Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 vs IBM ServeRAID M1015?

Hi Guys,

Any preferences between the 2 cards below? It is $50 price difference when I have to buy 2 cards for a 20-drive build (non-ESXi). I have read the LSI patch thread so I understand that I will have to apply the patch to M1015 card. So is it worth the $50 saving and go with M1015 or just go to with Supermicro and be safe?

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA Add-on Card - $108 (http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AOC-SASMV8&title=Supermicro-AOC-SASLP-MV8-8-Port-SAS-SATA-Add-on-Card)

vs

IBM ServeRAID M1015 SAS RAID FRU 46M0861 w HIGH Bracket - $75 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160701942618#ht_1618wt_1396)

I'd search the forums to see if anyone has used either card in combination with your motherboard. I know the supermicros a a little finicky running on some boards but there is a workaround if you search my threads. Pick the one that is most compatible with your board.

Then I'd pick whichever is easier to setup and maintain.

To me trying to patch stuff and whatnot is not worth the extra money.

Josh

All other things being equal, I think the preference would be for the M1015 since it has an 8x PCI-Express interface instead of the slower 4x PCI-Express interface on the Supermicro card.

Though depending on which 5.x beta you want to run, you're likely to run into possible issues with either card.

I'd search the forums to see if anyone has used either card in combination with your motherboard. I know the supermicros a a little finicky running on some boards but there is a workaround if you search my threads. Pick the one that is most compatible with your board.

Then I'd pick whichever is easier to setup and maintain.

To me trying to patch stuff and whatnot is not worth the extra money.

Josh

I am going to use this motherboard: ECS A885GM-A2 V1.1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135272)

All other things being equal, I think the preference would be for the M1015 since it has an 8x PCI-Express interface instead of the slower 4x PCI-Express interface on the Supermicro card.

Though depending on which 5.x beta you want to run, you're likely to run into possible issues with either card.

Planning on running 4.7 for now. Not sure if running the beta is going to buy me anything since I don't have any 3 Tb drives for now. Unless there are any other important features that I am missing...

Also, I just need to flash M1015 as described here?:

• 5 months later...