Norco 4224 Backplane question

I just overhauled my complete server, including a new Norco 4224.

However, it appears that on some of my backplanes, only 3 of the 4 drives work (the second from the left doesn't seem to work).  I remember reading something about that issue somewhere around here.  However, I just spent forever searching and can't seem to find any relavant posts.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Are my backplanes busted?  I just spent 2 days building the machine, I'd hate to have to return this giant case.

I just recently purchased a 4224 and read all the reviews I could before the purchase. In my reading your issue cropped up and apparently is due to a missing resistor on the backplane. My Norco was a customer return and had a few missing parts, I contacted Norco and asked them if I should return it to my place of purchase, or could they provide the missing parts. They very quickly provided the parts.

Norco has very poor quality control, but excellent customer service. Thoroughly test your server, send an email off to Norco, and you will get your parts in less than a week.

If you have a bad backplane, they will swap it out. You can get a cross ship also.

If you have the 3.7 back planes, they are out of stock.  They will ship you a 3.6.

It is a little irritating that they intentionally shipped me the wrong one and said "who cares if they are not the same, the server will work. "

The LEDs are completely different between the two. Make sure they know what one you need and your willing to wait. a 3.6 in a 3.7 filled server looks awful

Dim vs bright LEDs and Top vs bottom.

I have had a 4224 missing a backplane since July now.

Thanks for all the info guys.  I do, in fact, have v3.7 backplanes.  After digging a bit further, I found a newegg review that said the R91 resistor was missing.  So, I pulled my backplanes and started comparing them.  I tried to take a picture of a working backplane vs a non-working backplane below.  It's a bit blurry, but you can see that both backplanes have the R91 resistor ... but the bad backplane doesn't have the resistor properly positioned.  I might have to head to the lab and do a little soldering to fix it up rather than waiting for Norco to get new boards out to me.

[EDIT: After examining all of my backplanes more carefully, it turns out that:

(1) has the R91 resistor positioned incorrectly;

(1) is missing the R91 completely

(1) has the R91 resistor but the LEDs for the first drive don't work

(1) the R91 resistor is there, all of the LEDs light up but the drives won't spin up

ARGH!  Only 2 out of 6 work  >:(

7M5dR.jpg.

Great detective work. I seem to recall someone had just as bad as luck as you at the Egg. They combined the parts from two cases and shipped one full of bad parts back. I was missing a whole back plane on mine, but all of the others worked fine (v 3.6 apparently, thanks for the info Johnm).

Great detective work. I seem to recall someone had just as bad as luck as you at the Egg. They combined the parts from two cases and shipped one full of bad parts back. I was missing a whole back plane on mine, but all of the others worked fine (v 3.6 apparently, thanks for the info Johnm).

I don't take credit for the detective work ... someone else discovered these issues before me.  I'm just relaying the info to the board with a terrible photo to go along with it. 

Interesting. To bad I can't look at mine.

I already sent my 3.7 and 3.6 they stuck me with back. I decided to combine shipping and wait. They said

I need to down my server for maintenance next weekend, I'll inspect all my backplanes very closely when I do.

they said should get 3.7's back around the 20th of oct.

That makes me wonder if they are shipping the new style dual USB cases with 3.6's until the 3.7's come into stock

That makes me wonder if they are shipping the new style dual USB cases with 3.6's until the 3.7's come into stock

Don't think so because they're not actually shipping any.  I originally ordered my 4224 from IPCdirect.  They took my order, charged my card, and then I didn't hear from them.  After about a week, I emailed them to see what was up and they told me that they didn't have any 4224s in stock and they wouldn't until October 15th.  When they finally get them in stock, who knows what backplane they'll be shipping with them.  Based on your interaction with them, it sounds like they'll be getting some new cases and new backplanes in around the same time.

Oddly enough, newegg just happened to get some into stock the same day that I decided to cancel my order with IPCdirect (I didn't want to wait until mid-October).  I ordered from newegg and received the latest style with v3.7 backplanes.

• 2 weeks later...

So Norco sent my 4 new backplanes to replace the defective backplanes that came with my case. 

However, they sent me v3.6 backplanes instead of v3.7 backplanes.

