Crash and shutdown

Server keeps crashing, is completely turned off when I discover it this way so no logs. It was once a month the last one occurred within a week of the previous crash now. My hardware is below:

Motherboard:

JetWay JHZ03-GT-V2-LF AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Case:

AZZA Helios 910 Black Japanese SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

4 Drives:

1 - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

2 - HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Cache - older Hitachi 360GB

Power Supply:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU:

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor SDX140HBGQBOX

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT

Flashdrive:

SanDisk Cruzer Blade 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model SDCZ50-004G-B35

Unraid:

Version 4.7

Installed Packages:

bwm-ng - Bandwidth Monitor NG (Next Generation), a live bandwidth monitor

mail and ssmtp - Configure unRAID to be able to send e-mail notifications via the "mail" command.

unRAID Status Alert sent hourly by e-mail

Monthly Parity Check

screen (screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation)

I do have it setup to forward me alerts if any drives get overheated and never received any alerts, server sees relatively light use right now.

Few questions:

1) Despite heavy searching I cannot find a way to automate the copy of the syslog every X hours to some place else so I can hopefully capture it failing. Does this not exist? Is the tail command only way to see the last few lines croaked out by the server?

2) I see memtest on the flash drive but how do I start it up and test the memory. Does the server need to be offline to test the memory? How long should I test the memory 24 hours minimum? If you are going to give me commands to start it using putty I need noob friendly commands =)

3) I included the last syslog I copied after it crashed last time and I got it back up after parity check. Anything in there suspicious?

4) I plan on pulling out one of the mem sticks and testing for awhile and see if it crashes if it does will put the other one in and take the old one out and try again.

5) What else should I be doing to try to track this down?

Thanks for listening.

syslog-2011-08-17.txt

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the crashing problems.

I am pretty new at this but I can answer number 2.

During the boot up process memtest is a selectable option. This can be seen only at the local screen during boot up. If you watch the boot up you see two options, one is start unRaid and the other memtest. Select memtest. This will run until you stop it. Most people suggest running it over night. Your unRaid server will be off line during this test.

Hope that helps,

Jim S.

• 2 weeks later...

Another crash, this time I have been checking the syslog every day and night for unusual entries and had some errors. But searching on google for these doesn't seem to yield any definitive results.

If someone in the know can look though and tell me if these point to anything I'd appreciate it. I blocked the section in question it's near the bottom of the syslog. This syslog was taken this morning, when I got back home at night the server was as usual completely shutdown and off.

Thanks!

syslog-2011-09-02.txt

Does it still send info to the telnet screen when the main computer I am running putty on goes to sleep?

I did discover the bios timings for the ram were set by the bios to 7-7-7-24 when the ram is rated for 9-9-9-24. I fixed that and ran memtest for 24 hours with no errors, possible source of the crash and shutdown? At any rate that is fixed now, we shall see.