unRaid Directory Structure

The structure is pretty simple.  If you have disk shares enabled, then you will see each of your disks as an individual network share named disk1, disk2, etc.  You can then customize the directory structures on each disk however you see fit.

If you have user shares enabled, then a user share will automatically be created for every directory that is at the root of every drive.  For example, if you have a folder named 'Movies' on disk1 and disk2, then you will see a user share named 'Movies' that contains everything in both folders on both disks.

The only other odd-balls are the flash and cache shares.  Each one is just a view of the contents of the flash drive and the cache drive (if present).  You can structure directories on the cache drive however you wish.

I've noticed occasionally that the system also creates a user share for folders in the root of the the cache drive. I think this might be a bug though (5b14), since it doesn't do it every time, and you can't delete the folder from the web GUI once it's been created. Anyway, if you prepend the folder name with a period, it's ignored.

So I just installed Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, and Logitechmediaserver in separate folders within /mnt/cache/.packages/. Sabnzbd downloads to /mnt/user/Downloads. Sickbeard processes the files from there and moves them to /mnt/user/TV

-A

I've noticed occasionally that the system also creates a user share for folders in the root of the the cache drive. I think this might be a bug though (5b14), since it doesn't do it every time, and you can't delete the folder from the web GUI once it's been created. Anyway, if you prepend the folder name with a period, it's ignored.

So I just installed Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, and Logitechmediaserver in separate folders within /mnt/cache/.packages/. Sabnzbd downloads to /mnt/user/Downloads. Sickbeard processes the files from there and moves them to /mnt/user/TV

-A

5b14 has a "cache only" user share feature.

I'm not sure I know what you mean... the cache drive is configured to Exported = no, and in the Samba share settings menu I've got 'cache' listed in the excluded disks. I would have thought that would prevent anything on the cache drive from being shared :P

if you have User Shares turned on you have to make sure to set the User share as "use cache drive" to no.

But, if there is a folder at the root of the cache drive it will still create a user share out of it.  You can set that user share to what ever export type you want.

The "cache only" feature for a user share tells the mover script to NOT move that folder from the cache drive into the parity protected array

That's the thing though, I WANT my user shares to use the cache drive. I just don't want folders created in the cache drive's root to show up as shares.

I still don't think what I'm describing is intended behaviour. If I create a folder via CLI in /mnt/cache, then it appears as a share. However, it does not have an entry in /boot/config/shares, and I cannot delete it properly via the user shares menu on the web GUI. You select delete, click Apply and it just kicks you back to the user shares menu. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I've avoided the problem by naming the folder with a leading period.

I hadn't noticed the "only" option in the user share config screen until you mentioned it. That's interesting, but I doubt I'll use it :) My cache drive is intentionally rather small.

-A

I assume you mean the directory structure on the server and specificially the disk and user share directory structure.

The disks appear in /mnt. You will find them like /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2 etc.

The user shares appear in /mnt/user. You will find them like /mnt/user/Movies and /mnt/user/TV_Shows for example. This user share includes all the files including the data temorarily stored on the cache drive. If you write to this location on the server and the user share is set to use the cache disk then the files will be written to the cache disk exactly the same as writing to the user share over the network.

The user shares also appear in /mnt/user0. You will find them like /mnt/user0/Movies and /mnt/user0/TV_Shows for example. This directory includes all the files on the protected array but does not include the temporary files stored on the cache drive. You could write to this user share to skip using the cache disk and put the file directly to the protected array. This location was basically created so the mover script can figure out what files in the user share doesn't exist on the protected array.

I hope this helps. Let me know if something still isn't clear.

Ambrotos - You have completely hijacked someone elses thread. I'll respond just because it might help the OP.

It's working exactly like expected. Every root directory on every data disk and the cache disk is a user share. If you create a directory on a drive it becomes a user share. You can't delete a user share if there is data in it. The user share will appear and you can see it on the setup page but won't have a config file if you created it by making a directory. There will be a config fie if you save the settings on the user share setup page. The directories with the period (.) in front of them are internal user shares and they appear in the user share directory on the server. However, they are ignored as far as the setup and aren't shared on the network.

If you go to the internal user share directory at mnt/user and do a ls -a you will find all the top level directories as user shares including the ones with a period in front of them.

The new beta has a feature called cache drive only. You can set-up a share and instead of picking "use cache drive" you pick the "cache drive only" option. Then, the user share will only exist on the cache drive and it will not be moved. This is a way to get around having to use a period in front of any directory you want to keep on the cache drive. You can then set the share to not be exported over the network, or you could export it hidden for maintanance purposes. You could put all those programs into a user share called Applications and assign it to be on the cache drive only as a hidden share. I don't run the beta so I really can't tell you more details.

Peter