Web based torrent and emule clients?

NLS

I've used torrentflux for years.  The recent version is the easiest to set up yet.  I like it.

I'm sure it's easy to set up once.

But then you need to automate setting it up each time the system is rebooted.

Or at the very least automate putting back what was once installed.

It requires a web server, sql db, python, php so it makes it a bit heavy for a root ram filesystem.

Not only are you using ram up for the files on disk after installed, but then as they are running i.e. mysql.

I was looking at torrentfulx-b4rt I think .this used sqlite. which is a plus.

Still the first setup is easy, it's doing it over and over again after rebooting.

With the rtorrent it's a simple installpkg then installing your .rtorrent.rc and any support packages you want.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got my 2.6.26-rc7 kernel built tonight and it's up and running on my unRAID box.

It looks like the FUSE mmap() support in 2.6.26 is working well so far.  My rtorrent installation seems to be working just fine.  If I have some spare time I'll write up a quick guide on using rtorrent with unRAID.  My reason for choosing rtorrent is because like somebody else mentioned; it's one of the few clients that is allowed on most private torrent trackers.

It's really not too difficult to get going if you have a little bit of linux knowledge.  You just need to install the packages I mentioned in my previous post, along with the rtorrent and libtorrent packages.  Create a simple .rtorrent configuration file and you're pretty much good to go.

I wanted to continue this in it's proper place.

I'm considering an rtorrent install package and then a secondary rtorrent pacakge for the location.

This will let you select the home directory of a user called rtorrent then have the application use that as it;s home base.

Thereafter you can do something like

HOME=/mnt/disk1/bittorrent installpkg rtorrent_unraid.tgz

which will make the user, build the home tree, then put the .rtorrent.rc file in place include the session and watch directories, etc, etc.. then setup a startup script to launch it with screen...

one of the cool things I've learned about screen is you can start rtorrent with

screen -S rtorrent -D -m /usr/bin/rtorrent

which will start it in the background...

Then login from some other location and run 

screen -X rtorrent

and see/control a copy of the session.

When you disconnect from this session, the other session is still running...

Pretty cool.

So this is one of the things I've been working on.. i.e. automating the install.

Getting back to the issue with the kernel.. set the /home directory of the rtorrent user to the /mnt/diskx directory...

then when the latest/greatest kernel is ready, alter the home directory.

If the .rtorrent.rc is using relative directories such as

~rtorrent

~rtorrent/session

~rtorrent/watch

then you should still work OK.

That's a really cool idea WeeboTech.

I guess there's still the issue of customizing the .rtorrent.rc file.  I've set mine up like so:

port_range = 1720-1740
directory = /mnt/user/Junk/torrents/data
session = /mnt/user/Junk/torrents/.rtorrent-session
safe_sync = yes
stop_on_ratio=100

schedule = watch_directory_music,10,10,"load_start=/mnt/user/Junk/torrents/music/*.torrent,d.set_custom1=/mnt/user/Music"
schedule = watch_directory_video,10,10,"load_start=/mnt/user/Junk/torrents/video/*.torrent,d.set_custom1=/mnt/user/Video"
schedule = watch_directory_other,10,10,"load_start=/mnt/user/Junk/torrents/other/*.torrent,d.set_custom1=/mnt/user/Junk"

on_finished = move_complete,"execute=mv,-u,$d.get_base_path=,$d.get_custom1=.set_directory=$d.get_custom1="

The cool part is the schedule commands.  It'll auto-load torrent files and then move them to my proper user share when they complete.  This makes my rtorrent pretty much take care of itself.

My quesstion is..

if rtorrent moves the files after download, does it stop seeding..

For some packages I want to build I want to continuously seed.

I am liking what i am seeing more and more.  It sounds like this could be really handy and very useful.

Like others have mentioned it would be great to get a n00b guide to doing this in a write up.  If we could get someone in the know on how to do these customizations and if they are willing to put up a guide we could have a "User Customizations" section in the wiki instead of just the "How To's" and "Add-on's" section.  This might make it a little clearer for the new comes to find.

I plan to set up a way to FTP into the box and drop the .torrent file in a given torrents folder and let the client take care of the rest (assuming i get it set up the way i want).  So while a web GUI is not imperative for me to use it it would be that "extra step" to make it perfect.  The main thing i am looking for, with any of these customizations is a write up for n00b's on how to do this stuff.

Well, thats my 2 cents

> So... should I?

Of course.  The tools I provided will work... they are just not 100% to the end goal.

