unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta7 Available

I had no problem using 5.0-beta6, but it seems that since installing beta7 I'm not able to build parity without what appears to be a kernel panic.  The system freezes, there's output on the monitor and all the keyboard lights are flashing.  

How do I go about collecting the panic information so I can forward to Lime Tech.?

- Thanks

You might want to run a memtest... although it is as likely to be something in the new kernel, it is just as likely to be a memory issue.

Also, a "tail -f /var/log/syslog" on the system console might dump a clue or two.  A photo of it will help if there is nothing else you can capture.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

I have a Mac so now I capture the syslog from the usb else its not possible to save a .txt file.

Yes, you can save to a .txt file on a Mac. Even with TextEdit, you could save to .rtf which would be better than .doc.

But you could use TextMate (commercial software), or other freeware text editors for Mac like TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/) or you could learn the command line (pico)

Hi defected07

There is no option to upload rtf text to this site but thanks for the other options.

Rob

OS X 10.7 (Lion) doesn't work with TimeMachine, and has limited AFP support. An update to Netatalk will fix this issue. Please refer to thread below:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13852.0

LimeTech is already aware of this.  I pointed it out to him a while back so he knows an update is going to be needed.  I do not believe he has pre-release access to Lion so there will likely be some delay in getting Netatalk updated and working with Lion.

The Golden Master of Lion has been released, if you know where to look :)

Of course I do, but it is not worth trying to "get" it.  I have not even updated my Snow Leopard install for a couple of point releases.  This is mostly because I have a hacked version of Exposé installed and most all point releases break it.  I then have to reinstall the hack and hope that it works.

Hello,

I'm trying to build a new server with eight 3TB drives using Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM drives (if I get this up and running my plan is to go to 20 drives at 3TB or larger by the end of August). I am also using a 2TB Hitachi drive as a cache drive.

I used Raj's guide for a 20-drive beast rackmount server as a guide:

Unraid Server Pro 5.0-beta7

Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182211&Tpk=SUPERMICRO%20MBD-X8SIL-F-O

Controller: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (2 of them)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358&Tpk=Supermicro%20AOC-SASLP-MV8

CPU: Intel i3 540 Clarkdale

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333

PSU:Corsair TX650W

Case: Norco 4220

Right now I have four hard drives connected via the motherboard's onboard SATA slots, and the remaining five drives are spread out over the two Supermicro cards (four on one, one--the 2TB cache drive--on the other).

List of problems:

• When I boot to Unraid, I see a lot of errors flashing by and I cannot access the web management tool.

• If I disconnect the SAS cables to the SASLP cards, then Unraid boots up fine and I can access the web management tool. I can see the four hard drives that are attached to the mobo's SATA slots.

• When I reconnect the SAS cables to the SASLP cards and boot into BIOS, I can see them. They are listed as 3TB drives. When I access the SASLP cards' BIOS (using CTRL + M on boot-up), I can see all the hard drives being reported at their proper size.

• The firmware version of the SASLP cards is 3.1.0.21

• I have (per Raj's instructions on the SASLP card in his "SATA Controller Cards" thread) disabled the INT13 function (no idea what it does) on these cards after they failed on me. They failed again in seemingly the same way after I disabled it.

As of right now, it seems that I could have a six-drive system up and running (if I max out the onboard SATA slots). That would get me to 15TB of storage, but for what I'm trying to do I need 20TB or more. If anyone has any suggestions, I would much appreciate it.

If anyone has any card recommendations (to replace the SASLP cards if they are indeed the problem), I would again much appreciate it.

syslog.txt

OS X 10.7 (Lion) doesn't work with TimeMachine, and has limited AFP support. An update to Netatalk will fix this issue. Please refer to thread below:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13852.0

LimeTech is already aware of this.  I pointed it out to him a while back so he knows an update is going to be needed.  I do not believe he has pre-release access to Lion so there will likely be some delay in getting Netatalk updated and working with Lion.

:)  Cheers! Pays to search the forum!

Man, just my luck to post this just as everyone was migrating to 5.0-beta8.

I've built this server (if anyone is listening) using the six mobo SATA slots and five 3TB drives (we used a 2TB drive as the cache). I've sent the server with our team on location (we do film post-production and editing) 1,200 miles away. The guys who are with the server are even less tech-savvy than I am.

Anyone care to take a look at the syslog I attached to my original post (two above this post) and help figure out what might be going wrong with the controller cards?

I'm going to have them upgrade to the new beta when they get to the hotel but I won't be able to get them to produce a new log of the failures with the controller cards because it would require them to do way more than I'm comfortable with asking. Hopefully I'll do a set visit in the next few weeks and be able to churn out a new syslog (maybe by then v5 will be out of beta???).

Thanks...

Hello,

I'm trying to build a new server with eight 3TB drives using Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM drives (if I get this up and running my plan is to go to 20 drives at 3TB or larger by the end of August). I am also using a 2TB Hitachi drive as a cache drive.

