Problems with Silicon 3114 SATA 4 port card, Please help

rpf717

I have just built a new system with a Asus P5B-VM DO and have filled all 6 of the included SATA ports on the board.  So I bought a SATA card that was listed on this site that seems like its one that everyone uses. 

Its the Silicon Sata 3114 card.  I just installed a new 1tb "green power" WD drive to it and upon booting my server I get the following message:

"SiI 3114 STATRaid BIOS Version 5.0.39

Copyright © 1997-2004 Silicon Image, Inc.

Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility

0    WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0"

It then freezes no matter what I push (other than Ctrl-Alt-Dlt).  I won't even let me go to the regular bios either because it goes to that message first!  Any ideas?  I'm confused though, because I don't want it to be a RAID card, right?  I just want an extra 4 SATA ports.

I chose this card because it was cheap and seemed to be a common one that was used.   

Please help!

Thanks in advance!!!

The Silicon Image cards tend to come with the RAID BIOS.  You have to go to the Silicon Image web site, and locate the firmware or BIOS updates for your card, and download the latest non-RAID BIOS.  You may also want a firmware flashing utility, depending on how you want to flash the BIOS.  If I remember right, you can get one for a bootable DOS floppy, or you can temporarily install it in a Windows computer, and if the installed BIOS is new enough, there will be an option to update the BIOS, with the version you downloaded.  I'm going from memory and it's been awhile, but hopefully that will give you enough to figure it out.  I have had several Sil3132-based cards, and have had to flash each of them, used the bootable floppy once, and the Windows method the other time.