SAB + SiCK + COUCH... which CPU? which RAM?

eskro666

hmmm..

ok so, let's say a download has to be repaired and verified,

while watching a 1080P movie on my HTPC,

will the movie play without issues meanwhile?

thx

That I do not know, I am in the middle of testing/installing SAB on my unRAID test server.  I think most all install instructions use the single core version of par2cmdline so if it starts a repair it is probably going to be hitting the same CPU as the one that is streaming the file.

Assuming you are not trying to transcode the 1080p before playing it on the HTPC I think you should be OK.  If you are trying to run Air Video and transcode the 1080p file while at the same time doing a repair of a file one or both of those things might slow down and Air Video might become unusable for that period of time.

ok, seems logic... thanks alot :)

i guess the SEMPRON 140 + 1GB of RAM

is enough for letting a NAS just be a NAS...

no extra fuss...

but if i plan on using extra stuff like SAB + SiCK + COUCH,

probably safer going with the ATHLON X2 250 + 2GB's of RAM at least...

that seems good???

thx

I have 2gig and a BE2350 processor. I have no idea where it compared but I'd guess about equivalent to a dual core Sempron. I am running the multicore par2 (which gets installed if you use the Wiki method with the Sab dependencies file) and I have never seen any issues. I have caught a single par2 running very close to 200% CPU time and the streaming kept working. So, I would suspect a Sempron would also work fine but just be slower processing any files.

Peter

Until october I was running these 3 programs on a P4 2.4Ghz downclocked to 1.8 on 1Gb of ram.

There were no problems at all, not a single glitch, watching a 1080p movie while unpacking or repairing.

I finally upgraded to a low power dualcore ATHLON X2 245e because I could not stand the low transfer speeds between hard drives due to the pci limitation of 33MB/s.

SAB can very definitely run out of RAM. If it does then it will use the disk more..... meaning slower part concatenation, par2 and unpacking. In a perfect world all usenet content will be packaged correctly but there are many uploads that can require alot more RAM.

If disk thrashing doesn't bother you too much then everything is fine, if not make sure SAB has enough RAM. What is enough...? More than it needs is the simple answer but should at least be more than the biggest single file part you download which in some cases could easily be hundreds of MBs and I have seen over 1GB

Just to add another question to this, are there any settings that need to be adjusted so installed programs have access to the RAM in the unRaid environment?  I've seen a few posts about vfs_cache_pressure.  I've changed it command line but when I reboot it changes back to the default of 10.

Is changing this setting necessary?  I had the extra RAM laying around so I put 8GB in my new build since I'm running MySQL, SABnzbd, Sickbeard and CP. 

When I check the ram, the majority of it is being used. (cache)

With the cache pressure set to 10, I've noticed when SAB is unpacking etc the browser response to unRaid slows down to a crawl.

I'm pretty new to using a linux based OS so any help is greatly appreciated.

This is why I put together a Windows computer to handle all my TV/Music/Movie downloading and processing. The computer is on my network and basically just dumps files on my unRAID server. Since I stream off my unRAID server, that is why I threw up another computer and it all works great together.

This is why I put together a Windows computer to handle all my TV/Music/Movie downloading and processing. The computer is on my network and basically just dumps files on my unRAID server. Since I stream off my unRAID server, that is why I threw up another computer and it all works great together.

I put it all on the server and it works great there too. It takes very little CPU time to stream a media file.

FYI, I stuck a BOINC client on my server for something to do and my server has been working great for the last few months while running at 100% CPU time. The web page access is just a little slower.

Peter

I doubt it's generally bogging the system down.  Here are the specs:

GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 motherboard

Intel core i3 540 processor

8 GB Crucial DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Seasonic Gold SS-560KM power supply

500 GB Caviar black Cache drive

3TB Caviar green as parity (2.2TB in 4.7)

9.5 TB in the array:

2 TB caviar green x3

2 TB caviar black x1

1.5 TB Seagate 7200.11

I would think with that power, it wouldn't have an issue running unRaid + all the apps.  I just need to figure out if there are any options or tweaks to get it to run well.  I've taken one poster's advice and left the cache pressure at 10 and it seems to be running fine while streaming and dl/processing movies and TV shows in SAB.

Archived