unRAID Server release 4.3-beta1 available

Download.

Here we go again...

The first main change in the 4.3 release is an upgrade to the linux 2.6.24.3 kernel.  This kernel includes numerous driver updates and bug fixes.  Hopefully the Realtec driver issues are behind us now.  Another notable feature of this kernel is SATA Port Multipler support.  This works with SIL313x host cards talking to SIL-based port multipliers.  Finally, unRAID OS now supports up to 4GB main system RAM (though still only single-core).

The next main change in the 4.3 release is an almost total re-write of the User Share pseudo-file system [this is what delayed this release by a few days].  It is now possible to create objects (files & directories) directly on disk shares and have them immediately show up in the corresponding user share.  The new user share file system is now much more memory efficient, and it should be possible to use very high 'split-level's if that's what you want to do.

We also added the vsftpd FTP server.  In this release, there are no user controls for this yet - it's just pre-configured to allow any defined user to log in & that user will have full access to all shares, both disk shares and user shares.  Configuration controls in the System Management Utility will be added in a subsequent beta release.

unRAID Server 4.3-beta1 Release Notes

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
--------------------------------------------
If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Changes from 4.2.3 to 4.3-beta1
-------------------------------

Improvement: With user shares enabled, directories/files created directly in a disk share will show up immediately in the correct user share.

Improvement: Included 'vsftpd' server.

Improvement: Upgrade to linux kernel 2.6.24.3.

Improvement: Enable kernel support of up to 4GB of memory.

Updating one of my systems as I type this! Having files show up as soon as they are copied to a top level share is EXCELLENT news! Will test on this box and then move to the one I really need to work perfectly for my media ;D

P.S. Boots FAST now - no more taking forever to go through drives?

I'm not using windows NFS, but would like to use linux NFS.

It's one of the things holding me back from a full migration to a full fledged unraid server.

I use autofs to mount and unmount the servers as needed.

each host in my network having an autofs mount point for the name of the host

/hercules

/xena

/gollum

/gatekeeper

/overlord

/underlord

/radiobot

/kuro

/backup

etc, etc.

I like to just cd to the hostname and move where I need.

autofs mounts and unmounts as needed.

I tried doing this with smbfs, but then permissions are not kept the way they are needed. :(

Another notable feature of this kernel is SATA Port Multipler support.  This works with SIL313x host cards talking to SIL-based port multipliers.

Could someone give a concrete example of hardware that would make this work, ideally using the full width of the PCIe bus on a P5B VM DO?

Much obliged,

ReneV

Another notable feature of this kernel is SATA Port Multipler support.  This works with SIL313x host cards talking to SIL-based port multipliers.

Could someone give a concrete example of hardware that would make this work, ideally using the full width of the PCIe bus on a P5B VM DO?

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm.asp

Connects to 1 port of any SiI3132 addon card, PCI Express X1.

since there is no swap, some operations need the extra RAM (you can find reports on problems esp. concerning larger number of user shares)

at least now my (very close to reality now) unRAID will be able to use all the RAM I already have on the machine I plan to use as unRAID (2GB)...

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm.asp

Connects to 1 port of any SiI3132 addon card, PCI Express X1.

Hi RobJ, thats a unique product you found there.  Do you have to purchase an Sil3132 addon card, or could it work by connecting to a motherboard's onboard esata port.  Not an SIL chipset port as far as I can tell. 

Sorry for being dense but the ram support answer is still not clear to me.  Pre-built systems only come with 1GB.  The new beta supports up to 4GB.  Is this in preparation for new speed enhancements previously  mentioned that require the additional ram as a buffer?  Or is this to support those who have other applications running on their servers?  If it is the former, what is the optimal amount of ram?

Thanks and regards,  Peter

I will try answering.  If you use Unraid as most of us do, then adding addition RAM offers no benefit.

However, there are at least four reasons why it may be beneficial:

1. If you use shares and have very large directory structures (otherwise the system crashes/hangs since there is no swap)

2. If you are running a separate app on the same box leveraging the linux instance

3. If you are setting up some sort of ramdisk (probably related to #2)

4. For future use of unraid

Bill

Pre-built systems only come with 1GB.

Actually, the original IDE based MD1200 unRaid hardware only had 512 Meg of ram, and it does perfectly fine.  So, you can add RAM, and it might be useful in some circumstances, but odds are the only reason it is now 1 Gig, is that RAM has gotten cheaper, and 1 Gig is not much difference in cost than 512 Meg.  You probably will not notice much difference, if any at all.

The way many of us use the unRaid server is far different than using office automation tools (word processors, spreadsheets, data-bases)  Large amounts of "buffer" do not help, since we cannot buffer an entire DVD.ISO or Movie, and even if we did, we do not immediately play it again to take advantage of the buffer in memory.  Instead, we play it from start to finish.  Some read-ahead buffering helps keep the hard-disk busy, but other than that, when playing a media file, several gigs of buffer are pretty much useless.

Now, on your office PC, we constantly use the same programs and files.  Having enough RAM so they can all be in memory at the same time, and not have to swap one out when using the other make a huge difference.    Having MS-Word in memory so it does not have to be read from the disk when invoked make start-up much quicker.  In fact, Microsoft often loads MS-Office and Internet Explorer into memory before you invoke them to make it appear as if they are faster than their competitors... at the expense of using up memory.  None of this applies to unRaid and its need to buffer the I/O to the disks.

Joe L.