Not getting Gb connection to server with P4P800SE

80sMike

Hi guys-

I've been up and running for a few months now on v324.  My server is running on a Asus P4P800SE that has a Marvell 88E8001 Gb controller onboard.  It's also protected on a UPS.  A couple days ago we had a couple of really short blackouts that interrupted the network connection and I ended up having to reboot the server.  When it came back up I noticed it negotiated only a fast ethernet (100Mb) connection.  I've rebooted a couple of times and reset the switch, but it's still only getting 100Mb.  The funny thing is that thinking back I'm not entirely sure I ever did get Gb with this connection, and just chalked up slower transfers to the older drives I was using.  Obviously, I'd rather be getting faster speeds, and my understanding is that the Marvell controllers are supported for Gb by UnRaid.

I don't know enough about Linux to really troubleshoot this in the kernel or drivers, but I've ruled out everything else.  Any ideas?

Thanks-

Mike

What color are the led's on the motherboard after the network config has been established?  Green/Orange implies 1Gbit.

In the 2.060324 release you can unplug/plug the ethernet cable and each time you should hear the motherboard speaker beep and connection get re-established.  Look at the sytem log to see what speed is being negotiated.

Of course if possible physically connect another PC to exact cable & switch to see if it is negotiating 1Gbit speed.

Thanks guys-

It turned out to be the cable.  Funny thing is I had tested the cable with another machine (the one I'm typing this on), and was able to get Gb so I didn't try to swap it.  Probably just a finicky cable.  :-\  I made a new one with all 5e parts and it went green immediately.

Mike