unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta11 Available

Download | Release Notes

EDIT: there is a bug that can cause a crash.  If you set the "Min. free space" field of Cache Settings to "blank", internal code can crash.  Workaround is this: if you intend to have no Min. free space setting, instead of blank, put a zero in there (the character '0').  This will be fixed in -beta11a.

This release includes the latest "2.0.0" version of netatalk - let's see if this solves some of the issues with Lion.

Also, this release uses the last really stable version (for unRaid) of the linux kernel: 2.6.37.6.  Something changed in the kernel starting with 2.6.38/39 which causes a throttling of I/O to hard drives as soon as you get beyond 6 hard drives accessing in parallel.  Eventually I'll figure this out.

Finally this release includes a plugin installer, and there is a wiki page devoted to listing available plugins: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Plugins

There is still work to be done to make plugin installation easier.  I will be starting a discussion of this over on the Plugin Design board: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?board=24.0

The first plugin I've published is for "slimserver", a.k.a., "Squeezebox Server".  There are a couple of reasons why this is the first plugin.  First is that it is fairly complex and uses all of the current features of the plugin installer.  Second, my wife uses a Sqeezebox Duet to play back music at home and since upgrading the home server to 5.0 she has been asking, "where is my music??".

To install this plugin go to the Plugin page above, right-click the plugin file link and select "copy link location".  Next fire up a telnet session to your server and navigate to the "/boot/config" directory.  Create a directory there called 'plugins', cd into that directory, then type wget and right-click the mouse - it should result in completing the command with the link you copied.  Or else here's the command:

wget http://lime-technology.com/wiki/images/b/b5/Slimserver-7.6.0-noarch-1lt.plg

Now you should re-boot your server (after also installing 5.0-beta11) and the plugin should be automatically installed (actually, you don't need to reboot - just type "installplg /boot/config/plugins/slimserver-7.6.0-noarch-1lt.plg).

Once server comes up, start array and go to the 'Settings' page and you should see a nice 'slimserver' icon alongside the other Network Services.  For this plugin, you have to explicitly "enable" it (much like enabling, e.g., AFP).  You also have the opportunity to choose a persistent directory to use for install so that your music database doesn't have to be rebuilt every time you reboot.  There is documentation in the plugin file itself (soon to be on the wiki).

One thing I have noticed: after slimserver has built the database for the first time, you have to "disable" it and "enable" it again in order for the Squeezebox Server page to display your music - not sure why this is necessary.

Well I know this is not great documentation on using plugins, but that is what I'm working on now and I didn't want to delay -beta11 any further.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tom!!

Very cool to see the plugin installer. Will definitely help the unRAID platform as more users build systems running unRAID and as more plugins are developed by the community.

Will install this beta when I get home.

J

There have been plugins available for a long time using the excellent unMenu package developed by Joe L., BubbaQ, bjp999, RobJ, and others, and I "borrowed" many ideas from that work; and it will be awhile before equivalent functionality is reached.

Thanks Tom!!

Very cool to see the plugin installer. Will definitely help the unRAID platform as more users build systems running unRAID and as more plugins are developed by the community.

Will install this beta when I get home.

J

There have been plugins available for a long time using the excellent unMenu package developed by Joe L., BubbaQ, bjp999, RobJ, and others, and I "borrowed" many ideas from that work; and it will be awhile before equivalent functionality is reached.

Nice to see a framework for plugins.  Use of XML for the plugin definition will work. 

Thanks for the compliment.  It took me quite a while to get the unMENU package manager to where it is today.  I expected you might be able to leverage a bit of how it was designed for your own work.  The needs will be the same, regardless of how it is implemented.

I might also expect unMENU's package manager to be eventually obsolete...  ;)  (and unMENU too if enough plugins are available, but that is OK too... it will have served its purpose.)

Joe L.

Just so I am clear.  Plugin's are installed from the command line prompt? I don't see any changes in the GUI.

Thanks

Ed

There is a plugin configuration file that you download from a repository (the wiki for now).  This file has a ".plg" extension.  You place this file on your flash in the "config/plugins" directory (you have to create the "plugins" subdirectory).  Thereafter, it will be "automatically" installed every reboot.

The plugin installer is just one piece of the puzzle.  Coming next is a plugin manager which will have a tab on the Main page and will list all the plugins you have installed, as well as all the ones available, along with buttons to download plugins etc. (something like FireFox extension manager).  The plugin manager itself will be a plugin  ;)

Edit: I should add: most plugins will be able to be "installed" regardless of the state of the server, that is, whether it's Stopped/Started, etc.  Some will need to be installed only upon system boot.  The 'slimserver' plugin can be installed any time.

Can I suggest using a GitHub repository to host the packages, so that people can easily modify/create/share their own, which can then easily be folded into the official repository? Also downloading and updating of the repository and installation of packages should happen entirely via the web interface :)

One problem with unMENU that I'd like to see improved with unRAID's official package system is that many of the packages are still relying on older slackware packages (not the 13.1 that unRAID is built on). Will the official system allow the package repository to handle different versions of unRAID (obviously 5.0beta11 plus, not legacy versions)?

Cheers.

I've got a "new behavior" kernel crash, does it belong here? I was run removepkg against an add on, which is why I'm asking.  

I don't have the full trace, but I can snap a pic of the screen as it's sitting.

Pic of the screen is attached.  I was running removepkg against the sysstat plugin.  I'd done that a bunch of times in beta10 with out this happening.  This is why I says it's a "new behavior".

Al

crash.jpg.799e899b2f738aea8a8cf4daed6ce3b9.jpg

How do you stop the array with the slimserver plugin installed? The array is not stopping for me it just hangs.

Reed

Do you have a telnet window open (or the console) where you might have 'cd'ed into a directory on the disk array, e.g., '/mnt/disk1' or '/mnt/user/music', etc?  If not, please post system log.

How do you stop the array with the slimserver plugin installed? The array is not stopping for me it just hangs.

Reed

Do you have a telnet window open (or the console) where you might have 'cd'ed into a directory on the disk array, e.g., '/mnt/disk1' or '/mnt/user/music', etc?  If not, please post system log.

Good call! I had too many windows open and forgot. Did a lot of tail chasing on this one! All is good. Thanks

Reed

Very limited success ratio mounting bluray isos through user shares over network (smb) to windows boxes using slysoft virtual clone drive 5450.  

If successful disk will mount normally.  If unsuccessful vcd will display "can't mount p:\03  video\1  movies BLURAY\movietitle.iso!" where 'p' is mapped user share.  Same iso can mount today, not mount 10min from now and vice versa.  Navigating again to same iso but instead of user shares direct to diskxx is successful.  Copying isos to local hard drive then mounting is successful.

First noticed in 5.0beta10 before that running 4.7 final without issue

- navigating to same problem isos directly through network \\NORCO\disk8\ALL\03  video\1  movies BLURAY\movietitle.iso = 100% successful

- mapping above (\\NORCO\disk8\ALL\03  video\1  movies BLURAY\movietitle.iso) = 100% successful

- navigating to problem isos in network user share produces error "can't mount \\norco\all\03  video\1  movies BLURAY\movietitle.iso!"

- rerun 'new permissions' in unraid setting = no change

- regressed to vcd 5443, 5440 = no change

- accessing through another windows box = no change

- regressed unraid to 5.0beta9 = 100% successful

- updated to 5.0beta11 = no change

update 08/31/11                 -- SOLVED --

5.0beta12 = no change

creating user with password, mapping with same credentials = 100% successful

- previously was mapping under root without password.

- 5.0beta9 did not have these requirements