Tvheadend on unRAID - Step by Step Guide

Finally I managed to have this project completed and here is how I did it:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Tvheadend_in_unRAID

If someone would have a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 card, I can share the pretty much stripped down (really only the absolute necessary changes over the stock config) .config file I used to compile the customer kernel.

Since many XBMC users are around here and Tvheadend is a perfect TV backend for it, I hope you will find this useful.

• 1 month later...

Does TvHeadend have a nice grid based electronic program guide.   I am antenna only as a source and we watch on our 2 Ps3's.   So In essence I use PS3 Mediaserver mapped to the folder we record to using a Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner ATSC tuner in my server.

Any chance that unRAID has driver support for the Hauppauge card ? :)    As I was exploring perhaps Mythtv I came across this forum post for 2250 driver support.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9219191&postcount=212

Drivers and firmware links here:  http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=17

Kryspy

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I tried to make the TVHeadend Server running. I have also the Hauupauge  WINTV-NOVA-HD-S2.

After some Minor Issues in Typing I noticed and corrected I got the TVHeadend startet und running. But now the Problem rises.

I got the failure DEseq Setup failed -1

Then I got the failure something about the Frontend.

It is possible that you can help me with these Issues? I tried to got some information directly at TVHeadend but I'm a Linux noob so I didn't understand the half of it.

Furthermore the example for the hcw88bda.sys is not the one that I was used because the Release was changed to a newer one.

Thank you for the feedback, but it was not the only issue. After researching to the topic and finding the correct specs for the firmware i reinstaaled everything, but i got still the problems. I recompiled the correct firmware it worked somehow the fw was missing.

Now i have the issue that i can not get the recorded files with windows. Some problem with the rights mangement.

Well, this is a step-by-step guide.

It works just by copy-pasting the commands and doing the neccessary ammendments according to what tuner card you have. Since you have the same card as me, you can really just do the copy-pasting excercise without any thinking. I am doing the same when I need to reinstall for any reason. There is no typo, no corrections needed to the wiki instructions (not sure what you were referring to previously).

Also I don't really understand what is your status now. Are the live TV and also the recording working now, you just cannot read/watch the recordings?

Hello Olympia,

yes everything is working correct now.

You have just to minor typos one is for the start of the package in the go script installpkg you have written installpgk and for the start of the tvheadend in the go script you have written a -c and if you look in the tvheadend documentation it has to be -C. With this small changes I got the system run. than something went wrong to do the hardest part and make the fw file. This didn't work correctly the first time after a reboot of unraid, and a retry it worked.

The problem that I have right now are two things:

1) I can not access the recorded .mkv files wie my Win7 PC because of the defined rights of the file. (owner is user: root / Group: video)

2) I like to make a auto convertation of the .mkv file to an .avi / or .ts file to play it with my Media Clients that I have.

The TV Server is really great it runs also flawlessy with my android phone.

The first one 'installpgk' was indeed a typo, I corrected this. Thanks for pointing out.

The other one was not a typo, but a potential 'bug' in the command. I think I corrected this as well (I have a separate apps drive, that's why I didn't experience the issue).

The option '-C' is doing something different than '-c'.

I understand your permission issue now. Maybe you should try to run tvheadend in the name of the user (i don't have user level security, hence I am not experiencing this).

• 1 month later...

I tried installing tvheadend, compiled the kernel several times, but had no luck with my tv card (cine s2 http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Linux4Media_cineS2_DVB-S2_Twin_Tuner).

tvheadend is running and accessable via webinterface, but no tv cards show up. I copied the firmware file for my tv card to the /lib/firmware/ folder an packed the bzroot file, but when i execute the "lspci -vvvnn" command no kernel drivers show up for my tv card :( (runing Unraid b14)

Any suggestions here?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried installing tvheadend, compiled the kernel several times, but had no luck with my tv card (cine s2 http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Linux4Media_cineS2_DVB-S2_Twin_Tuner).

tvheadend is running and accessable via webinterface, but no tv cards show up. I copied the firmware file for my tv card to the /lib/firmware/ folder an packed the bzroot file, but when i execute the "lspci -vvvnn" command no kernel drivers show up for my tv card :( (runing Unraid b14)

Any suggestions here?

Gizmoh - I've tried following these instructions to compile tvheadend on 5.14b and can't seem to get tvheadend to compile. Seemed to create new bzimage and bzroot files with no error. The only thing I can't find is the "$ Enable Video For Linux API 1 (DEPRECATED)". I presumed this was just a change to the kernel?!

I was just wondering if you can confirm that all that is required is to substitute /usr/src/linux with /usr/src/linux-3.1.1-unRAID as required?! New to unRAID and very new to Linux!

Thanks for any help in advance!

I am very interested in running this on unraid. Anyway we can get a precompiled package created. Maybe something for unmenu? My TV tuner is a HVR 2200. Not sure how to get the drivers for it.

The main problem is not the unraid package. You have to enable the multimedia support in the kernel and add the specific drivers/firmware for your card.

@alxscott: I got the compiling working by disabling some checks/warnings during this process.

