[SOLVED] Configure second NIC

hi,

i'm new to unRaid and this forum. Since a few days i use unRaid (Version 4.7) and it works really great (espacially the air-video software and user shares). I like it very much. The only problem i have: i want to use two NIC's.

One network card should serve 10.10.0.* and the other card should serve 192.168.80.*. This is because i have two seperate networks at home but all clients should save data on the unRaid server.

I don't even know where to start, because "ifconfig -a" shows only one network interface. I've read in the forum that unRaid only works with one card and i have to manually configure the second one - but don't know how...

Any help would be really great!

thanks

avajon

With "ifconfig eth1 192.168.80.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" it works. My problem was that i needed a new network card which is supported by unRaid. So, it works fine. I can connect me from every client in my two networks to the tower :) thank you to everyone!

You should be able to load a nic module with /sbin/modprobe or insmod

I'm way out of date so can't give specifics for current stuff, let alone unraid.

modprobe -lt net should show you the list of net modules unraid knows about, then you can try loading it and aliasing to eth1 or whatever so you can configure it.

Then it all has to be saved in your go script or elsewhere to survive reboots.

It would be nice to see a real recipe added to the FAQ. It'll be of use to me, too, in the near future.

dunno if it is possible to  configure the second nic...

you could look in your logs if the second nic is recognized in the boot sequence (i have seen logs where eth1 is recognized and a driver is selected)

if there is a eth1 then ifconfig could save you bacon

ifconfig eth1 192.168.X.X netmask 255.255.255.0

but i am not sure how unraid will work with a second nic

what you want to do is perfectly doable though with one nic

just alias eth0

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0

you should be able to add that to the go file to survive a reboot

You should be able to load a nic module with /sbin/modprobe or insmod

I'm way out of date so can't give specifics for current stuff, let alone unraid.

modprobe -lt net should show you the list of net modules unraid knows about, then you can try loading it and aliasing to eth1 or whatever so you can configure it.

Then it all has to be saved in your go script or elsewhere to survive reboots.

It would be nice to see a real recipe added to the FAQ. It'll be of use to me, too, in the near future.

i will try modprobe -lt net and load all with insmod. But how do i "aliasing" it to eth1?

dunno if it is possible to  configure the second nic...

you could look in your logs if the second nic is recognized in the boot sequence (i have seen logs where eth1 is recognized and a driver is selected)

if there is a eth1 then ifconfig could save you bacon

but i am not sure how unraid will work with a second nic

what you want to do is perfectly doable though with one nic

just alias eth0

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0

you should be able to add that to the go file to survive a reboot

the problem is, there is no log entry for the second network card. The strange thing about it: it finds the external network card and if i remove the external unRaid finds the internal card. So they work both - but not at the same time. Maybe unRaid stops to load another network card if it finds one.

I don't really understand what you mean with your ifconfig command. My Problem is i have two routers, so i will need two differnt network cards, or am i wrong?

I too am interested in this.  I thought using two nic cards for teaming could make the shares faster - especially if multiple computers were streaming data at the same time.  I also like the possibility to separate networks and shares via which nic card was in use. 

I can see applications either way.  I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone has any solutions.

I don't believe that teaming is possible.  What the OP is trying to do is broadcast his unRAID server onto two different networks.

That is correct, NIC teaming is not available in unRAID.  If I remember/understand correctly it has to do with the fact that the driver/config needed for teaming is not turned on for the kernel unRAID uses.

Broadcasting to different networks should be possible, though you just have to set it up yourself.

This sounds right:

Add a line like this to your go file to survive reboots.

Close but if the interface is currently down ifconfig will leave it down.

ifconfig eth1 x.x.x.x netmask y.y.y.y up

will set the parameters and bring up the interface.  This will only work if the driver module has been loaded in the kernel.  If both nics use the same driver module this won't be an issue, but unRaid may not load the kernel module for the 2nd nic and if that happens you would have to use modprobe to insert the module first.  Regardless, putting the commands in the go file should work and give you a fully multi-homed system that survives reboots.

i have to say thanks for all the good posts! My great fault was, the driver of my second network card wasn't loaded. I think it isn't compatible with unRaid. So i will buy this weekend a new card and give it a try! I will post my results and if it works i could even add it into wiki.

• 6 months later...

i have to say thanks for all the good posts! My great fault was, the driver of my second network card wasn't loaded. I think it isn't compatible with unRaid. So i will buy this weekend a new card and give it a try! I will post my results and if it works i could even add it into wiki.

How did you get on with the second NIC card?

I don't believe that teaming is possible.  What the OP is trying to do is broadcast his unRAID server onto two different networks.

That is correct, NIC teaming is not available in unRAID.  If I remember/understand correctly it has to do with the fact that the driver/config needed for teaming is not turned on for the kernel unRAID uses.

Broadcasting to different networks should be possible, though you just have to set it up yourself.

completely untested by anyone who has posted so far, but I think the kernel feature for this is enabled in the latest 5.0beta13.