Python 2.7?

splnut

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you tried installing the Python 2.7 package from Alien for Slackware located here: http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/calibre/build/

It looks like he has it for Slackware 13.1 and 13.37 which should work with the more recent 5.x beta series of unraid.

Thanks for the reply Brit, did come across that while searching, however, I'm still on unraid 4.7. Any options for me?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Would I be able to install it without clobbering my sickbeard, sab and couchpotato installs which are using python 2.6.4?

The reason I ask is I am trying to get an app to work on unraid, Lazy Librarian, a sickbeard-type app for e-books.  I am able to install it and have it run but that is all it does, run and show up on a webgui.  After reading up on it over at github and the sab forums it seems it needs python 2.7 to fully work.

It is unknown the impact of trying to move to Python 2.7.

I toyed around a bit with the slackbuild for Python 2.7 from bitbucket nihilismus [ https://bitbucket.org/nihilismus/slackbuilds/src/6d7d2617d0b6/python/ ] and I needed to refine one of the patch/diff files as there were some breaking changes in the 2.7.x tree against it. It's only needed for patching lib to lib64 since I'm running on x86_64 platform instead of the 32bit platform.

After that little bump, I was able to get it to patch and fully build using "./python.Slackbuild". I have not installed it the resulting artifacts, as I'd be required to then re-install all the multitude of Python addons and plugins. I simply don't have the time to do that now.

• 3 months later...

no updates on this? I just need 2.7, I would specifically not like 3.x because there are far too many new changes for software to work with it ATM.

I can install it no problem I'm sure. the problem would be on a reboot (which should only happen maybe once a month, but will happen nonetheless)

I can install it no problem I'm sure. the problem would be on a reboot (which should only happen maybe once a month, but will happen nonetheless)

Just recreate the steps you use to install it in a script and run the script from the go file. That's what the plugins do. Just make sure your script doesn't try to write to the array before it is fully started.

• 2 weeks later...

My plug-ins install Python 2.6.6, for those that are wanting the package, you can get it here:

http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware//slackware-current/slackware/d/python-2.7.3-i486-2.txz

That package is for the current build of slackware, but I tested and it seems to work well with 13.1 as well.

EDIT: I'll probably update my plug-ins to python 2.7.3 as well, I try not to update packages too much because others may use the same version to stop clobbering, and updating can fubar that pretty quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried to install the aforementioned python 2.7.3 package by modifying the sabnzbd plg file (changed the md5 checksum, etc) but sabnzbd refuses to start either by using the web interface or the rc script. I get "The Python module Cheetah is required"  error.

Perhaps we need a newer version of cheetah for 2.7.3? Here is the one in the sab plg file http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/python-cheetah/pkg/13.37/python-cheetah-2.4.4-i486-1alien.tgz.

Btw using Influencer's awesome plgs.

Thanks

Try a restart with your modification. It's possible that the cheetah install symlinks to whatever version of python is installed so if you install a different version it doesnt have the link. Before you do this disable the plugin first so it doesn't fail and cause the server to not come online (just in case the symlink isn't the issue)