Replacment disk is too small.

Managed to download v4.7, but I'm now getting the "Replacment disk is too small.", but I didn't replace any drives.

Syslog shows:

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: SAMSUNG HD502HI, ATA DISK drive

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: host max PIO4 wanted PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: UDMA/100 mode selected

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: max request size: 512KiB

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: Host Protected Area detected.

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: ^Icurrent capacity is 976771055 sectors (500106 MB)

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: ^Inative  capacity is 976773168 sectors (500107 MB)

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: 976771055 sectors (500106 MB) w/16384KiB Cache, CHS=60801/255/63

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: cache flushes supported

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel:  hdc: hdc1

Jun 13 11:19:03 Tower kernel: md: import disk1: [22,0] (hdc) SAMSUNG HD502HI S1VZJ1NQB06007 size: 488385492

Jun 13 11:19:03 Tower kernel: md: disk1 wrong

Are these the commands that I should issue?

hdparm -N p976773168 /dev/sdc

hdparm -N /dev/sdc

(i.e., native capacity instead of current capacity?)

Well, issued the commands for the wrong device.

Now, for the right one...

root@Tower:~# hdparm -N p976773168 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
setting max visible sectors to 976773168 (permanent)
The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS_EXT failed: Invalid argument
root@Tower:~# hdparm -N /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
root@Tower:~#

But the error message still shows up for that drive.

If the drive is not an IDE drive then you need to check your BIOS settings and set anything related to chipsets and SATA mode to AHCI and NOT IDE combined, emulated, native, etc.

If the hdparm command is not working then you are probaly going to have to use another tool.  Something like HDAT2 should work.

Also, read through the rest of the announcement thread and do a search to find what others have done to remove HPA from there drives.

Also, can you give us a breakdown of all your hardware in your server.

Thank you, I will do it.

The hardware is, besides the harddrives:

Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H AMD785G SKAM3

AMD Sempron 140 Socket AM3

Team xtreem DDR2 2x512MB PC5300 Micron

Did you disable the "feature" in the Gigabyte BIOS that creates the HPA to store a copy of the BIOS?  If not, you are fighting a losing battle.

Did you disable the "feature" in the Gigabyte BIOS that creates the HPA to store a copy of the BIOS?  If not, you are fighting a losing battle.

I'll have to check that and have to dome some research on that feature.

This disk was previously on an HTPC also with a Gigabyte board, where it was the only harddrive. If the board on the unRaid server didn't do it, probably the HTPC's did.

If this is a losing battle, the best to do is to keep the 4.5.3 version, and not upgrade to 4.7?

I'm also in the process of adding 2 new harddrives, so perhaps I could replace the offending disk with one of the new ones?

If your current unRAID MB does not have HPA off by default it will recreate the HPA.

Correct

You'll need a new MB if your ever want to upgrade.

Not quite correct.  So long as there is a BIOS option to turn HPA (or save BIOS to HDD, or something to that effect) off then you are a step in the correct direction.

Check for a BIOS update for your motherboard also, and if there is one then it is probably best to install it.  Then "Load defaults" in the BIOS to see what the settings are.  If HPA is on by default then you will probably want to ditch that motherboard as it will more than likely cause problems later down the road.

I run a Gigabyte board in my main system and have not had any problems with it.  The HPA feature is off by defualt and I have never had a problem with HPA being added to an HDD in the system.

Ok, finally got to it.  :)

The Bios backup setting was Off, so I can only imagine that the board where this harddrive was previously had that setting ON.

Indeed the Controller mode was set to Legacy IDE, so I changed that to AHCI, issued the hdparm commands, rebooted and Unraid is upgrading the disk as we speak (blue ball).

Next, I'll preclear a new WD EARS20 2.0 TB (jumper on, 63K option, preclear -a setting) to replace the drive that is being upgraded now.

Archived