unRAID Server release 4.2.3 available

Download.

This is a "patch" release of the 4.2 series.  This release fixes two bugs:

- fixes 'parity-swap' feature, and

- fixes a User Share file rename problem.

I decided to release this patch because the next release will be 4.3-beta1, which will be the first of a set of beta releases with many other changes & there are many customers who (understandably) do not want to use a beta release.  Hence, I feel this bug fix warrants a patch release.

"What happened to 4.2.2?" you might ask... well it contained just the 'parity-swap' fix and was only made available to a few customers.

"How about 4.3-beta1?" you might ask... this should also be released this week.  The -beta1 release will contain the latest linux kernel (2.6.24.3) and latest drivers.  Hopefully this will fix the Realtec driver issues.  Hopefully we'll get the latest Samba release in there as well.

The -beta2 release will start to see some new features implemented.

unRAID Server 4.2.3 Release Notes

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
--------------------------------------------
If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Changes from 4.2.2 to 4.2.3
---------------------------

Bug Fix: fixed directory rename problem with user shares

Bug Fix: get rid of auth & comsat services from inetd.conf.

Changes from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2
---------------------------

Improvement: include /usr/src/linux/.config file used to build the kernel.

Improvement: include ULi SATA support

Bug Fix: fixed problem with "swap-disable" configuration not being recognized.

Note: Tom thinks it might have been an add-on script I had running...

Might want to hold off installing 4.2.3 if you are planning on adding any new disks to your array.  Looks like the clearing process of a adding new drive ends up in an infinite loop

I'll create a thread in the 4.2 forum to document what has happened so far...

Edit: the process did complete after clearing the new drive the second time.  That is good news.

Tom thinks that it might because I had an add-on script checking my array status at exactly the same time the array was being expanded, and this had nothing to do with the 4.2.3 release, just the first time the two activities happened at the same time (my luck)  He is investigating, and will probably add to his laundry list to make changes to ensure the two activities can not interfere with each other in future releases.

Joe L.