Useful Windows Utilities: Checksum, De-Dupe, RSync, Others?

trurl

Here are some great Windows file management utilities that I have been using recently with my unRAID.

These are all freeware:

ExactFile

This will make and check md5 files that are compatible with md5deep.

Duplicate Cleaner

Find and remove duplicate files. Lots of options for matching and selecting what to remove.

DeltaCopy

Rsync client and server.

Not free,

but couldn't live without it, unRAID or not:

Directory Opus

Anyone else found anything good?

I've been using TreeSize for years as well.

No financial interest in DOpus. I just occasionally pay for things that I think are worthwhile, such as unRAID.

If you want free stuff for Window 7 check out these lists over at sevenforums:

FREE Great Programs for Window 7

Free Native 64-bit programs

There are even some interesting free file managers in those lists that I might consider if I hadn't already paid for DOpus.

Another free one I use that is on one of those lists is Cobian Backup

Macrium Reflect

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx?x-free=Y

backup solution (automatically backups my pc to the unraid system every Saturday night)

also backups once a month the unraid flash drive to my hard drive (have seen some horror stories with flash drives getting wiped but no backup done).

If the computer is not on when the backup should be done ,it will do it the next time

Was very impressed and went and bought the software £35

if anything happens to my pc, i can boot up using a cd, and it see the unraid system and reload the disk image on the fly.

Bulk Rename Untility! This has saved me so much time renaming all those Pokemon episodes :)

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Had a quick look at the screen shot of the program, lot of options!

the renamer program i use has a nice simple layout (but powerful options)

http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer

I also use it for digital photos to rename all IMG_xxx.jpg to the EXIF date

Great thing about is you can save your rename options and reload them any time.

• 3 years later...

Notepad++ is very useful for file viewing, searching and editing but what I don't like about it is it caches previous opened files on tabs at the top and I haven't found the option to turn that off anywhere. Drives me nuts.

I love that option, means I can keep things I'm working on in the program. 

Notepad++ is very useful for file viewing, searching and editing but what I don't like about it is it caches previous opened files on tabs at the top and I haven't found the option to turn that off anywhere. Drives me nuts.

Except that I've found that it's not always 100% perfect in picking up changes in files when they are networked, unless I forcibly hit "reload"

Except that I've found that it's not always 100% perfect in picking up changes in files when they are networked, unless I forcibly hit "reload"

I've never actually used notepad++ since I was already using TextPad before I started using unRAID and it will do many of the same things. I've never had a problem with it picking up changes in network files. I have even had a file open on the network when another process changed it and it prompts me to reload or not.

Never meant to resurrect this thread I started years ago when I posted a link to it recently.

WinDirStat

scans all drives and gives you a list of all files and has a visual area showing all files by size and colored by group. great for finding out exactly whats eating up your storage. also good for figuring out what is taking up 30 gigs on the cache drive without digging into each subfolder and then figuring out that Plex is a HDD hog.

not sure how to get it up and running on unraid. prob needs a VM. havent gotten there yet!

I hated that "feature" too and disabled it.

To disable, go into Settings->Preferences->MISC-> and uncheck "Remember current session for next launch".

WinDirStat

scans all drives and gives you a list of all files and has a visual area showing all files by size and colored by group. great for finding out exactly whats eating up your storage. also good for figuring out what is taking up 30 gigs on the cache drive without digging into each subfolder and then figuring out that Plex is a HDD hog.

not sure how to get it up and running on unraid. prob needs a VM. havent gotten there yet!

There is a docker named DUC (Disk Usage Charts) for that.

Archived