unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta12 Available

Updated from beta10 today and directly reverted back.

I am having massive speed issues, writing data to the array dropped from, not really good 25MB/s, to unuseable 3MB/s.

I think that could be an issue with the Realtek Nic again.

This is a completely useless post without a system log.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep seeing issues with the r8169 driver..  Any suggestions.

The message "NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out" shows up quite a bit in a google search, for example, see this thread:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=538920

If you read through the thread there are few kernel parameters you can pass to try out.  Also, make sure your motherboard has latest bios for it.

Having a slight issue with a disk not showing up in the dropdown list under 5.0b12.

Attach your syslog. It includes the device inventory that unRAID sees.

Sorry about that, forgot to attach it to another post, the pictures in the first one took up all the allowed 192KB worth of space.

Anyway, syslog is attached now.  The unRAID machine sees the drive just fine, but you can see from a "grep sdx" that emhttp is complaining about there being "too many devices"

root@Darryl_Jacksons_Tower:~# cat /boot/syslog.txt | grep sdx
Aug 26 11:38:59 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower kernel: sd 10:0:7:0: [sdx] 3907029168 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.81 TiB)
Aug 26 11:38:59 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower kernel: sd 10:0:7:0: [sdx] Write Protect is off
Aug 26 11:38:59 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower kernel: sd 10:0:7:0: [sdx] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
Aug 26 11:38:59 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower kernel: sd 10:0:7:0: [sdx] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Aug 26 11:38:59 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower kernel:  sdx: sdx1
Aug 26 11:38:59 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower kernel: sd 10:0:7:0: [sdx] Attached SCSI disk
Aug 26 11:38:59 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower emhttp: too many devices to add ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.0/0000:02:00.0/host10/port-10:7/end_device-10:7/target10:0:7/10:0:7:0/block/sdx 
Aug 26 11:40:13 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower emhttp: too many devices to add ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.0/0000:02:00.0/host10/port-10:7/end_device-10:7/target10:0:7/10:0:7:0/block/sdx 
Aug 26 11:40:15 Darryl_Jacksons_Tower emhttp: too many devices to add ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.0/0000:02:00.0/host10/port-10:7/end_device-10:7/target10:0:7/10:0:7:0/block/sdx 

How many total number of disks are connected to your system, both hard disks and any usb storage devices (including your flash).  If you had attached your entire system log, I would not have had to ask this question.

Having a slight issue with a disk not showing up in the dropdown list under 5.0b12.

Sorry about that, forgot to attach it to another post, the pictures in the first one took up all the allowed 192KB worth of space.

Anyway, syslog is attached now. 

I do not see your syslog attached anywhere. Make sure it's your entire syslog, so zip it up if need be.

I'm currently on beta 9, but I think I'm going to try beta 12.

I had issues with early 5.0 builds, so I picked up the Intel card. Then, I was having issues with speeding_ant's launchd script to WOL and mount my server's drives. So, I switched back to the built-in ethernet port (Realtek RTL8111C - 10/100/1000 Controller) and didn't have the slow speed/frozen network issues again.

So, are people experiencing issues with all 8111x NICs, or just certain ones -- like 8111E?

I do not see your syslog attached anywhere. Make sure it's your entire syslog, so zip it up if need be.

Yeah, that was actually my fault.  I was helping preproman out with this issue and copied the syslog to the flash drive and then completely failed to attach it to the post.

I know he has al 24 slots full on a 4224 case but I am not sure if he has any drives hanging off the system via USB.  I don't think he does, but I am not 100% sure about that.

7.  Accessed test file on my TViX M6500a

8.  It stuttered immediately, like before.

I've downgraded to b9 again.  Test file plays like a charm.  

Thanks, and let me know if you need anything more or want me to try something else.

Y

I also have a Tvix 6500, what firmware do you have ? and what is the info (media info) of the test-file?

EDIT

I do have issue with stuttering, but it looks like is a issue with latest MKV file (MKVToolnix/mkvmerge 4.2.0)

//Peter

Hi Peter,

TViX firmware is Kalimergo's 2.1.60 (a modified TViX 1.5.16), which has been very solid.  The test file is a DVD (not BD) backup of Bringing Up Baby ripped via CloneDVD to DVD File output.  The file has always played fine except with the last 3 betas.  The only thing that has changed in the system is the unRAID firmware.

