[Resolved] New build won't start up

whiteatom

Hi there....

I know this isn't really what these forums are for, but Supermicro is blaming Corsair, and Corsair is blaming Supermicro and I don't know which part to RMA... here's my story.

Put together my new system:

MB: Supermicro X9SCM-F

CPU: i3-2100

RAM: Kingston DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (2x 2Gigs)

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX-600

Case: Azza Helios 910

Plugged it all in and fired it up came on, but no video - no beeps, no nothing.

Removed the ram and PCI card and tried again - now it comes on for a fraction of a second (not long enough for the fans to spin up), the yellow LE3 light on the mono (not described in the manual) comes on, and then the system turns off. 3 seconds later, it does it again.. and then once more, then nothing.

I tripple checked that the mobo wasn't grounding to the case, and I even took the entire thing out and put it on my bench. Now I have the Mobo, CPU, and heatsink sitting on my desk with the PSU connected, and power button connected and it's doing the same thing.

Thoughts? Anyone seen this before?

Cheers,

whiteatom

I've seen this happen when the RAM wasn't seated properly.  Try reseating the RAM.

That was the first thought of the Supermicro tech support guy. No RAM in the system and it still does it. Right now I have the PSU and the motherboard with the CPU installed sitting on my desk - nothing else - and it won't turn on long enough to even beep. I'm gonna RMA something.. i'm just not sure whether it's the mobo or the PSU.

Maybe I'll see if Newegg will take them both back.

Cheers

try 1 ram in slot 1, then swap them out.

also try it with no ram. see if it is a different error.

I have seen that a few times on supermicro boards,usually it is bad/incompatible ram.

I assume the CPU is seated correctly.. that's hard to mess up. unless there is a bent pin.

i had similar resuls when i put an I5 on this board just to see if it blows up.. err boots.

As far as the PSU. I am not familiar with that model.. but I use corsair Power supplies on mine.

one TX750 and one TX650. one V1 and one V2.

make sure you have the 24 and the 8 pin in the correct slots on the PS and the Mobo.

Make sure you don't have the video PCIe plugs in the CPU power socket.

If you leave it sit for a bit plugged in and powered off. does the IPMI heartbeat light come on?

I tried no RAM, cpu in, out.. everything - all result in the same on for a fraction of a second.. then off again.

I for sure have the correct power plugs - it uses the additional 8-pin connector, so the PCI-e one won't even fit. The Green standby LED comes on, and the IPMI light does come on after a bit if I don't push the power button. None of the pins on the CPU look bent, and I have reseated it a few times.. When I do turn it on, the yellow LE3 LED blinks on and then fades.. it's right between the stand-by and the power led on the mobo, but it's not mentioned in the manual.

You saw this error with the wrong CPU???  Has anyone had an i3-2100 working on this board? maybe that's it. Newegg says they will RMA both the PSU and the Mobo.... so I guess I just have to wait another week before I get my system up and running :(

You saw this error with the wrong CPU???  Has anyone had an i3-2100 working on this board? maybe that's it. Newegg says they will RMA both the PSU and the Mobo.... so I guess I just have to wait another week before I get my system up and running :(

Yes. I have 1 with an I3-2100, one with an E3-1220 and one with an E3-1240.

someone else on the forum has an I3-2100t

the wrong CPU did not have the yellow light. it just started fans for 1/2 a second and stopped.

let me look at the book that came with mine. see if i can find any error indications for this light.

Well.. I found the LE3 LED. there is no mention of it in the manual or online PDF.

with supermicro, unlisted LED's, Jumpers snf headers are for factory testing.

I would try two more things. unplug all the front panel connectors with the exception of the power button. see what happens. if that is the same, i would plug one of the front LEDs (power or hdd) into the "power fail" led indicator. see if LE3 is the same.

reset the cmos (JBT1)  also make sure VGA jumper is enabled (JPG1).

I have a strange feeling you could connect VIA ipmi while idol. but i don't think you can do much more then reset  intrusion switch at this point.

did you email supermicro asd ask @#$@# is LE3 and why is it blowing up?

between home and work I have have built over 30 servers with this board. not one has failed me.

Well.. I found the LE3 LED. there is no mention of it in the manual or online PDF.

with supermicro, unlisted LED's, Jumpers snf headers are for factory testing.

I would try two more things. unplug all the front panel connectors with the exception of the power button. see what happens. if that is the same, i would plug one of the front LEDs (power or hdd) into the "power fail" led indicator. see if LE3 is the same.

reset the cmos (JBT1)  also make sure VGA jumper is enabled (JPG1).

I have a strange feeling you could connect VIA ipmi while idol. but i don't think you can do much more then reset  intrusion switch at this point.

did you email supermicro asd ask @#$@# is LE3 and why is it blowing up?

between home and work I have have built over 30 servers with this board. not one has failed me.

