Level 1 Certification MSI 880GMA-E45

I'm building a server for a client who wanted this motherboard so I'm getting it Level 1 certified.

Mobo:  MSI 880GMA-E45

CPU:    Sempron 145

RAM:    G.skill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL ripjaws

HDD's used in test:  2 7200 rpm Seagate 1.5TB, 1 rpm Seagate 500GB 7200 rpm

LAN: RTL8111DL

North Bridge: AMD 880G

South Bridge: AMD SB850

The 6 Sata ports are all SATA 6Gb/s.

Here's the bios settings I used.  I made these settings with just the unRAID flash plugged (no hard drives yet) so Under Boot Sequence the flash drive was the only boot device showing.  If you have other drives installed then you will also have to set the boot device to flash drive only.

Advanced Bios Feature

Boot Sequence

Boot from other Device   [No]

Primary Graphics Adapter          [internal]

Integrated Peripherals

On-chip ATA Devices

RAID Mode                    [AHCI]

[/Quote]

I have added this motherboard to the unRAID Hardware Compatibility page.

Would someone check the attached syslog?

880GMA-E45_Level1Test.zip

Thanks for taking the time to test this board.  Are you using the onboard NIC or a PCI Intel NIC?  In the syslog I see both a Broadcom NIC and an Intel NIC.  Everything else looks fine.

Oh, and you've got one smart toaster in your house :P

May 13 13:21:12 Tower dhcpcd[1322]: DHCP_OFFER received from toaster (192.168.1.1)  (Network)

May 13 13:21:12 Tower dhcpcd[1322]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for 192.168.1.40  (Network)

May 13 13:21:12 Tower dhcpcd[1322]: dhcpIPaddrLeaseTime=4294967295 in DHCP server response.  (Routine)

May 13 13:21:12 Tower dhcpcd[1322]: DHCP_ACK received from toaster (192.168.1.1)  (Routine)

May 13 13:21:12 Tower dhcpcd[1322]: infinite IP address lease time. Exiting  (Network)

I updated the first post with the LAN information.  That toaster is related to the famed Talkie Toaster.  Not as good looking but still a hard worker.

I think this will be the first motherboard with the AMD SB850 South Bridge chipset. 

If it is a realtek nic then I'm really confused why I'm seeing a Broadcom and an Intel nic in your syslog.

Also, I recommend against using the 'restore on power AC loss' feature of any motherboard.  Say you have a power blip (and aren't using a UPS) and the server goes down.  When it turns itself back on it will kick off a parity check.  Then another power blip comes along (these things often come in waves, multiple within a short amount of time).  The server again shuts down hard and then turns on and starts a parity check.  This pattern repeats until the power is stable again.  I believe it is better to just let the server go down hard once and then leave it up to the user to turn it back on when they feel the power is stable again, instead of letting it turn on and go down hard over and over again.  Of course the ideal solution is that a UPS is used, in which case that setting shouldn't ever matter.  Still, to play it safe, I always set it to 'power off'.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems the Broadcom and Intel drivers are identified in EVERY syslog, so they must be something built into unRAID that I didn't notice before.