My question to those with experience using both backplanes ... are there any know problems with the v3.6 backplanes (other than dim LEDs)?  What changed between v3.6 and v3.7 besides the LEDs?

Hi Guys

Got my 4224 yesterday and I started to put it together last night and while I have not powered it up yet to find out if there are any issues with the resistors, I do have some issues with cables etc.

In the middle of the backplane is where the sata cables attach (six in total).  WHen looking at all the images here on the forum for the case, there is a hole for the cables to pass through directly behind the cable attachment point (inbetween the two middle fans).

On my case the connection point is off the the right slightly (about an inch), putting them just in front of the fan making it difficult to connect and it also puts pressure on the connectors and the backplane.

Second question - there are two sets of power connectors for each backplane (making twelve in total).  DO all need to be connected or only six.  Photos here show that only six need to be, but I want to make sure.

Mick

Does anyone else see this issue with their backplanes or do I have some newer version again for my case.

On my case the connection point is off the the right slightly (about an inch), putting them just in front of the fan making it difficult to connect and it also puts pressure on the connectors and the backplane.

I think all 4224 cases have been delivered with the same fan plate since production began. Choose SFF-8087 cables with this offset in mind. All cables I have seen can endure a little bending to accommodate the offset.

Second question - there are two sets of power connectors for each backplane (making twelve in total).  DO all need to be connected or only six.  Photos here show that only six need to be, but I want to make sure.

Only one set of the connectors need to be connected. The two adjacent connectors are electrically in parallel. With that said, more connections will not hurt. Make sure that you have three strands from your power supply feeding the drives so any given strand feed at most eight drives.

So Norco sent my 4 new backplanes to replace the defective backplanes that came with my case. 

My question to those with experience using both backplanes ... are there any know problems with the v3.6 backplanes (other than dim LEDs)?  What changed between v3.6 and v3.7 besides the LEDs?

The entire Backplane is differant between the 3.6 and the 3.7.

it looks like they started to put some "extra stuff" on the 3.6 and never added the chips. The traces are there but no chips. perhaps fail lights for certain raid controllers?

as far as actual drive function. they are the same. m

any people were complaining about the led's on the 3.6 being dim and getting dimmer or non functional over time.

additional complaints were also about the "cold solder points" for the leds not holding up on them. (both problems are related i believe)

It sounds like the 3.7's so far have had piss-poor quality control.

at least they are willing to swap out all 6.

I am not sure what i am going to do myself, my server that is missing a backplane is starting to become an issue for me. I would hate to buy another 4224 just for parts until norco gets their act together.

I am irritated at this point with them and their ignoring emails and sending wrong parts and short shipping orders (i had ordered some parts from them and they only shipped half my order).

The entire Backplane is differant between the 3.6 and the 3.7.

it looks like they started to put some "extra stuff" on the 3.6 and never added the chips. The traces are there but no chips. perhaps fail lights for certain raid controllers?

as far as actual drive function. they are the same. m

any people were complaining about the led's on the 3.6 being dim and getting dimmer or non functional over time.

additional complaints were also about the "cold solder points" for the leds not holding up on them. (both problems are related i believe)

It sounds like the 3.7's so far have had piss-poor quality control.

at least they are willing to swap out all 6.

I am not sure what i am going to do myself, my server that is missing a backplane is starting to become an issue for me. I would hate to buy another 4224 just for parts until norco gets their act together.

I am irritated at this point with them and their ignoring emails and sending wrong parts and short shipping orders (i had ordered some parts from them and they only shipped half my order).

Thanks for your input Johnm.  I considered RMA'ing my case to newegg, but newegg doesn't have any in stock.  In my communication with Norco, it sounds like it is unlikely that newegg will get any in stock anytime soon.  I plan to swap all of my v3.7s for v3.6s.  Hopefully I won't have any of the LED troubles that you mentioned above.

They had told me the 20th for fresh stock of 3.7's.

but..... that was a few weeks ago, that might have changed.

see if you can get a firm date from them. I'll send mike an email tomorrow to follow up.

If you dont plan on buying a second norco, i dont see the problem with swapping them out.

if you plan on getting a second unit, they wont match cosmetically.

it sounds like this backplane business is hurting them.