Ok.. I also noticed no mention of the LE3 LED anywhere... I figure it's a diagnostic LED, but i have no idea what it means.

1) New mobo and PSU, no cpu - same problem..

2) cpu installed - same problem

3) VGA disable or enabled - same problem

4) Cmos reset - same problem

The Power Fail indicator seems to be a single pin in a different connector??

The IPMI light comes on after a min or so, but when I press the power button it resets itself (off and then a min later comes back on)

Should the mobo beep with no CPU or is this kind of immediate shut down expected?

Is the CPU bad??

GRRRR

I'm seriously running out of ideas. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks for your input so far..

whiteatom

try 1 ram in slot 1, then swap them out.

Have you tried just one stick of ram and then the other?

Josh

tried each stick in every slot with no better success...

I have discovered something new... When I have the case fans plugged in (to a molex connector, not to a Mobo fan header) the system tried to start every 3 seconds over and over. If I have the case fans disconnected, the system only tries to start once. Is this a PSU problem? Did I get a second bad PSU???

One other thing.. I ordered this ram (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139040) and I got the same model num, but i a low profile format. Is there any chance that makes a difference??

whiteatom

And it was.. Corsair 600CX doesn't work with this motherboard. I bought 2 PSU's from a B&M shop today, a Corsair 600CX and a Thermaltake TR2 600. The Corsair was first - same problem. Then I tried the Thermaltake and it booted first try.

Also.. It seems to take a long time to post.. is this normal for this board?

Thanks for all the suggestions - you guys saved me on this one.

Cheers,

whiteatom

Good deal,

face palm time...

so the CX-600 s not only over rated for wattage, it is not SSI compliant?

Hard way to find that out. I'm glad you got that over with. I was starting to feel bad for you.

maybe the B&M will let you trade that CX for a TX? The TX do work fine on those boards.

define long time to post.

i never timed mine, but it feels about on par with most most other boards from power to start of boot..

but i have 2 HBA's and lot of drives on staggerd spin up those add time to my build..

I found your problem.

It was right in front of me, I just didnt read the specs until i replied to another post.

The best i can tell with the CX series, it is an entry level PSU for desktops. it is a ATX12V and not a EPS12V PSU. I was not aware that Corsair had gone back to non EPS12V PSUs. Most of their PSU's are dual listed as ATX12V/EPS12V.  I guess to cut costs, this is one feature many people don't need.

EPS12V is a special, non-ATX standard adopted by the Server System Infrastructure (SSI) group to provide a more powerful and stable environment for critical server-based systems and applications. SSI is listed as a requirement in the supermicro manual.

This is also a known requirement with the Tyan/Asus serverboards also.

You had said:

Hi there....

I know this isn't really what these forums are for, but Supermicro is blaming Corsair, and Corsair is blaming Supermicro and I don't know which part to RMA...

supermicro was correct.. but they should have said why..

PS. how is it running?

Returned the thermaltake as well.. Ended up getting a Seasonic x650 and the case is tidier, quieter and boots properly.. me = happy.

I had no idea about the SSI rating issue.. but I do see it in the specs now - and as you said, the CS650 is not ESP12V. Good to know...

One last thing... thank god for Newegg being so accommodating as I resolved my issue. They took both the cx650's and a motherboard back as defective without any hassle... and since I bought my replacements from them, they even paid for the return shipping. Used to shop around to NCIX and Tigerdirect.. but no more, Newegg has earned a lifetime customer on this issue.

whiteatom

• 2 years later...

I'm having this same issue.  I ordered a new MOBO this morning from Newegg but now am not sure if that is the issue.

The first time I booted, I had one controller that failed to detect the port but unraid booted.  I then shut it down and have had no luck ever since.

I've removed the battery from the MOBO, switched the RAM to all possible configurations, removed the PCI cards, unplugged all fans.  I get no beeps and nothing on the screen.

The first time I turn it on, the fans stay running but I get nothing else.  If you turn it off and try turning it on again, the fans will turn on and then shut down a few seconds later.  They will then start back up again and shut down and repeat that process.

My power supply is this:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E98I0G/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1  It is a Corsair TSX650M.  I'm now worried that it might be PSU related.  Can anyone help?

Not enough details to say for sure, but since you've already got a new motherboard enroute, wait and see if that's the issue.

As you can already tell by this thread, the C series Corsairs are problematic; but the TX series are generally okay (I only use HX or AX units when using Corsair).

The best way to confirm whether or not it's the PSU is to try another high-quality unit and see if that resolves the issue.  But I'd wait and try the replacement motherboard before buying another power supply [Although it certainly doesn't hurt to have a high-quality spare PSU around for testing things just like this ... I keep a Seasonic X series for that purpose].