1TB of data onto the server.

After that, I took the drive out of the PCH and left it untouched for a while while I gained confidence that the transfer had gone well, by watching several films.  Finally, I reformatted the drive on unRAID, and added it to my array.

Is there anyway to verify the copies without watching the films? I threw an old drive in the server that was ext2 and moved files to one of my new reiser-formatted drive. Maybe do a checksum of each file? Though that would take a while to generate each checksum and compare.

Archived