Web based torrent and emule clients?

NLS

Are there any good web based torrent and emule clients that could be installed on unRAIDs current slackware?

Will they be able to use my shares? (or better just one disk from those shares that I might decide it won't spin down ever)

Will they be able to use the web server already installed in unraid?

If I can move my "community sharing" to unRAID (which will be on all the time anyway) then I don't need to keep a second computer on (and online) all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to refresh this.

I found possible candidates:

http://www.torrentflux.com/ and

http://www.amule.org/

...so, is it possible to run those two in unRAID?

Using possibly one (some) of the mounted disks and the existing web server (possibly using different ports or /subfolders from the main page)...

Who can help?

In my ultimate unRAID scenario, one of my unRAID disks is used by the torrent and emule clients and I don't need to have my Windows Server on all the time...

I have an AMD64 and it's giving me nothing but trouble installing packages.  (see my comments on Twonky).

I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to invest more time in the AMD64 (recompile kernel with http://www.slamd64.com/ maybe?). It's definitely unchartered waters.

I will probably wind up switching out my mobo/cpu at some point.

I have a spare box that I'm going to bring up a windows server or ubuntu, and go from there.

Lessen learned, if you want to play around with packages don't get an AMD64, otherwise unraid seems to work fine.

yea.  I was looking at the .config included in unraid:

CONFIG_X86_64 is not set

CONFIG_RESOURCES_64BIT is not set

That's a start, but it would be some trial and error until I compiled the Kernel with everything I need.

I probably will swap out the mobo/cpu, not for a while, however.

Anyone out there offer any insight into this AMD64 situation?

This is not a lightweight process group that lends itself well to running on a ram disk.

I think the requirements are going to be a much larger amount of memory.

From what I saw it Requires

* Apache with PHP module

* MySQL Database

* Python 2.2 or higher

So we'll have to deal with the DISK footprint (on ram if you want hard drives to spin down) and the memory footprint.

Unless we could come to some agreement on a static disk/flash based filesystem.

I made a proposal on another thread about using a loopback filesystem mounted on /usr/local

This would allow us to do a

ROOT=/usr/local installpkg package.tgz

and keep the files around after a reboot.

Another choice is a mount -o bind to mount a directory on one of the disks to /usr/local

I'm not sure if the appropriate disk would spin down if mySQL was running.

In the meantime, I just compiled ctorrent and run that using screen (so I can detach the session).

Well indeed this is how I thought it would work anyway.

I plan on letting a disk on at all times (after all if you share files, that disk won't spin down ever anyway).

So mounting a (selectable) disk and folders for the DB, temp files and torrents themselves, is not a problem.

(that same disk will probably hold more files I want to access at all times from the network - without wanting the delay of spin up)

I plan on using a larger than specs USB stick (1GB), but I don't want to be wrote too much (aging problems).

My system has 2GB RAM anyway (usable with last unRAID version).

So pretty please look into it. :)

after all where is ctorrent holding the torrents?

Not sure I understand this one.

I download a .torrent file to the disk with wget, then run ctorrent and the .torrent file, then let it sit.

If I need to run another, I open another screen and do the same.

Granted I only use it once in a while and mostly for Linux ISO images.

exactly - but this is the common usage when you download files nobody expects you to share :) (like a small ISO for a Linux distro)

in the "normal" torrent world (and how the protocol works after all), you download the file (to a disk right?) and then you are expected to share it for some time (or indefinitely) so that other get parts from you...

so we need a disk to download the torrent (which could be a multigigabyte torrent) and then keep it on that disk

not RAM (usually cannot be big enough esp. if you share multiple files) and of course not the USB stick

so if you need a disk on-line anyway, why not keep the temp files of the torrent there and any databases the program itself probably needs?

if torrent was for me "just another downloader", then using my normal PC is enough - the point here is keeping a machine powered on at all times (and just one)

hope you get me

if a torrent client is really being considered then rTorrent is the only option.

ALL other Linux based clients are flawed in some way and most have known bugs that will cause you problems in the real world.

The problem is the torrent spec isnt written down properly anywhere (and likely never will be now its doing its best to go commercial) so any client that isnt actively developed and more importantly tested in the real world against real trackers coded by monkeys will die.

This is especially true if you use non public trackers that use a ratio... use of random versions of weird non maintained clients WILL get into grief/banned.

Careful configuration of the default rTorrent settings will be needed to stop your NAS becoming a disk thrashing monster.

nCurses.

Normally you would run it via screen. The good news that configured correctly it is probably the slickest least resource hungry client out there.

It seems a bit daunting at first but an hour of reading and experimenting and you wont look back.

Basically theres a whole torrent scene on the net that can swallow you whole ... but i can summarise it to... use rTorrent stables and keep up to date :)

There are web guis out there but they are relatively new and require XMLRPC. In theory this should work with lighty but would need some experimentation.

However the ncurses gui is the best IMHO and is natively coded and tested.

rTorrent is also the most popular linux client in the world by a HUGE margin.

p.s. stay away from tflux. there is a forked version that uses a better backend client but the main branch uses a backend thats so old its silly. (plus its a server resource killer spanning a whole client thread for every torrent you add and all the associated memory and disk usage never mind apache and mysql)

btw the main problem is not so much getting used to a text based environment (I started like that like all people with 25 years computing background)... it is that interfacing with my windows machines is a priority (and web based clients make this easy, while telnet terminals don't)

If you must have a web based client that berlios fork is the best. However you will need some considerable effort to make it work well as with all these things they are geared to running on crappy hosting and so are not efficient.

Just make sure you dont go OTT with the number of peer options or slots cause it wont be unusal to have a few thousand people waiting in a queue to grab tiny bits of the files from you. So what this means is 24*7 your drives seeking tiny file parts non stop for a sea of people waiting to get stuff. aka a disk thrashing monster.

I should say though that I think it is folly adding a torrent client to a NAS but if you must then use rTorrent. If you need a web based one I gracefully bow out cause in time someone is going to suffer from something bad caused by the general crapness of them :)

Seriously the only people that should use tflux etc are people on shared hosting that dont have shell access ... thats what they are designed for.

The rTorrent seems pretty do-able.

I just found two pre-requisites fairly easy.

One is a standard slackware package "curl"

The other is libsigc++ which is available here.

http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.0/libraries/libsigc++/

If I am ambitious tonight, I'll boot up my development environment and try to compile everything together.

I would also suggest installation of screen so you can detach from the session.

(unless you run it from the console).

http://packages.slackware.it/package.php?q=current/screen-4.0.3-i486-1

or dtach http://dtach.sourceforge.net/

You won't need a guide for the libs.

Just an installpkg will do.

As for screen, here's a man page to help you get started and give an understanding if you choose to use it.

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/unix/package/epics/extensions/iocConsole/screen.1.html

I don't have the time right now to condense it.

It's so automatic for me I would have to actually sit there and think of what I'm typing..

(I run on autopilot allot and use all the brain cells to write special chroot jails for our network servers LOL)