Comparison between Twonky, Plex and Airvideo servers

aht961

I have been looking for a media server which could fulfill most of my expectations. Tried quite a few, each had their pros and cons. None of them were perfect enough to justify installation as a dedicated single server. In order for you to make a proper choice before installation I decided to write down the features of these servers. All the following are based on my personal experience and preferences. If you find some wrong info or wish to add some features which worked for you but which I was not aware of, please feel free to add.

If you don't want to spend much time with your media beforehand (ie. no conversion, sraight forward ripping or recording tv via pvr), then the easiest and the most feature rich server is twonky (downsides: no metadata). Coupled with a suitable player for your iPad/iphone, you are ready to go. Playsation and android devices are ok as well. XBMC is just fine. The most versatile server so far. A real uPNP/DLNA software.

If you are more than happy to spend hours converting to suitable media (H.264 I use - with the help of Elgato Turbo H264), burning the subtitles and etc. then I recommend Plex, which is superb as a mediacenter and you can use your big plasma. You can add plug-ins like spotify and hulu and many others. If you just want to add the server automatically and use only your iPad for watching the movies, then go for the Air video. At the end of the day, you get tired or bored of all this converting and arranging business and want to just drop the media and forget it, then twonky comes handy.

Modified: 14 Dec 2011, * according to naxland and ** to Bungy below

server.jpg.76332c5f68303d936562eb301505e1b0.jpg

Thank you so much this is really precious... So I understand Twonky is the best for all around usage? Is it also good to play your entire (big) music collection through an Apple TV for example?

You are welcome. Since I do not have an Apple TV, I cannot say if it could stream out of package. However, once Plex or XBMC installed (google, that is possible), there should not be any problem. Or if you have iPhone or iPad then you can use one of the players I have mentioned in the list (or in addition to them PlugPlayer or MLPlayer) and stream the music to Apple Tv via the Air Play. Irregardless of the size of the archive or the songs (e.g. all my music is using lossless- apple codec), I have not encountered any problems in streaming. UnRaid really rocks. I have all these three servers running simultaneously without any memory problems.

Thank you so much this is really precious... So I understand Twonky is the best for all around usage? Is it also good to play your entire (big) music collection through an Apple TV for example?

aht961 Plus 1  ;D

I've tried MiniDlna w/o much success and currently have a Logitech Revue (Google TV) but haven't been able to get a DLNA Player to work successfully.  Also tried Sony/Roku/Patriot/etc. with similar results.  My problem is trying to get the unRaid to send out an acceptable DLNA signal and/or set-up a "Share" for these players. 

FYI the Revue has a great keyboard that I've used from upstairs ~ 200 ft away and it still communicated with the box w/o problems, plus it has a HDMI passthrough so my cable box (Tivo) can co-exist on the Projector/TV screen and I can "surf" pip at same time.  PS - its a bargain (though Logitech is killing the Revue - at $ 129 - the USB camera alone retails for $ 149), scoop it up at BB.

aht961 - your chart is great!  How did you invoke the Twonky et. al into your unRaid.  Is there a pkg mgr or did you have to manualy load these into your go script?

Dave

aht961 - your chart is great!  How did you invoke the Twonky et. al into your unRaid.  Is there a pkg mgr or did you have to manualy load these into your go script?

Dave

I have installed TMS on cache drive, in addition added a script in the unMenu's users' scripts page, so I could turn it on/off. Earlier I had written a guide for installing in these forums (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11758.0). Try that, and if you have problems, please let me know, I can try to help you.

I have not got the PS3 server installed, so could not comment on that. However, I do not understand why one should require a dedicated server for PS3? My son's PS3 easily could browse and play the files of the TMS. If your concern is the ripped VIDEO_TS files, you must forget Plex and AirServer any way, so all you are left with is TMS. I'm sure PS3 Server will do also, however, I would be quite suprised if it could handle other jobs the TMS could. TMS has a rather boring interface without all these bells and whistles but it is a real uPnP server. Until now, I have not seen a single device or player that could not automatically pick up the TMS from the local network.  

• 7 months later...

Hi, the above suggests that you have Twonky able to play video from VIDEO_TS folders with the functionality and structure of the original DVD.  Is that correct?  The only references I can find on the Twonky site state that that can't be done.  But it is just what I need.  I'd be grateful for your perspective.  Thanks.