Stop Win7 PC from sleeping while transferring files to server

DGalt

I use my desktop to rip my dvd / blurays, which I then transfer in large batches to my unraid server. Since I usually do this with entire seasons of tv shows or a number of bluray movies all at once (meaning I'm transferring a couple hundred GBs at a time), it can take a couple hrs for the entire transfer to go through.

More than once my computer has gone to sleep while the files are transferring. It usually resumes when the computer wakes back up, but it has caused issues on occasion. I've been trying to remember to go in and tell the computer to never sleep when I'm doing these large transfers, but I don't always remember

I would think that this shouldn't be happening, since the computer is technically still active. It's a Windows 7 machine...are there any settings that might be affecting this

Should also know that this occurs when I'm actually ripping files (using MakeMKV) that take a long time to rip (usually big blurays)...i.e. a longer time than the amount of "inactive" time before my computer goes to sleep.

thoughts?

That is definitely a weird issue. I think the counter for the sleep setting uses user interaction on keyboard and mouse activity and not running apps. My PC also goes to sleep even if it is busy with scanning an HD during a file recovery if Sleep is not set to never.

Please check if there is a setting added in scheduled tasks and also check the power management settings on the BIOS. Hoping someone else will chime in on this forum.

I have a feeling you're right...although it's weird, because if music is playing the computer will never sleep. I think there's probably some media component to the sleep timer as well.

I'll take a look at what you suggested and see if there's anything

A workaround for your issue could be to use a free program called "Allway Sync". I use it anytime I want to move a large amount of data. I have had copy fail issues just using Windows copy or move, sometimes things just won't get copied if there are program conflicts.

I know this doesn't answer you sleep issue, but perhaps it will help.

Unfortunately Windows sleep does work off of the keyboard or mouse. There are programs that will move your mouse curser or keep a small program open to prevent windows from sleeping. I am not sure if they have a specific time option to keep them running though. More than likely not the answer you are looking for as you would need to close the program or guess at how much time you need to transfer the files. That is the only work around that I know of for this problem.

Archived