[Solved] Can't assign Parity Drive

I just finished pre-clearing my parity drive (3TB) on v5 beta 7.  I stopped the array created the reiserfs file system on the drive using the unmenu interface.  Then I went into the normal interface and added that drive as the parity drive.  I check marked the "Yes I want to do this" and then the "Start" button.  

Unfortunately it told me that the parity device wasn't valid and refused to start the array.  I changed the parity back to "Unassigned" and was then able to restart the array.  Sorry I can't be more detailed, but I'm afraid to go back through the process before getting help.  

Attached is my log.  

Syslog.txt

I just finished pre-clearing my parity drive (3TB) on v5 beta 7.  I stopped the array created the reiserfs file system on the drive using the unmenu interface.  Then I went into the normal interface and added that drive as the parity drive.  I check marked the "Yes I want to do this" and then the "Start" button. 

Unfortunately it told me that the parity device wasn't valid and refused to start the array.  I changed the parity back to "Unassigned" and was then able to restart the array.  Sorry I can't be more detailed, but I'm afraid to go back through the process before getting help. 

Attached is my log. 

First, the parity drive NEVER has a file system, so you made a mistake in creating one on it.  Basically, you NEVER use the unMENU button to create a file system on a disk UNLESS IT IS NOT GOING TO BE PART OF THE ARRAY. And, the parity disk NEVER has a file system regardless.

The partition you created is completely invalid.  I strongly suggest you zero the MBR and begin again.

If you are attempting to swap in a different parity dusk, and there is already established parity, all you should have to do is stop the array, swap the disks, assign the new drive (possibly) and start the array.

Joe L.

First, the parity drive NEVER has a file system, so you made a mistake in creating one on it.  Basically, you NEVER use the unMENU button to create a file system on a disk UNLESS IT IS NOT GOING TO BE PART OF THE ARRAY. And, the parity disk NEVER has a file system regardless.

Oops.  I honestly think I used that button with my two data drives that are now part of the array, but everything seems to be working properly.  Is there something I need to change?

The partition you created is completely invalid.  I strongly suggest you zero the MBR and begin again.

Would either of these be the correct command for that operation?  I found them while searching around, but I'm not if either are correct.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX count = 64

preclear_disk.sh -z /dev/sdX (where X is the drive letter)

Thank you.

First, the parity drive NEVER has a file system, so you made a mistake in creating one on it.  Basically, you NEVER use the unMENU button to create a file system on a disk UNLESS IT IS NOT GOING TO BE PART OF THE ARRAY. And, the parity disk NEVER has a file system regardless.

Oops.  I honestly think I used that button with my two data drives that are now part of the array, but everything seems to be working properly.  Is there something I need to change?

The only reason it had no impact was because you did not yet have a parity drive installed.

Once you establish parity, if you had created a file system on the disk to be added before adding it, the disk would not be considered as cleared, and the unRAID software would clear it again, keeping your server off-line for the 6 to 8 hours it takes to clear it.

Yes, either command would work. Make damn sure you get the right device number for X.

Peter

Ok.  I have the serial number of the drive written down, but I'll double check just to be sure.  I'll also have the wife take a look just to have another set of eyes so I don't mess anything up and lose all my data.

Archived