Thanks,

Y

Try this version -> http://tvix.yakumo.se/files/fw_badeip/1.5-Series/BadEIP_M-6x00_1.5.16-Seres_unlocked+NOBDTrail_R1.fwp

My "test" file is flawless on my server (NFS)

Format : BDAV

Format/Info : Blu-ray Video

File size : 191 MiB

Duration : 35s 280ms

Overall bit rate : 45.4 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Thanks, Peter (seems I've said that a lot to you over the years).  I'll post results here but any questions non unRAID-related, I'll PM you.

Y

I got nervous and figured the best thing to do would be to start from scratch with the flash stick.  I moved everything off and installed b12 as if it was a brand new stick.  It's working now and building the initial parity.  Not sure what was holding it up.

Getting sabnzbd and sickbeard set up again is going to be a pain, but at least I can get to my files again.

Yeah, that was actually my fault.  I was helping preproman out with this issue and copied the syslog to the flash drive and then completely failed to attach it to the post.

I know he has al 24 slots full on a 4224 case but I am not sure if he has any drives hanging off the system via USB.  I don't think he does, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Yes I have all 20 data drives activated plus parity and cache also the boot USB dive.

The syslog is way to big to attach.  How else can I attach it?

Yes I have all 20 data drives activated plus parity and cache also the boot USB dive.

The syslog is way to big to attach.  How else can I attach it?

Attached you should find the syslog.

syslog_5.0-beta12_-2011-08-28.txt.zip

Speed test parity check:

with Beta-10 (as posted previously):

Aug  9 13:07:09 unraid kernel: md: sync done. time=48609sec

Aug  9 13:07:09 unraid kernel: md: recovery thread sync completion status: 0

with Beta-12:

Aug 29 06:04:10 unraid kernel: md: sync done. time=43557sec

Aug 29 06:04:10 unraid kernel: md: recovery thread sync completion status: 0

Both cases - 10 drives system with 3TB Hitachi Green Parity disk.

Just upgraded to 5.0 for the first time (b12) and I am assuming that if I am to use 3TB drives, I should set the DEFAULT PARTITION FORMAT to MBR: 4K-ALIGNED (under the SETTINGS->DISK SETTINGS page), yes?  It was set to MBR: UNALIGNED.

All of my 2TB drives have had the jumper installed so I never really dealt with this in 4.7.

Also, I noticed a few postings about parity rebuild speeds.  Upon first start up of array, the existing parity was continued over from 4.7.  Should I check parity?

Just upgraded to 5.0 for the first time (b12) and I am assuming that if I am to use 3TB drives, I should set the DEFAULT PARTITION FORMAT to MBR: 4K-ALIGNED (under the SETTINGS->DISK SETTINGS page), yes?

All of my 2TB drives have had the jumper installed so I never really dealt with this in 4.7.

Just set it to 4K-aligned and any new drives added will be fine.  Do not mess with the other drives and do not install jumpers on any WD drives from now on.

Just set it to 4K-aligned and any new drives added will be fine.  Do not mess with the other drives and do not install jumpers on any WD drives from now on.

Thanks.  Did that already as I assumed that's the correct setting for future 3TB.

And yes, won't touch the existing drives as I know exactly the ramifications of removing jumpers!

Added a new user on the USERS tab, clicked ADD, then DONE, but the newly added user doesn't show up on the list; just the original default "root".

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

I already performed the PERMISSIONS utility before attempting to re-add my users.

EDIT: The Syslog shows the user name as invalid:

Aug 29 08:21:19 UnRAID emhttp: shcmd (153): useradd -g users -d / -s /bin/false -c 'Admin' XXX |& logger

Aug 29 08:21:19 UnRAID logger: useradd: invalid user name 'XXX'

Aug 29 08:21:19 UnRAID emhttp: shcmd (154): chpasswd <<< XXX:"*****"

Aug 29 08:21:19 UnRAID emhttp: _shcmd: shcmd (154): exit status: 1

Aug 29 08:21:19 UnRAID emhttp: shcmd (155): smbpasswd -L -s -a XXX <<< "*****"$'\n'"*****"

Aug 29 08:21:19 UnRAID emhttp: _shcmd: shcmd (155): exit status: 1

Aug 29 08:21:19 UnRAID emhttp: shcmd (156): cp /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd /boot/config

XXX replaces actual three letter user name that I was attempting to create.  This same user name was created under 4.x with no issues.

