Giving SABnzbd, Sickbeard, and CouchPotato a try...

unRaidMe

Starting a new thread so I don't hijack another... anyways, I've been wanting to try these applications to see what's so great about it and am just getting confused and somewhat frustrated.

I'm on a trial with giganews for usenet and I think I have Sickbeard set up for my shows, at least I've added them. However, there were some shows that I haven't downloaded yet so I "wanted" them but I don't know how to get them to download.

I did find an nzb and added it manually into SABnzbd. After it finished, I had to hunt down the file in the _sabnzbd\downloads\complete directory but couldn't access it on the share. I chmod everything to 755 and was able to access the directory and then had to subsequently chmod every subdirectory and file to get access through my laptop...

Anyways, just wondering what else you guys use these apps for as I don't see the justification for paying around $10/month to download the few TV shows we watch... and then a lot of these nzb search sites want subscriptions, too... why not just torrent these things and use Transmission?

Just wanting to learn... thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that every download goes into the "downloads/complete" folder but every new folder has 700 permissions... is there any way to make the permissions work properly without having to manually telnet in and set it for each download folder and file?

Thanks for your help in advance!

What version of unRAID? I can't help you with any 5.0b6 permission issues...

Did you also set up a nzb indexing site (nzbmatrix for example)? Nothing will be found without the nzb indexing site.

In SAB did you go to the General settings and generate an API key? Then, did you go to Sick and enter the SAB server info including the API key? These are in a somewhat dumb place, the Search Options under NZB Search.  Make sure to enter tv for the category too.

FYI, once you setup post-processing then it will do the moving and naming automatically. You can even manually start a download of a Sickbeard series and set it to use the post processing. Follow the steps carefully, there are 3 things you have to do and it's easy to get wrong.

- Point SAB scripts location to the AutoprocessTV directory (with Sick updates newer scripts can be used if you do it this way).

- Rename and edit the autoProcessTV.cfg file in that directory.

- Go to the Categories in SAB and set the tv script to sabtosickbeard.py

http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/wiki/PostProcessing

There are cheaper usenet options. Go here and use the Sickbeard link to sign up for blocknews if you don't download much. For example, 50gig @ $12 woud last you 2 years if you download about 1gig a month (3 shows) or 1 year if you download 2gig a month (3 HD shows). nzbmatrix was something like $9/year. Will you stop bitching if you're just spending $21/year?  ;D ;D

Peter

What version of unRAID? I can't help you with any 5.0b6 permission issues...

Yes, I am using 5.0b6a. I thought this version was pretty stable and didn't know there were permission issues... should I revert back to 4.7?

FYI, once you setup post-processing then it will do the moving and naming automatically. You can even manually start a download of a Sickbeard series and set it to use the post processing. Follow the steps carefully, there are 3 things you have to do and it's easy to get wrong.

- Point SAB scripts location to the AutoprocessTV directory (with Sick updates newer scripts can be used if you do it this way).

- Rename and edit the autoProcessTV.cfg file in that directory.

- Go to the Categories in SAB and set the tv script to sabtosickbeard.py

Thanks for the tips! I set it up and will have to wait for the next download to see if it all works!

There are cheaper usenet options. Go here and use the Sickbeard link to sign up for blocknews if you don't download much. For example, 50gig @ $12 woud last you 2 years if you download about 1gig a month (3 shows) or 1 year if you download 2gig a month (3 HD shows). nzbmatrix was something like $9/year. Will you stop bitching if you're just spending $21/year?  ;D ;D

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I wasn't complaining but trying to see the justification in subscribing. I am trying to get ideas as to how usenet is being used by other users and what makes it worth subscribing... that being said, I will probably go for a block membership vs monthly subscription.

I will have to look into using SickBeard with torrent searches to see if it's just as easy in use. Any opinions regarding this?

Thanks!

I set up SABnzbd with newzbin but did not sign up for a premium account. When I click on Connections in SAB, I get some warnings saying, "WARNING: You have no credit on your Newzbin account"

Does this affect functionality? Also, am I correct to assume that the indexing is done mostly in SickBeard so the Index settings in SABnzbd shouldn't really matter?

Thanks!

Has anyone had problems with UnMenu after installing these 3 applications? I can't access tower:8080 and wondering if it's caused by these apps...

doubtful.

Any ideas as to what may be causing unMenu to be inaccessible? Is there a to restart it or something? I telnetted in, cd /boot/unmenu and typed uu to restart unMenu but it is still inaccessible.

I also tried:

killall awk

/boot/unmenu/uu

I think SAB using port 8080 by default and it will conflict with unMENU. You can edit the config files for all 3 apps to fix such a problem.

Ah, that would explain it.  From the other SAB stuff I have read through I thought they were using 8082.  Hence my comment above.

I did set them all to use ports 8081, 8082, and 8083 and they are accessible through those ports in my browser.

Where are the config files so I can check it?

When I shut down the 3 apps via:

wget -q --delete-after http://IP:8082/shutdown?session=API-Key

wget -q --delete-after http://IP:8081/home/shutdown/

wget -q --delete-after http://IP:8083/config/exit/

then unMenu works again so I suspect it may have something to do with the configuration...

• 2 weeks later...

I will just leave this right here...

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

$11 dollars a month, unlimited download, SSL, unlimited speed and nearly 1000 days retention.  It just doesnt get any better than that.

As someone who has used them all(Giganews, Newshosting, Astraweb), save yourself the time and money and just get Astraweb through that link.

I used to pay 30 dollars for the same service on Giganews, such a joke and waste of money looking back on it.

I have used Astraweb now for nearly 2 years and i think its been down once for an hour or two.  And i heavily use it, capping out my 20Mbps download speed with 10 connections.

nzbmatrix was something like $9/year.

RE: NZBMatrix.com subscription, is this a yearly subscription? The website says, "The subscription lasts for 10 years" so I wanted to make sure I am not misunderstanding.

NZBMatrix.com accepts a one-time donation that for the most part bypasses the 24-hour nzb download limit. I can vouch for astraweb for general usenet access. I'm on their $96/yr plan and max my connection while using SSL connections. That's only $8/mo. Here's the signup link: http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/voucher.cgi?t=zgufplhxfr2cwsw.

• 2 weeks later...

Astraweb's service is on the decline--and quickly.  I'd stick with usenet server, they've been adding more and more retention and their prices seem to be the most reasonable.

http://nzb.su there's a help guide on the front page for setting everything up (basics)

http://www.r1db.com/setup_sickbeard_sabnzbd_xbmc_nzb.su_ditch_cable_satellite.htm

^ this guide might be helpful for people trying to just setup sab/sickbeard with an nzb site.  nzb.su is free, with limited api access and restricted downloads.  You can donate for more (lifetime).  Integrates very nicely with sab/sickbeard --development participation from both of them went into the backend of nzb.su.

I'm currently in the process of building my first unraid server.. im having some hickups with the full slack install/kernel build.  Any of you guys use the slack install or you running all this off of a usb drive?

Astraweb's service is on the decline--and quickly. 

No, it isn't.

mmm.  yes, fantastic point. 

I don't know if you're just guessing that everything is hunky dory with astraweb, but I can tell you that their headers have been sporadically broken for the last few months.  Some days are better than others.  As I continue to index them, I find that the problems have steadily gotten worse.  When I was still using them to pull binaries, it wasn't as noticeable and most things completed without too much help from PAR.

But ya, it is.

Archived