[SOLVED] Red Ball on 4.7

Hey guys,

Been using unRAID for a while now and everything has been working great. My GF complained about slow writes/extracting on the server so I logged in and did a reboot to see if that would fix the issue.

After a reboot my 1TB W.D drive is now out of service :-( I had a skim through the syslog but I couldn't figure out why/where it was marked as bad.

I guess the next step is to remove the drive and check SMART/WDDIAG.

Is it likely the drive has gone bad or could it just be a random write error? Should I just try rebuilding on the same drive and see what happens?

Ofc this happens two weeks after hard drive prices double due to floods overseas.. lucky me :-P

Any thoughts? Syslog attached.

syslog.txt

Hey guys,

Been using unRAID for a while now and everything has been working great. My GF complained about slow writes/extracting on the server so I logged in and did a reboot to see if that would fix the issue.

After a reboot my 1TB W.D drive is now out of service :-( I had a skim through the syslog but I couldn't figure out why/where it was marked as bad.

I guess the next step is to remove the drive and check SMART/WDDIAG.

Is it likely the drive has gone bad or could it just be a random write error? Should I just try rebuilding on the same drive and see what happens?

Ofc this happens two weeks after hard drive prices double due to floods overseas.. lucky me :-P

Any thoughts? Syslog attached.

It is as likely as anything the 1TB drive had been marked as failed and simulated.  While simulated, the array performance would not be as fast.

Yes, get a smart report.  The failure was probable in the syslog lost when you rebooted.

I would re-seat cables and attempt to rebuild onto the same drive first.  You'll have to boot with it un-assigned, then re-assign it to get it to think of it as its own replacement.

Just tested the drive:

- SMART OK

- SHORT TEST OK

- FULL TEST OK

The drive had hardly any data on it anyway, looks like about 60mb max.

I'm using WDDIAG to do a full zero of the drive, i'll re-assign and see what happens.

Might pick myself up another 2TB while i can get them cheap (computer store perks).

Cheers

my 1.5 TB WD green red balled, same symptoms as you have, I can't find a reason.

Nothing in the log files that I can see. Smart report is good, no problems.

I guess I can always try the WD utilities.

Let me know if you were successful getting it online!

Everything tested OK so i zeroed the drive with WDDIAG and reassigned it in unRAID, rebuild took a few hours and now it's green again.

So far so good. Picked up a 2TB today from work for $120 while i could still get one cheap(ish) but just realised I have no SATA ports free QQ.

Time to go controller card shopping..

Archived