I added a different 3 letter user name and unRAID accepted that new user and lists it under the USERS.  Strange.

RESOLUTION: unRAID user names are case-sensitive and does NOT allow any uppercase.  Using all lowercase it accepted the problematic user name.

I tried AFP access for the first time via Snow Leopard's sidebar and was able to "log in" and was presented with all the available shares/drives.  I then clicked on CONNECT AS... to try to access unRAID via a different set of user credentials, and since then have been unable to "log in" nor access the unRAID via AFP in any way.

Performed a reboot from the web menu and...

Couldn't access the unRAID web page.  Checking on the remote monitor the machine is booted and is presenting the unRAID login prompt.  I type in the "powerdown" command (the usual "reboot" command is not present as it was in 4.7) in order to do a "cold start."

Powering it back up and watching the monitor, it goes through the normal boot process, loads bzimage, loads bzroot, etc, then the unRAID login prompt.  But still no access to the web page.  I then try accessing unMENU and it works just fine (thankfully I had it installed under 4.7).  But trying to access the unRAID Main via unMENU also leads to the spinning busy wheel.

And I still can't access unRAID via AFP any longer.

EDIT:  After what seemed like 5 minutes of letting OS X Finder continue connecting to unRAID via the Sidebar, it eventually got through as GUEST.

EDIT:  And after stepping away for a couple hours then coming back, I can now finally access the unRAID web menu.

syslog-2011-08-29.txt

Thanks for the help... eth0 Realtek driver problems are gone with the kernel parameter.  I did add manually at boot to menu loader and just wanted to confirm for permanent boot that adding to the syslinux.cfg on the same line or a separate line is correct for UnRAID.

One Line

default menu.c32

menu title Lime Technology LLC

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot pcie_aspm=off

label Memtest86+

kernel memtest

Two Line

default menu.c32

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot

append pcie_aspm=off

label Memtest86+

kernel memtest

Thanks for the help... eth0 Realtek driver problems are gone with the kernel parameter.

That's great to hear!  Maybe a few more people can report success using this workaround as well.

I did add manually at boot to menu loader and just wanted to confirm for permanent boot that adding to the syslinux.cfg on the same line or a separate line is correct for UnRAID.

One Line

default menu.c32

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot pcie_aspm=off

label Memtest86+

kernel memtest

Two Line

default menu.c32

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot

append pcie_aspm=off

label Memtest86+

kernel memtest

I think that should work.  After system is booted you can see what command line was passed to the kernel using this command:

cat /proc/cmdline

Just upgraded to b12 from 4.7.  all seemed to be going well, parity was there, all drives present, array started.

I added sickbeard, sab, a couple of other plugins.  I set afp on, set the disk permissions (ran the script to change them).

I was watch a show through SMBd.  It stopped, and the unraid box started spiraling out of control with load--it was up to 18 or 20 sustained.  it wasnt cpu, and i couldnt stop the array.  I tried killing off all non-essential processes, tried stopping the array, nothing worked.  I had to manually restart.

On restart it shows : array starting and unraidd and mdrecoveryd are using about 20% cpu each.  It's been going for about 20 minutes now.  Is there a hope this thing is going to start or should I try rolling back 4.7 and doing a parity check?

http://notbusy.com/syslog - thats all it wrote before i decided to restart.  help?

http://notbusy.com/a/pictures/d/HBO_Main-20110829-204624.jpg

Try this version -> http://tvix.yakumo.se/files/fw_badeip/1.5-Series/BadEIP_M-6x00_1.5.16-Seres_unlocked+NOBDTrail_R1.fwp

My "test" file is flawless on my server (NFS)

Format : BDAV

Format/Info : Blu-ray Video

File size : 191 MiB

Duration : 35s 280ms

Overall bit rate : 45.4 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Thanks, Peter (seems I've said that a lot to you over the years).  I'll post results here but any questions non unRAID-related, I'll PM you.

Y

Did not help with unRAID problem; test file still stutters with b12.  Thanks anyway.

Y

preproman are you seeing what I saw in beta 10?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14158.msg138076#msg138076

It looks like that last disk, depending on disk assignment, pushes the already assigned disk out of the array.  

Tom, I attached a syslog on that post if you want to see what was happening on my box.  I have not fixed this and I currently have my 24th drive (which I'd like to mount outside of the array) hanging out of my machine because if I power it on, it will push my hitachi out of the array therefore screwing it up.