Interested in pre-built servers, support, and server components in Australia?

Rajahal

Hello all! We at Greenleaf Technology have been chatting with chickensoup, an Australian native and new-comer to the unRAID community, about the possibility of offering Greenleaf servers, tech support, and server components (especially from hard to find brands such as Supermicro and Norco) from a local branch office in QLD, Australia (offering shipping & delivery throughout Australia).  chickensoup is interested in heading up this project for us, but we need to make sure make sure there is enough interest in this idea before diving head-long into it.  As we don't have the means to conduct international market research right now, we figured we would just open the question up to the unRAID community.  If you are an Ozzie or resident of Australia, please vote in the poll above!  Comments welcome below.

Thanks very much!

- Raj

Where were you six months ago? :) I would have seriously considered a custom built unRAID box if one had been available in Australia. Taking a look at your website the boxes seem remarkably similar to what I built. The price jump between the non-IPMI and IPMI versions of your systems are baffling as the IPMI boards aren't THAT much more expensive than the standard boards without IPMI. Looking at the pics modular PSU and better cable management would be a something to consider as well. If I am paying a premium to have something built then I expect a neat, tidy layout.

Don't need any components right now and hopefully won't in a long while.

If I was starting again I'd probably try a supermicro with IPMI and i3 combo. When I was looking it was costly and I didn't think it was worth the money. If you have the server parts and the price is competitive with me just buying it straight from the US I would go with you lot.

However won't be buying anything other than HDDs in the near future.

Hope that helps you.

Josh

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I havent read much into IPMI, however when I built my personal unRAID box I was hunting for a Q57 chipset motherboard and they are impossible to get over here. The only way I was going to get one was buying direct from the US so I ended up going for a H57 board. Q57/Q67 support iAMT which I guess is pretty much the same technology and would have been very useful at times, although for home use it is a little more of a luxury than a necessity.

If there is enough interest then I will look at making arrangements with Raj for importing some goodies in bulk to contribute to the Aussie community. We always get the leftovers down here..

This is great timing. I'd be interested in offering services in Sydney, where I am, or will permanently by the end of this year. (Currently commuting to Syd).

The advantage for me is that I've just taken a transfer for work and get to LA 1 to 3 times a month. Will soon be going to HKG too, and stay not far from Shenzhen,  ;)  Maybe could get a container of cases shipped in? I've been thinking about this alot lately.

The biggest obstacle is the price of the Supermicro boards, and the Norco cases.

Take the Norco RPC-450 4U, $80 on Newegg, over $200 here.

Anyway PM me if you like.

Mitch

• 1 month later...

I am based in Brisbane and am just starting to look at putting together my first unRAID system.

(I have a friend that is looking to do the same FWIW)

I'd be keen to be able to purchase this stuff locally.

I am guessing our timing won't quite line up (I will look to do something in the next couple of months which I am guessing is not in the timeframe something like this would take off)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi delaney,

We've hashed out the details of a US to Australia supply chain, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough demand at the moment to justify the bulk of parts we would need to ship to make the endeavor worthwhile.  Instead, we've worked out a temporary shipping arrangement with FedEx that allows us to ship pre-built servers at a fraction of the normal cost ($450 flat rate instead of the standard $1500+).  If you or your friend are interested in this service, please email us at [email protected].  Thanks for your interest and feedback!

• 1 month later...

I've found the price discrepencies quite shocking as well. Recently just put in a quotation for some Supermicro products via one of their distributers here and the prices I've got back sometimes are much much higher than what I could get the in US + shipping.

X9SCL+-F Motherboard

Amazon: $199 USD ( can't quote shipping because I'm getting it consolidated with a bunch of other stuff via comGateway )

AU: $230 AUD ex GST

CSE-M35T Drive cages

Amazon: $111 USD + $13USD local shipping within the US ( Shipping 3 of these to AU from comGateway was another $200 AUD )

AU: $260 AUD ex GST