Removing one drive intentionally

I am stumpped as I have never done this before.

First, I have NO parity drive assigned (test rig). I Stopped the array and want to physically remove one 3TB drive (so I can give it to a friend who has (3) IBM BR10i's and will test it on his controllers so I can post there compatibility on the forum).

In either case though, I thought all I would have to do is select from the drop down "no device", once I did that the it turned red and states "Missing", I scrolled down and it states "Stopped: Invalid configuration"? So how does one go about remove a drive in my situation, without having to run a new config and reset the array disk configuration?

First, I have NO parity drive assigned (test rig). I Stopped the array and want to physically remove one 3TB drive (so I can give it to a friend who has (3) IBM BR10i's and will test it on his controllers so I can post there compatibility on the forum).

In either case though, I thought all I would have to do is select from the drop down "no device", once I did that the it turned red and states "Missing", I scrolled down and it states "Stopped: Invalid configuration"? So how does one go about remove a drive in my situation, without having to run a new config and reset the array disk configuration?

You need to reset the array disk configuration.

You need to reset the array disk configuration.

You mean you have to wipe the whole config and start again?  I was having the exact same question as Marburg. Will resetting the config wipe all your data (probably not I guess - you'd have to format the drive to wipe the data I suspect)?

@Madburg

It's a test rig? isn't it? no important data? and without a parity drive?

When you have a screen connected to the server

and login

at the root command line type ''initconfig''

this also can be done with Putty over a Telnet connection.

go back to main screen and you can assign the new drive, without that missing error for that 3 TB drive

all the other settings/appz/ stay the same

I've done this a few times, I had a array of 9.0 TB with parity

wanted to remove a 1.5TB drive

Archived