Sata 3 Connected ST2000DL003 - Still slow parity check!

Hi

I am really missing something here :(

I have added a sata 3 controller card (U3S6 x4) to my setup with a ST2000DL003 2tb drive and there is no difference in parity creation speed from a WD15EADS with sata 2  ???

39,112 KB/sec

Can someone shed some light on my stupidity please?

Thanks

Hi

I am really missing something here :(

I have added a sata 3 controller card (U3S6 x4) to my setup with a ST2000DL003 2tb drive and there is no difference in parity creation speed from a WD15EADS with sata 2  ???

39,112 KB/sec

Can someone shed some light on my stupidity please?

Thanks

Yes, modern spinning platter hard drives do not exceed SATA 1 speeds.  SATA 2 and SATA 3 on spinning platter HDD are just there for marketing (for the most part).

Ok thanks, so I guess I will get a good improvement for a cache drive sata 3 ssd at a later date then?

Why is it sas drives are faster then when they are platter drives....

SAS is for high workload enterprise environments.

SAS drives have smaller platters with high torque motors to get them to spin up faster, they are also 7200rpm, 10,000rpm and 15,000 rpm to access the data faster. they also use a slightly better SCSI command set.

SAS drives are also traditionally in raid arrays so you get the combined performance of multiple spindles at once. in reality, a high performance ssd vs a single sas drive, the SSD will win. cluster several sas drives in an array, the ssd will loose.

As SSD prices drop, you will start to see SAS replaced with enterprise level SSD drives on the primary production boxes with the SAS drives on tier2.

I think it was AOL that built a half a million dollar SAS array.

• 1 month later...

I have added a sata 3 controller card (U3S6 x4) to my setup

Hi, just wondering if you have attached any USB3 drives to that card to use in your unRAID array?

I have that card and 2x 2TB USB3 drives I'm wanting to use when I build my server in the next few days.