At the core, you still have to learn using screen, rtorrent and setting up a .rtorrent.rc  file.

It will never be so point and click that you don't get involved under the hood in some manner.

The only way that is possible is if Tom includes a base config in the core distribution.

To Get us Started.

Here is a "simple" torrent client.

It's use is very basic and is designed to download a single torrent at a time.

The original source, Enhanced Source

http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net/

http://www.rahul.net/dholmes/ctorrent/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dtorrent/

Slackware unRAID Package and Just the Binary

http://www.cotrone.com/rob/projects/unraid/

Download and install the client somewhere...

I usually put it the binary in /boot/custom/bin

and/or install the package in /boot/custom/usr/share/packages the copy the binary to /boot/custom/bin

Download your .torrent file to a destination work directory on your share.

Telnet into your unRAID box or login via console.

CD to the directory you want to download in or where the .torrent files live.

run

ctorrent <filename.torrent>

let it rip.

You will need to leave the session open (if telneting) or leave the console logged in.

I have not tested this new version out yet, as I'm testing out rtorrent, which is a bit more involved in setup.

if need be, we can work on a screen tutorial which can help with detaching / re-attaching the terminal session, thereby allowing you to logoff.

SCREEN http://packages.slackware.it/package.php?q=12.0/screen-4.0.3-i486-1

UTEMTER http://packages.slackware.it/package.php?q=12.0/utempter-1.1.4-i486-1

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've been using it for quite some time.

I'm still fine tuning the startup script.

I have it working through screen.

The cool thing is, it starts in the background then you can use putty to connect and do

screen -x rtorrent 

and monitor the screen.

I had a test version running with lightttpd, but I do not have an install script for it yet.

So right now it's console only, however it is working.. OUTSIDE of user shares.

The caveat right now is the kernel does not support mmap on the usershare so I have to cd directly to the disk sare

cd /mnt/disk1/bittorent.

I suppose I make what I have available for people to play with.

I'll see about packing up a torrent with all the relative packages.

There's a number of packages that have to be installed for it to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am interested in a client but man a WEB based frontend would sure make it easier. The Tflux package looks pretty nice but man the reqs http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.0 are a bit heavy! I'm running my box off of a flash drive and no cache drive - low memory too. However bumping up memory and adding a drive would be no big deal to support this. I run uTorrent 24X7 on a winders box now so I've always got a drive spinning anyway. <shrug>

I see the need for a browser based front end.

I've been working on rtorrent for a while now getting as familiar as possible.

I choose this one because it uses curses (screen with putty),  sssh (ntorrent),  Browser with Lighttpd and SCGI.

So one program from three different interfaces.

The trick for me has been tuning the rtorrent.rc file, getting familiar with all the options.

In addition, coming up with a clean install solution is a bit of a chore.

Running this as root now, which is not a good thing.

We need to automate a user id install (not that hard), but also force the home directory of that user install to be on one of the disk shares.

Right now rtorrent uses mmap which in the current kernel is not compatible with fuse. It's minor really.

My only thing right now is I'm using rtorrent so heavily I can't shut it down to test LOL.

I have to test this out on a different box for now.

Thereafter I may have a solution to the web based install.

So Although there seems no movement, I'm working behind the scene.

If people have some rtorrent.rc files they could post with customizations I would be appreciative.

I found some modules that let you move torrents to/from directories as they change status from leech to seed.

I've learned this so far. My unRAID box is often in a high %WA state (Waiting IO) as I beat the hell out of it LOL!

I ordered one of those Segate 32MB 1TB drives for my torrent. I'm not so sure the WD's are performing as well with all the work I'm doing.

Still, I am uploading at over 450KB/s without hiccups.

Perhaps I'll package up what I have compiled as packages and seed them.

Those familiar with rtorrent can assist in a wiki page for setup.

I'm planning to have a pre-install script to add a user as rtorrent and group as torrents.

I think it's important to run this as non root.

Thoughts?

I wish I had enough Linux experience to give any intelligent thoughts. I'll have to just sit by and wait for something to release that I can play with. I understand the work behind the scenes and I can patiently wait for what you think is best.

I highly suggest start to read up on screen. You can in fact download that directly from the slackware packages site. (along with it's dependencies).

The only way to run rtorrent in the background is via screen.

Otherwise every time the machine is restarted, you will need to login and start rtorrent in a session.

Therefore it will either be at the console, or you will need to login via putty and leave the session open forever.

If anyone has other suggestions or tutorials on screen, please post.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...