SOLVED: No rebuild on replaced disk...

Hi all,

Just had a failed disk (Seagate 1.5tb) which I have replaced with a new drive (WD EARS 1.5tb - edit: jumpered over 7-8).

Edit: UnRAID version 4.5.1 (she's been shut down for a while! Gimme a break! :) )

There was some time between the old failure and the new drive acquisition - but it didn't really matter because the server has been shut down for a few months (no time to watch BluRay rips these days, and damn 12 HDD's make some noise!)

I initially "unassigned" the faulty drive (disk7) so I could access a few "crucial" files - while the array remained unprotected (*gasp!*)

I then replaced the drive, assigned the new drive to the same slot (disk7) and rebooted.

Was prompted to push Start ("Start will bring the array on-line, start Data-Rebuild, and then expand the file system (if possible)")

Pushed Start, and anticipated a loooong data rebuild... But instead, minimal disk activity, no data rebuild. The array is "Stopped", saying there is a new parity disk installed (but I never changed the parity drive!!), the new disk is orange balled (with temperature 0 degC), and I am asked to push Start again ("Start will bring the array on-line and start Parity-Sync")

Haven't proceeded with this, as it's not what I anticipated to face!!

I also haven't updated to latest UnRaid version (have downloaded, but want to sort out the rebuild first!)

I know my data is ok, because if I "unassign" the new disk7 again, I can still access the old disk7 data (rebuilt from other disks, I'm assuming).

Any clues as to what's happening here?? Should I just push on and start a new parity sync, even though there was NO data rebuild???

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Syslog-JP.txt

Hmmm... More reading = discovery of SMART

Via UnMenu, quick SMART test showed INVALID drive.

Reseated power/SATA cables and rebooted - now rebuilding.

Apologies... It appears I "posted prematurely".

JP

(I'll whack a SOLVED on this puppy...)