SUPERMICRO X10SL-7 Build - UPDATED 04/05/2019

I originally built this server about five years ago and have been updating/upgrading as needed with changing file sizes and to utilize virtual environments for testing and general computing.  This server houses all my media (Movies, TV, Music), user files from every windows machine on my network, OS backups of each machine as well as hosting Docker images and VM images.  It's an AiO solution for 24/7 SABnzbd, SB and CP as well as a centralized sql database for syncing my XBMC instances. After running on complete consumer grade parts I decided to upgrade most internal components with server low/mid level, with the foundation being the Supermicro X10SL-7.  For 250.00 I can't think of a better board for the money back when I first upgraded my build.  I had zero issues flashing the on-board LSI SAS controller to IT mode and it recognized all my WD red drives just fine.  I updated both the BIOS and IPMI firmware before I started the build. 

USB Drive:  SanDisk Ultra-Fit 32 GB

CPU: Intel core i3 4360

CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D14

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL-7

RAM: 16 GB Crucial 1333 DDR3 ECC

Case: Lian Li PC-A77F

Drive Cage(s): iStarUSA BP-350-Red x 4

Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum-660 (SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3)

SATA Expansion Card(s): SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

Cables: 3WARE Cable Multi-lane Internal Cable (SFF-8087) | Supermicro/Amphenol terminated, shielded SATA cables

Ethernet Cables: Blue Jeans Cable CAT6A patch cables, certified

Fans: Noctua - 2x NF-A14 PWM (top exhaust) | NF-S12A PWM (rear exhaust)

Parity Drive: Western Red 4TB

Data Drives: Western Red 4 TB x 5, Western Digital Red 3 TB x 6

Cache Drive: Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250 GB

Total Drive Capacity: 39 TB array, 250 GB cache drive

Primary Use:  Media hosting/streaming, general file storage, Docker images, Windows and Linux VMs

Likes:  unRAID is the perfect solution for a home file server, and more.

Dislikes:  NONE - I have filled the case with Noctua fans, it's whisper quiet until a parity check

Dockers Used:  SABnzbd, MEDUSA, Couch Potato, Headphones, Hydra 2, Lidarr, Munin-Server

Add-on Used:  

Future Plans: Continue to replace smaller/outdated drives with larger Western Digital Red series drives.  Possibly move to the maximum of 32 GB of RAM.

Disk connection configuration: (current)

Intel® C222 Express PCH

2x SATA (6Gbps)

Parity

Cache

4x SATA (3Gbps)

NC

Disk 2

Disk 3

Disk 11

8 x SAS2 (6Gbps) via on-board LSI 2308

Disk 1

Disk 4

Disk 5

Disk 6

Disk 7

Disk 8

Disk 9

Disk 10

Array is currently at 84% usage

/dev/sdb (Parity): 113 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdh (Disk 1): 112 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdc (Disk 2): 94 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdd (Disk 3): 86 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdg (Disk 4): 115 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdk (Disk 5): 108 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdf (Disk 6): 96 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdl (Disk 7): 96 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdj (Disk 8): 115 MB/sec avg

/dev/sdi (Disk 9): 106 MB/sec avg

/dev/sde (Cache): 112 MB/sec avg

percent.jpeg

size.jpeg

Drive Identification

Parity:   WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0   -4.0 TB

Disk 1:   WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0    -3.0 TB

Disk 2:  WDC WD30EFRX-00MVWB0   -3.0 TB

Disk 3:  WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0   -4.0 TB

Disk 4:  WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0   -3.0 TB

Disk 5:  WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0   -4.0 TB

Disk 6:  WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0   -4.0 TB

Disk 7:  WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0   -4.0 TB

Disk 8:  WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0    -3.0 TB

Disk 9:  WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0   -3.0 TB

Disk 10: WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0   -4.0 TB

Disk 11:  WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0   -3.0 TB

Cache: Samsung_SSD_840_EVO      -250 GB

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

imagejpg2-1.jpg

imagejpg1-1.jpg

imagejpg2-1.jpg

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

I used to have all my SATA cables bundled together but have since read that can degrade performance because of crosstalk.  I had no idea that a standard good quality SATA cable wouldn't be shielded.

unRAID is a perfect solution for my needs.  This server sits in my office where everyone can see it, hence the nice case.  Having been a network administrator for the better part of a decade, I can tell you that unRAID is a dream to work with.  Completely stable and reliable.  I've been extremely pleased with my cage/case decision.  There is plenty of room to work and the case has great airflow.

Edited by prongATO
updated hardware and software

I do like the look of those drive cages with that case.  You say the drive cage fans are a bit loud.  Are they replaceable?

That case sure is expensive, but I suppose it's par for the course with Lian Li.  It would be neat to get one in one of the alternate colors...there aren't too many red servers out there!

I do like the look of those drive cages with that case.  You say the drive cage fans are a bit loud.  Are they replaceable?

That case sure is expensive, but I suppose it's par for the course with Lian Li.  It would be neat to get one in one of the alternate colors...there aren't too many red servers out there!

Yeah the fans are replaceable but I noticed that using a regular thickness 25mm fan really reduced the effectiveness of the airflow.  It fits, but the fan is sandwiched up next to the back-plane PCB so there's little airflow on the outside slots.  I can't remember the stock fan thickness but it's not 25mm.  I'd really have to do some research to find one that has sufficient airflow with a better acoustic signature.  The istarusa cages have a 2 speed fan adjustment on back though, on the low speed it's tolerable.  The high speed is super-loud.  This would be less of an issue if the server were housed somewhere out of the way but it's literally sitting 8 feet behind me as I write this.  

Also, it's a non-standard connector for the fan to the PCB so you'll need a soldering iron and some heatshrink to change fans.  (replace the connector on the new fan)

I finally decided on the Lian-li for a few reasons.  I've always preferred aluminum cases.  I just couldn't seem to find another case that could support 4 5in3's that had a nice classic clean lines look.  I build 95% of my computers in either Lian-li cases or Silverstone.