Trust Parity with 5.0 Series?

I was trying to use the "trust parity" procedure with 5.0b7 and could not get it to work.

First problem - running initconfig (or doing same through GUI) unRaid clears all of the drive assignements, instead of leaving the drives assigned and turning the icons blue.

Second problem, if you reassign all of the disks to the right slots, and enter the command:

mdcmd set invalidslot 99

unRAID does not return the normal

cmdOper=set

cmdResult=ok

Third and worst problem - if you start the unRAID array after following these two steps, a parity sync and not a parity check begins.

I believe that the breakage may have occurred when the config screen was removed and unRaid started changing the main screen into the config screen when the array is stopped.

Anyone had any luck with this in 5.0b6a+, or have any ideas?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hate to bump a 4 month old thread,  but instead of creating one myself, for the same subject....

I'm going to remove several drives from my UnRaid -- and short of doing them the long-and-slow-way,  I understand what this alternative is.  {I have several 500mb, a 750mb, etc that need to be retired for new a set of 2TB precleared drives}

But, since I'm now on 5.0-beta14 -- do we know if this "mdcmd set invalidslot 99" is working in this version {or how to tell?}

If not, I'm prepared to do it the one-at-a-time, rebuild parity, etc, etc... 

{Or, if the answer should be -- just do it the hard way,  I want to hear that}

Hate to bump a 4 month old thread,  but instead of creating one myself, for the same subject....

I'm going to remove several drives from my UnRaid -- and short of doing them the long-and-slow-way,  I understand what this alternative is.  {I have several 500mb, a 750mb, etc that need to be retired for new a set of 2TB precleared drives}

So are you wanting to move the data to the new drives? If so, and if it were me, I think I'd add the new drives to the array in new slots if you have the physical and port space, and copy the data to the new drives using mc. After the data was successfully copied, I'd break the array, remove the old drives, and recalculate parity with only the new drives using the new config button. If you DON'T have extra ports and space for the drives, I'd add one of the new drives as an upgrade to the drive with the most data on it, then copy all the data you can from the small drives to the new one, if you run out of space do the same upgrade procedure to replace the old drive with the most data left. Then after you have all the data on the new drives, then break the array and recalculate parity with just the new drives. If you do it this way, you will still have all your data on the old drives (assuming you copy and not move) and the risk of losing data while rebuilding parity is pretty small.

I'm not sure why you want to do a "trust parity" procedure. Could you enlighten me on what you planned on doing that would require a "trust parity"?

I'm assuming in all this that you already have a 2TB parity drive.

I'm not sure why you want to do a "trust parity" procedure. Could you enlighten me on what you planned on doing that would require a "trust parity"?

The theory, as I understand it, is that if I'm going to do the following:

1) Add 2x 2TB drives

2) Remove 3x 500, 1x 750

Then I can do it the "hard way", and with an exposure when parity is invalid while it recomputes..  and have to do this at least two times... as I remove my various drives, etc.

Eg, Add a 2tb drive, copy the data from one the other drives, remove that drive, "initconfig", and rebuild parity -- rinse, repeat over and over -- {and this actually has to be done several times as I have only 1 free slot right now}

OR...  I could add a 2TB drive,  copy the data from the three 500mb drives, and zero out the old drives -- all the while, I'm protected by parity..  then remove the old drives, now zero'd -- do the "trust parity" function.  And do this once again for the last 2TB add and 750 remove.

I've avoided having to recompute parity {which, for me, takes about 9 hours} -- and doing that multiple times -- and avoided being "exposed" during each of those periods.

...Chuck

1) Add 2x 2TB drives

2) Remove 3x 500, 1x 750

Then I can do it the "hard way", and with an exposure when parity is invalid while it recomputes..  and have to do this at least two times... as I remove my various drives, etc.

Eg, Add a 2tb drive, copy the data from one the other drives, remove that drive, "initconfig", and rebuild parity -- rinse, repeat over and over -- {and this actually has to be done several times as I have only 1 free slot right now}

OR...  I could add a 2TB drive,  copy the data from the three 500mb drives, and zero out the old drives -- all the while, I'm protected by parity..  then remove the old drives, now zero'd -- do the "trust parity" function.  And do this once again for the last 2TB add and 750 remove.

I've avoided having to recompute parity {which, for me, takes about 9 hours} -- and doing that multiple times -- and avoided being "exposed" during each of those periods.

...Chuck

Substantially, the "trust parity" procedure DOES NOT WORK AS DESCRIBED IN THE WIKI in the latter 5.0beta series.    It stopped working when the "devices" page was eliminated.  it is because without the "devices" page unRAID now re-loads the "md" device driver every time you refresh the page. (wiping out the "trust")

I'd personally not "trust" my data to a process I know no longer works as it used to until you get specific instructions from lime-technology, OR practice on a server where you can experiment without worry of losing precious data.

Joe L.

1) Add 2x 2TB drives

2) Remove 3x 500, 1x 750

...Chuck

Substantially, the "trust parity" procedure DOES NOT WORK AS DESCRIBED IN THE WIKI in the latter 5.0beta series.    It stopped working when the "devices" page was eliminated.  it is because without the "devices" page unRAID now re-loads the "md" device driver every time you refresh the page. (wiping out the "trust")

I'd personally not "trust" my data to a process I know no longer works as it used to until you get specific instructions from lime-technology, OR practice on a server where you can experiment without worry of losing precious data.

Joe L.

That's all I needed to hear :)  The oracle has spoken.

I'll do it the hard way :)