I am very interested in running this on unraid. Anyway we can get a precompiled package created. Maybe something for unmenu? My TV tuner is a HVR 2200. Not sure how to get the drivers for it.

The main problem is not the unraid package. You have to enable the multimedia support in the kernel and add the specific drivers/firmware for your card.

@alxscott: I got the compiling working by disabling some checks/warnings during this process.

Dont suppose you remember which arguments you used do you? :) Pretty much a noob at Linux and haven't been able to find anything on the TVHeadend site explaining how to disable checks when compiling the package...

A shoutout to anyone who wishes to help! Managed to compile TVHeadend with some pointers from Gizmoh ( Thanks Again!) However now all is working on that side my tuner isn't showing up!!

There's only 2 parts of the process which I'm not following verbatim:

1) as I'm using a Win Nova-T stick I'm using the dib700 firmware file downloaded directly ( no repackaging as in the tutorial). I know this works as this is the firmware used in a QPKG package which runs perfectly on my QNAP 210

The second part is in the kernel config the instructions state to "Enable Video for Linux API 1". Well I can't find this option anywhere and I just presumed it was just a difference between the instructions using an older Linux Kernel and me using 3.1.1 ( btw I'm running the latest unRAID beta 14")

Common sense says since these are the only bits I'm not compiling with as per the instructions this is where I'm going wrong, so any points by anyone who has got this working with the newer kernel please feel free to correct me! You can even call me stupid if it works!!

Alex

Ps Just thought... The instructions mention a "Extras" folder which doesn't seem to exist... Again I put this down to the instructions being for unRAID 4.7!

Sounds great :)

I still can't get my tv card working, if i check the devices with lspci no kernel modules or drivers are loaded :(

Couldn't get the command lspci working, but i compared the installation with my QNAP QPKG and there doesnt seem to be any modules for dvb-usb in our unRAID custom kernel?! On my QNAP the media/dvb folder contains all the same folders as my unRAID box, apart from one named "dvb-usb", in which the kernel module file for my tuner stick reside!

Any one any ideas?! Surly this means I / we are not compiling the custom kernel correctly right?

UPDATE:

Went through the DVB Kernel config and selected anything which looked like it would have anything to do with DVB USB sticks or my NOVA-T in general. Result is its now copied the modules over loaded them and TVHeadend is currently scanning for services. Going to recompile again and try and be slightly more selective!

For anyone trying to install TVHeadend with V5.14b, then these are the additional steps I took to get the usb-dvb modules loaded:

1) Select "Load and Attach frontend and tuner driver modules as needed

2) Under DVB/ATSC adapters I selected "Support for various USB DVB devices" as a modules, and under this selected the DiBcom 0700 device, as this is the generic driver required for my DVB-USB Stick. I also selected my device specifically as it was listed.

Hope that helps anyone.

Now, as always things never run perfectly... It seems not that my unRAID cant enter S£ sleep while TV Headend is running.... Kill the daemon and sleep works perfectly, have it running and the server just hangs. Anybody any suggestions for this!? It worked perfectly before....

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

For All users of TBS tuner here is ready image

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49442039/unraid5b14-tv.zip

Based on unRAID 5.0 b14 - only compiled driver from TBS and added with all firmware-s

Proof

Feb 29 18:05:16 unRAID kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'TBS Qbox DVB-S2 CI USB2.0' in cold state, will try to load a firmware

Feb 29 18:05:16 unRAID kernel: dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-tbsqbox-id5980.fw'

Feb 29 18:05:16 unRAID kernel: tbsqbox2ci: start downloading TBSQBOX2CI firmware

Feb 29 18:05:16 unRAID kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'TBS Qbox DVB-S2 CI USB2.0' in warm state.

Feb 29 18:05:16 unRAID kernel: dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.

Feb 29 18:05:16 unRAID kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (TBS Qbox DVB-S2 CI USB2.0)

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: dvb-usb: MAC address: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: tbsqbox2ci: Attached stv0903!

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel:

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: tbsqbox2ci: CI initialized.

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: tbsqbox2ci: CI disabled.

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (STV090x Multistandard)...

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: stb6100_attach: Attaching STB6100

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.1/usb1/1-6/input/input4

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 450 msecs.

Feb 29 18:05:17 unRAID kernel: dvb-usb: TBS Qbox DVB-S2 CI USB2.0 successfully initialized and connected.

8w.png

i have big problem ... all USB tuners work but not PCIE because is needed module cx23885

But in unraid .config from kernel is no possible turn ON this module :( - is no visible

(i think some other depends must be turn ON)

i check orginal .config from kernel and this module is there and is possibility turn on

94.png

Anybody know how this fix :( ?? or maybe can prepare for me .config with enable module cx23385

• 4 months later...

Has anyone done this recently?

I have used the bz files that piotrasd hosted a couple of posts above and now I am trying to compile Tvheadend as per the Wiki.  It compiled but the static content files for hosting the webgui are missing.  I have read into this and it sounds like the way you compile it is different, you have to either change the configure or make command to build a bundle.  I am trying to do this now but not having the best of luck.