Wuala on unRAID (like Dropbox)

Stucco

Thanks for those instructions! my unRAID server is now earning me storage! Considering that it's on all the time I should be seeing great storage increases in no time!

Thanks again.

This looks fairly straight forward to get running though it does require Java to be running.

Installing this via an unMenu package should also be possible... Will have to add it to the list of things to look at when I get some time.  If anyone beats me to it then spectacular.

Seeing as I'm not a command-line person, can anyone help me? I installed Wuala, works fine, is sharing away. However I can't find the "wuala" folder where it installed to on the flash drive (which I asssume is /boot). The problem is I set Wuala to share 100Gigs, but the flash drive is only 4 Gigs. It would be great if someone could tell me how to uninstall wuala and re-install it on one of my actual disks in the array? I'd really appreciate any help!

Got wuala working on my unraid server but my server is also running on a full linux distro. Wuala works ok in a non-gui environment. The main annoyance is that there is no way to tell it to save your username and password to auto connect. You have to include the login information on the command line or in the script that launches Wuala. Not too big a deal for me, if someone was able to access that machine then I have bigger problems to worry about.

I do not see any reason to use your unraid space as the trading space. It will probably keep the drive spinning or at least constantly spin it back up again. I am using extra space from my OS drive. Are there any other reasons to run this thing on an unRAID machine besides having a constantly on machine to build up your trade space and rep?

Also, the WualaDrive mount (your online Wuala space) is only accessible to the user who runs the service. If it is a normal user, not even root can access it. There might be ways around it but I haven't looked into it. Seems like a good thing anyway. Wuala uses fuse which is good because unraid also uses it so one less requirement to install. Main thing it requires to run is java.

Seeing as I'm not a command-line person, can anyone help me? I installed Wuala, works fine, is sharing away. However I can't find the "wuala" folder where it installed to on the flash drive (which I asssume is /boot). The problem is I set Wuala to share 100Gigs, but the flash drive is only 4 Gigs. It would be great if someone could tell me how to uninstall wuala and re-install it on one of my actual disks in the array? I'd really appreciate any help!

Once wuala is running you can change the location it uses to store the data by the command "wuala setDataPath". If you just type that it will tell you how to use it. Basicaly just type that and the actual directory you want to have it set to after. Also, "wuala setTempPath" works the same way. If you are running unraid off a flash drive you will want to change the locations to the array with more space. type "wuala help" for a list of all commands it supports.

If you leave the data location on your 4GB drive it will probably fill up. Wuala doesn't set aside the space you allow it, but will slowly fill it up.

This sounds very promising. Several benefits over Dropbox.

My question to you guys using it is if there are any legal implications to having other people's data on your server, ie using the "trade space" component. I remember something similar several years ago which set up a cloud type situation for sharing files, but it always worried me about what others may be "keeping" on my server. Just wonder what everyone's take on this is.

Ok, thank you for that hint about setting the data path. Now one last question: From reading in other wuala/linux forums it seems that enabling Autologin via the cmdline as I did does not actually work. So what would I have to add to the GO script of unRAID to automatically have wuala start up?

something like this maybe?

cd /wuala/wualacmd

./wuala login username password

I am guessing in that case the go script would send off the pasword and login command before Wuala has finished starting up.

I just edited the wualacmd script and added the things I needed. Here is an example of what is in my wualacmd script:

./wuala -nogui login xamindar password startTrading setPort 7103 "$@"

Other settings such as the amount of space you have set to trade and the inbound and outbound speed limits seem to be saved once you have set them.

Something I have noticed which puzzles me: Say I log into my server, start wuala, log in, start sharing, everything works great, my Average online time increases, etc. Now if I close the telnet session by closing the window, and log back in a few hours later, wuala has quit and I have to re-log in, my stats are back to 11% which is the default starting time. It seems that Wuala cannot continue running without having a telnet session open? That would mean that I can't really use my server to gain online storage as I'd also have to have my pc running. Any solutions or ideas?

EDIT: Solved it myself, used SCREEN. That keeps it running.

Something I have noticed which puzzles me: Say I log into my server, start wuala, log in, start sharing, everything works great, my Average online time increases, etc. Now if I close the telnet session by closing the window, and log back in a few hours later, wuala has quit and I have to re-log in, my stats are back to 11% which is the default starting time. It seems that Wuala cannot continue running without having a telnet session open? That would mean that I can't really use my server to gain online storage as I'd also have to have my pc running. Any solutions or ideas?

EDIT: Solved it myself, used SCREEN. That keeps it running.

I have not looked into this as of yet but as you found out screen would work.  Also, starting it with "nohup" at the beginning and a "&" at the end should allow it to run not attached to the console.

Something strange is going on with Wuala. Maybe I just can't see an obvious solution  ???

So, I installed Wuala to disk6. I had it earn storage, detached via screen, worked perfectly. Got it up to 33%, had earned me about 2 Gigs. Then I restarted the router, after logging out of wuala. Now I logged back in, just 5 minutes later, and everything is back to 11% online time (which is what you always start out from) and "earned storage:1.1GB" which is also default. How come Wuala won't save anything? I also had 14 MB of data stored locally from sharing, this is also gone?

how do I determine this?

in windows if I click on the folder where I set wuala to install to and to save everything it, it does say "read only". would i have to chmod 744 then?

EDIT: I did chmod 4755 to the folder where wuala resides, yet it still shows up as "read only" in windows?