I used Raj's guide for a 20-drive beast rackmount server as a guide:

<SNIP>

Right now I have four hard drives connected via the motherboard's onboard SATA slots, and the remaining five drives are spread out over the two Supermicro cards (four on one, one--the 2TB cache drive--on the other).

Have you seen this thread?

It seems that you are not the only person currently experiencing problems with MV8 cards.

Have you seen thisthread?

It seems that you are not the only person currently experiencing problems with MV8 cards.

No...I had not seen that. It gives me some hope, because replacing controller cards is about the easiest fix I can think of.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I just took the hard drives out of two of my WD MyBook Essentials 3T and put them straight into my unRAID box (no jumpers set). I assigned the first one as PARITY drive and the second one as additional data drive. 

unRAID identifies the discs as:

Model Number:      WDC WD30EZRS-00J99B0                   

Serial Number:      WD-WCAWZ0290398

Firmware Revision:  80.00A80

Currently the parity rebuilding is running (the array also contains 7 additional  2TB discs) and everything looks fine so far.

BUT: In the "myMain" overview (unMenu) I get a HPA-"warning" for the new 3TB discs.

Yesterday I tried to remove the HPA by using hdat2, but the bootable CD doesn't work properly: After booting from USB DVD-drive and selecting "option 1" the server doesn't find hdat2.

Command line method for removing of HPA doesn't work either.

Can I just ignore the HPA warning?

Chris

Hi all,

I just took the hard drives out of two of my WD MyBook Essentials 3T and put them straight into my unRAID box (no jumpers set). I assigned the first one as PARITY drive and the second one as additional data drive. 

Model Number:       WDC WD30EZRS-00J99B0                   

Currently the parity rebuilding is running (the array also contains 7 additional  2TB discs) and everything looks fine so far.

BUT: In the "myMain" overview (unMenu) I get a HPA-"warning" for the new 3TB discs.

Yesterday I tried to remove the HPA by using hdat2, but the bootable CD doesn't work properly: After booting from USB DVD-drive and selecting "option 1" the server doesn't find hdat2.

Chris

Ignore it.  It probably has no idea of the expected size of the 3TB drives.

Hi all,

Model Number:       WDC WD30EZRS-00J99B0                   

Chris

Ignore it.  It probably has no idea of the expected size of the 3TB drives.

Thank you! I'll ignore it.

Chris

Hi all,

Model Number:       WDC WD30EZRS-00J99B0                    

Serial Number:      WD-WCAWZ0290398

Firmware Revision:  80.00A80

Currently the parity rebuilding is running (the array also contains 7 additional  2TB discs) and everything looks fine so far.

Chris

Ignore it.  It probably has no idea of the expected size of the 3TB drives.

Thank you! I'll ignore it.

Chris

On the other hand, to help bjp999, attach your syslog.  

Or, at the least, post the output of

hdparm -N /dev/sdX

and

blockdev  --getsz /dev/sdX

where sdX = your drive.

Okay, here we go:

(meanwhile 3 x 3 TB, a 4th to come)

WD30EZRS 1:

unRAID-Web-Interface:

WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0290398 (sdh) 2930266584

command line:

/dev/sdh:

max sectors   = 5860533168/5284784(5860533168?), HPA setting seems invalid (buggy kernel device driver?)

blockdev --getsz /dev/sdh

WD30EZRS 2:

unRAID-Web-Interface:

WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0214611 (sdb) 2930266584

command line:

/dev/sdb:

max sectors   = 5860533168/5860533168, HPA is disabled

blockdev --getsz /dev/sdb

WD30EZRX 1

unRAID-Web-Interface:

WDC_WD30EZRX-00MMMB0_WD-WCAWZ0718714 (sda) 2930266584

command line:

/dev/sda:

max sectors   = 5860533168/5860533168, HPA is disabled

blockdev --getsz /dev/sda

unMenu reports that all three drives might have an HPA.

In the meanwhile I could get HDAT2 to work. According to HDAT2 none of the drives contains a host protected area.

Strange new 3TB drives...

Best wishes,

Chris

It seems hdparm might need/should be updated to handle the larger drives.

looks to me like hdparm is only reporting on what the device driver is telling it.  It worked on 2 out of 3 drives... bet those two are on a different disk controller.

The buggy one and a good one are on the main board controller, the second good one is hooked to a PCIe card.

Parity check worked fine, no errors.

Is there any danger for my data? Have a bad feeling...

I just upgraded from 5b7 to 5b8c.

This box is still 5B7. it is my other box that is 5B8c

I though I had upgraded this one also.

Problem:

after a reboot today, the array was stopped. as long as it was stopped i added a new cache drive and hit start.

it started up just fine. I saw the array and the correct disk usage. it also said the cache drive was unformated (it was).

I hit the "format all unformated drives" check/button combo.

"CRASH!" server just turned off! it was about the same as unpluging from the wall. no reboot.

On restart, all drives are showing as "unformated" and all data "looks" to be gone. I am guessing there is no syslog from that crash?

I'll include the first one from reboot. i doubt it helps  but just in case...

oops.png.7795e26a57c3bd35430549213adac1cd.png

syslog-2011-07-10.zip