Preclearing/Deleting Backups

I still haven't received all my parts to build my first unRaid server but I had a couple questions.

1) How many times should I preclear my hard drives? I've read it's better to preclear a hard drive more than once.

2) After transferring my data to my unRaid server, how long should I wait before I delete my original files or remove hard drives so I can add to my unRaid server?

1. see above.

2. when you're comfortable with unraid and that your data is stable. that's a question you know best. i say transfer it over. make sure you're data is good.

pull the source drives after you feel good. label them and set them aside. forget about them for a bit. you have a 4224. you have plenty of drive bays. if you need more space today, buy a drive or two more.

If your unraid is still running in 2 weeks or 2 months from now. is 100% stable and you need the drives, do a parity check. if it passes, then put them in your unraid.

I guess the answer is when you run out of money for more drives or you are running low on drive bays or you are 100% confident in your new server. you always need more drives! so buying  some extras or having some extras on a shelf is not a waste.

**Again, this is just my theory and not some rule. my data is valuable to me and hard to replace (if i can at all). I'll take my time and go slow.

I'm filling my 4224 unraid box with drives from a migration i did last September. I have a pile of 16 2 TB drives from a 2008r2 raid migration that i had on my shelf.

I'm still in testing it myself. I am going to play with a bit , test scripts, put data on it, test permissions, test expanding the array, pull a drive and test rebuilding to a new drive., etc. get my feet wet with unraid before I completely go live. then I'll build a test  unraid box from an old workstation or server or a VM. test new stuff on that before i put it on the production box.

**At work,  when we can, we have test boxes run for a month or longer before moving them to production. the whole time is it is being synced with  the  data on the production servers. nothing is worse then a live box die.

After  it goes "live", we tend to keep the old box (or at least the drives) for a month in the rack and up  to a year in storage before decommissioning it.